Swear Filter for Comments

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Re: Swear Filter for Comments

Postby kevansevans » May 25th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Instead of having a filter on everyone, do a "GAG" ban, where if said user abuses his language, it'll do the censorship thing.
kevansevans

Postby Ddraigeneth » May 25th, 2011, 12:58 pm

If you don't want the language showing, it shouldn't matter who's typing it; and just because someone curses once doesn't mean the rest of their comment should be prohibited. An all-over filter would be easier and much more logical to implement.

Sounds fine to me, especially if authors get to set the censors themselves. Could be fun.
Ddraigeneth

Postby Apostatus » May 25th, 2011, 1:04 pm

avian-reader wrote:If you could get to choose what you replace though, you could choose to only replace the F-bombs. You could also replace blaspheming if you don't like it. You could even decide to filter random everyday words to do innapropriate censoring :lol:

random excitable fangirl wrote:I **** this comic ^_^ *random character* is so **** and ****able xXx <3

You actually could introduce swearing with a filter allowing too much freedom. Replacing "the", "is", "and" with four letter words would create some mayhem...
Apostatus

Postby eishiya » May 25th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Apostatus wrote:
avian-reader wrote:If you could get to choose what you replace though, you could choose to only replace the F-bombs. You could also replace blaspheming if you don't like it. You could even decide to filter random everyday words to do innapropriate censoring :lol:

random excitable fangirl wrote:I **** this comic ^_^ *random character* is so **** and ****able xXx <3

You actually could introduce swearing with a filter allowing too much freedom. Replacing "the", "is", "and" with four letter words would create some mayhem...

And that is why my vote is for a simple "On/Off" switch, with SJ controlling the dictionary. It'll likely mess up on foreign languages (but foreign-language comics can just not enable it), but it'll save a lot of confusion and drama.
eishiya

Postby Ddraigeneth » May 25th, 2011, 1:21 pm

True enough. Personally, I'd vote for a piratey dictionary, but I understand if that's not everyone's cup of rum.

Spoiler! :
Scupper this barnacle for a trollop.
Ddraigeneth

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2011, 2:41 pm

if i could choose the words to replace the cursing with

this'd be awesome

Postby ElSmitty » July 13th, 2011, 9:21 am

I wouldn't use it if it was optional and I don't think it would a good idea if it was universal. If people wanted to swear they will find a way to get around your filter

I think this is a bad idea
ElSmitty

Postby Asj » September 12th, 2011, 10:54 am

ElSmitty wrote:If people wanted to swear they will find a way to get around your filter

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've seen enough special characters used to get around filters, and with people able to edit their posts, it'd be even more likely here. (and if you're able to modify the filter, it'll be back and forth a lot. When someone finds a way around a word, you'd filter that alternative out, and then they'd find another way, and etc. Soon, it'd be hard for anyone to leave a comment.)

But, I like the idea of replacing everyday words with cuss words. :D (I wouldn't do it, but I'd like to see a comic that does. Especially soon after it's implimented, when everyone would be commenting about how F ing confused they are.)
Asj

Postby skystears » November 7th, 2013, 1:53 am

When i saw this the first thing that came to mind...
Make a pirate speech filter option...It was somewhat random ...but then I had this thought. What if you could select words that would be replaced with the words of your choice , kind of like google translator....that way you could sensor it or replace it in a way so you would still get a sense of the word if your curse word shy. Alot of people curse out of habbit after all..Myself because I work in a kitchen...But it would be really helpful and fun to do a replacement thing...
for example

Original

F bomb - plural JERK!

I replace the plural version of the f bomb now with Blasting and just because I dont like the word Jerk , I now replace that with meanie
everytime i see WHAT I WANT .

now its BLasting Meanie!

Of course this would probably be WAY to complicated to do and would probably be more fitting for a browser app
...but it was just a idea on this I wanted to share.
skystears

Postby SuperDoom » March 8th, 2016, 10:43 pm

Replace f*** with frig, s*** with crap, a** with butt, and p*** with pee.
SuperDoom

Previous

Return to Suggestions & Feedback