See deleted comments

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

See deleted comments

Postby Campion » July 3rd, 2018, 11:10 am

I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement with out changing the templates, but an ability for admins to see deleted comments (without ability to reply since they're deleted) would be a good feature. This would be especially good for less than cordial comments.
Campion

Re: See deleted comments

Postby eishiya » July 3rd, 2018, 12:02 pm

In what way would it be useful to keep crappy comments around? Currently, I think they're just fully deleted. The site already does seem to have some structure for hidden comments, though.

Though I'm fine with deleted comments being fully deleted as they are, I have a couple of ideas/suggestions for how this could be implemented with relatively little work:
At its most basic, it would require no changes to the template system. The site would simply not output comments marked as "deleted" if the account viewing the page isn't an author, and would output them as regular comments, the same way that Delete link availability is determined for individual comments. Attempting to reply to them would produce basic replies, but other people wouldn't see what you replied to, same as currently happens if you delete a comment that has replies to it.
A nicer but still simple option would be to add "deleted" to deleted comments' REPLY_CLASS, so that template designers could add some additional styling to deleted comments to highlight them, and perhaps hide the reply links. Even if the reply links are still there, users would know replying is pointless.
eishiya

Postby Campion » July 5th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Actually, I was thinking more for comments that I get notified of, but never get to see before they're deleted, not just for abusive comments. Although, showing the abusive comments could let you keep track of who said what.
Campion

Postby mitchellbravo » July 5th, 2018, 7:56 pm

I feel like this would dissuade me from leaving comments :/ I don't comment often, but there have been a few times where I left a comment, then felt silly about it and deleted it. Nothing abusive or negative, just "Eh... maybe I'll just keep that to myself" after the post was made. I'd feel less forthcoming about sharing if I didn't have that option to delete something I no longer wanted the author to see.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby eishiya » July 5th, 2018, 8:57 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:I feel like this would dissuade me from leaving comments :/ I don't comment often, but there have been a few times where I left a comment, then felt silly about it and deleted it. Nothing abusive or negative, just "Eh... maybe I'll just keep that to myself" after the post was made. I'd feel less forthcoming about sharing if I didn't have that option to delete something I no longer wanted the author to see.

This D8
eishiya

Postby Oly-RRR » July 5th, 2018, 11:57 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:I feel like this would dissuade me from leaving comments :/ I don't comment often, but there have been a few times where I left a comment, then felt silly about it and deleted it. Nothing abusive or negative, just "Eh... maybe I'll just keep that to myself" after the post was made. I'd feel less forthcoming about sharing if I didn't have that option to delete something I no longer wanted the author to see.

Also this. D:

Campion wrote:Actually, I was thinking more for comments that I get notified of, but never get to see before they're deleted, not just for abusive comments. Although, showing the abusive comments could let you keep track of who said what.

I think the site also notifies you if someone commented and then edited the original comment (which is something I do a lot because of typos, or if I post something and feel it's tl;dr) so you can be noticing that happening rather than extra comments being deleted. As for keeping track of who said what maybe it's just me but there are so many people in this world who aren't ashamed of their less than cordial views that I'm glad I don't get to know about the ones who at least get second thoughts about sharing those views. :?
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Return to Suggestions & Feedback