Status and type tags.

What would you like to see on Smack Jeeves? What are we doing well? Could we improve? Let us know!
Forum rules
Suggestions & Feedback Posting Guidelines
The purpose of this board is to allow community members to suggest new features or changes to be added to Smack Jeeves. Even if you aren't sure of a specific solution, but you recognize the need for an improvement, point it out!

Before Posting
Please browse/search the forum to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been made by someone else. If you find an idea similar to yours, post your contributing thoughts to that thread. Don't start a new thread unless your idea is significantly different from existing suggestions.

Rules

1) Use a descriptive title when making a suggestion or pointing out the need for improvement.

2) Describe the problem / solution in detail. First, explain why there is a problem or a need for a new feature to begin with. Then, describe your proposed solution (if you have one) clearly and effectively.

3) Respect others' ideas. If you disagree with someone else's ideas or suggestions, respectfully and factually state why. While debate over different solutions is fine, insults or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Sticky System
Suggestions that have been approved and chosen for implementation by the development team will be stickied. When development begins on an idea, that topic will be moved to the New Features & Changes in Progress board.

Status and type tags.

Postby Pyroman » June 8th, 2009, 5:17 am

Ok so I've grouped two suggestions into one here because they relate, but first up: Status Tags.
Basically, I think it would be awesome to have a set of three tags that can be applied to comics by the author:
Complete, Incomplete and Hiatus.
There are times when I have wanted to read a full comic, but it's really hard to find complete comics. Not to mention that every second comic is on hiatus. I just think it would be awesome to be able to have a filter that can screen out comics based on their status.

My other suggestion: Type tags.
Simply to have another selectable tag that tells the reader what type of comic it is. By this I mean:
Series, Short Story/One-off, and Singular Novel.
That way if I don't feel like reading an series, but am in the mood for a short story or novel I can filter out series' and in unison with the previous suggestion even find complete short stories. Sometimes I want to read a comic that could actually be finished in my lifetime, and for a lot of series' this is unlikely, haha!

Opinions?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Re: Status and type tags.

Postby Mr Aids » June 8th, 2009, 5:27 am

Love the first one, not sure about the second.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Admin » June 8th, 2009, 9:37 am

I like both ideas, I think the second needs to be fleshed out a little more.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pyroman » June 8th, 2009, 9:45 am

Agreed, I wasn't so sure about the second one. I'll drop back to the drawing board and have a rethink, but I still believe something along those lines would be a good addition.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby SuperBiasedMan » June 8th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Just a point, those kind of exclude any comic without an actual beginning middle and end, a 'gag-a-day/week/indeterminate amount of time' comic wouldn't really fit into those tags.
Unless series was kind of meant to include that, though I still think a separate 'non-sequencial' tag would be needed.
Good ideas though.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Pyroman » June 8th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Yeah I'm going to have to have rethink on the categories, but those were just suggestions.
In the end, the second point is about letting users search for comics they want to read via the type. I know a few of my friends have mentioned to me that they hate it when they just want to read a quality [whatever] comic, but can't find one that isn't [type], and I haven't been able to help them.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby paragoned » June 9th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Maybe name the categories based on planned/estimated length? I think that's what the second idea's about anyway, no?

Say... have the author give an estimation of how long they think their comic will be in terms of Pages and/or Chapters, Books, Volume, etc.. Obviously, you should be able to change that, for when you get a better idea as the comic progress.
And have an "Ongoing" or "Series" option for those who don't know, or for those newspaper types. And maybe as the default option.

That way, if you're looking for a completed or near-completed story, you can get SOME idea by comparing their estimated length with the uploaded pages. (Or even expand on the Status tags idea by using this to automate that or something.. ie, comic pages = planned length, then status is 'Complete')
Some comics take a hundred pages before they advance plot-wise. Which is okay, but if u want something quick... this would at least let you avoid those.

Just my two cents. I may have misunderstood exactly what Pyroman is suggesting.
Image Image
paragoned

Postby Pyroman » June 9th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Actually, you hit the nail pretty much squarely on the head.
The idea is simply to give users an overview of what type of comic this is, and where it's at in production. So when I click on someone's comic I can get a brief, but clear view of whether it's still updating (in unison with the updates per week statistic), and whether it's a long or short story.

As much as I like the idea of having a stat that approximates finishing time, I think the guesswork that would go into it is vast. Having to guess how many volumes, chapters or even pages that will go into an as yet incomplete (and most likely, not started) comic is pretty impossible, and I think it would lead to much more confusion, even with the ability to update this.

