Status and type tags.

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Re: Status and type tags.

Postby SuperBiasedMan » June 13th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Oblivion12 wrote:About the status, why not add in how frequently they are updated as well? [1 week] [1 month] [no set time] or something like that. =/

Well, there is an automatically calculated figure for how often a comic updates already but as far as I know this can't be used for searching yet so it would be helpful to either use tags or else the existing feature for searches.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby LazyChocobo » November 27th, 2009, 7:40 pm

I don't think it should be so complicated.

Just make it:

ESTIMATED LENGTH:

1. Short
2. Long
3. Epic
4. Undefined

Either way, the "ongoing","completed", "hiatus" options are already something good to start with.

Tezzle wrote:Yay for jailbait!

Absolutely sweet octopus art by the awesometastic Erika Moen! (Colored by yours truly.)
LazyChocobo

Postby zenat » December 21st, 2009, 5:28 am

I would simply love a "complete/ongoing/hiatus" option. Ongoing comics can be really interesting to follow, but some days you just want something that's been completed and it's impossible to know if the story you are looking at is complete or on hiatus at the moment (unless you want to check the final pages and spoil yourself).
The suggestion of "Short/Long/Epic/Undefined" sounds good too and together with an estimation of how long 'short, long and epic' are it seems simple enough that it shouldn't be too difficult for an artist to pick the right one. When in doubt one can, after all, choose 'undefined'.
zenat

Postby Gibson Twist » December 22nd, 2009, 3:23 am

I think to the Completed, Ongoing, Hiatus tags there should also be an option of No Longer Updating, for defunct comics that aren't completed. If possible, it might even be good to have this tag be automatic when a comic is idle for a specific period, six months or so.

The other idea is a bit dodgy to apply to comics where the author doesn't have an intended length to their comic. It might be simpler to define these only under the Completed umbrella, so that you would have as a status tag "Completed - Short story" or "Completed - Novel" or "Completed - Epic/Series" or what have you, with suggested page counts for each definition to give people a hint as to what lengths they should be.

I hope this idea is still in the works, it's a good one.
Gibson Twist

Postby Pyroman » December 22nd, 2009, 10:25 pm

Gibson Twist wrote:The other idea is a bit dodgy to apply to comics where the author doesn't have an intended length to their comic. It might be simpler to define these only under the Completed umbrella, so that you would have as a status tag "Completed - Short story" or "Completed - Novel" or "Completed - Epic/Series" or what have you, with suggested page counts for each definition to give people a hint as to what lengths they should be.

I agree that this actually sounds like a better way of organising those tags. For the most part they are irrelevant to a comic that is ongoing or on hiatus, except in specific cases; and even then, when you look at a comic you can generally see what type it will be anyway. For example, if I open a comic and the first page is called "Volume 1 Cover," followed by "Chapter 1 Cover" and then "C01 P01," I would expect that this is planned to be a long series.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Asj » July 17th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Pyroman wrote:Basically, I think it would be awesome to have a set of three tags that can be applied to comics by the author:
Complete, Incomplete and Hiatus.

I like this better than the completed comic button thread's suggestions. Less likely to abuse, and more options to check/uncheck for comic searches.
(by the way, sorry for the commenting spree, I got excited when I actually looked inside the suggestions board. ^_^" )
Asj

Postby Futon_Dancing » October 25th, 2011, 12:21 am

I agree with the first suggestion. I would love to see something that indicates status, especially "Hiatus" or "No longer updating" (which would technically not count as "Complete"). I find it frustrating sometimes when I don't know what happened to a comic that has not updated for awhile.
Sometimes I see authors putting the status on the latest page they submitted or in the news section as an announcement, but I can see that being easily overlooked.
Futon_Dancing

Postby Aida » June 28th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Suggestion: Could there be a genre filter for bl/yaoi/bromance etc. so I could have the chance to IGNORE them?
Aida

Previous

Return to Suggestions & Feedback