I'm thinking we go with broad categories that determine somewhat when the comic will finish. For example:
No End (So this would be for Newspaper style comics, or comics that don't necessarily have a plot, and thus no planned start or end. The Reader would assume that the comic could go on indefinitely.)
More than one Volume
One Volume
Short Story
But again, I'd need to flesh these out further as I feel I am missing a lot, so any suggestions would be awesome.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby SuperBiasedMan » June 10th, 2009, 10:17 am

A question/suggestion here, but what would the real difference between short story and one volume? (unless you mean one volume, so far)
And as for the suggestion, if you want more tags then you could add a tag for comics with no set end where they have a series of plotlines.
They call them 'arcs', where a series of comics will follow a plotline and when the plotline concludes another begins, but it's not really the same as a chapter.
I don't know if there'd be much of a need to set them apart, but it's a possibility.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby paragoned » June 10th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Pyroman wrote:As much as I like the idea of having a stat that approximates finishing time, I think the guesswork that would go into it is vast. Having to guess how many volumes, chapters or even pages that will go into an as yet incomplete (and most likely, not started) comic is pretty impossible, and I think it would lead to much more confusion, even with the ability to update this.

I thought that too. But I figure most authors, along with new ones, would pick the 'Ongoing/Series' option. Plus I'm presuming it would just be the default setting if this gets implemented, so only the people who had SOME idea would actually go and change it up.
You've got a point though. There's really no way to know when your comic will end unless you've got it all written down already, or you're just close to ending it.

In any case, I think this would at least encourage better story planning.
Image Image
paragoned

Postby Pyroman » June 10th, 2009, 10:20 pm

SuperBiasedMan wrote:A question/suggestion here, but what would the real difference between short story and one volume? (unless you mean one volume, so far)
And as for the suggestion, if you want more tags then you could add a tag for comics with no set end where they have a series of plotlines.
They call them 'arcs', where a series of comics will follow a plotline and when the plotline concludes another begins, but it's not really the same as a chapter.
I don't know if there'd be much of a need to set them apart, but it's a possibility.

For short stories I was thinking more like one or two chapters, rather than a whole volume, yeah? So one Volume would be just that, a single graphic novel with a beginning, middle and end all in one volume, whereas a Short story is just 30-60 pages.

I'm not sure about the arc one, though, because is it not pretty much the same as a chapter? Unless all the characters changed it could just be called the next part of the story. However, if you do mean where the whole story changes and all the characters are different then I guess that could work.

@Paragoned
Yeah, if it's an entirely optional thing then I think it could be cool. Although, I would prefer if it wasn't "HOW MANY PAGES, EXACTLY, WILL THIS BE? HRRRRMMM!?," and was more and approximation in large numbers. For example, I might say "Manga, Full Page, Black and White, Series, 200-300pages"

hrm.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby SuperBiasedMan » June 11th, 2009, 10:12 am

Pyroman wrote:For short stories I was thinking more like one or two chapters, rather than a whole volume, yeah? So one Volume would be just that, a single graphic novel with a beginning, middle and end all in one volume, whereas a Short story is just 30-60 pages.

I'm not sure about the arc one, though, because is it not pretty much the same as a chapter? Unless all the characters changed it could just be called the next part of the story. However, if you do mean where the whole story changes and all the characters are different then I guess that could work.

Ok, I see what you mean with those and yeah it does make sense.
That's the kind of thing you'd need to make clear somehow when people are using those tags.

The arc one, I'm not sure how well I explained it. As in, there's no overall plot really to the comic. It's kind of like a sitcom. Each arc/episode has a series of events that continue through the comics/show, but when it gets to the next arc/episode it's something completely different and overall there is no plot to it.
Hopefully that's clearer now. I really only suggested it because you thought the idea needed fleshing out.

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Pyroman » June 12th, 2009, 2:55 am

Oh yeah, I get what you mean about the Arcs now.
Hrm, I'm just trying to think of a better way of wording that, because if I was confused by it, you can bet a lot of other people would be too. In my mind, arcs essentially mean the same thing as chapters, just done on a type of story that doesn't usually have chapters --such as sprite comics.

I'm starting to worry that these type tags would be far more complicated than they are worth.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby SuperBiasedMan » June 12th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Pyroman wrote:Oh yeah, I get what you mean about the Arcs now.
Hrm, I'm just trying to think of a better way of wording that, because if I was confused by it, you can bet a lot of other people would be too. In my mind, arcs essentially mean the same thing as chapters, just done on a type of story that doesn't usually have chapters --such as sprite comics.

I'm starting to worry that these type tags would be far more complicated than they are worth.

Yeah I think understanding the tags and their differences would probably be a bit of a problem. You'd probably need to actually explain them to people concisely somewhere.

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Oblivion12 » June 13th, 2009, 12:25 pm

About the status, why not add in how frequently they are updated as well? [1 week] [1 month] [no set time] or something like that. =/
Click on the banner for my comic! =)
Oblivion12

Next

Return to Suggestions & Feedback