How to edit a template

Working on a new template and need help? Come here for support.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

How to edit a template

Postby LightEclipse » September 2nd, 2017, 10:32 pm

I appreciate the support I got on my previous question. But now I have another one:

So I know the CODING to edit the template. But the thing that I can't do for some reason is actually EDIT THE TEMPLATE ITSELF.
As in, when I try to add some coding, it does nothing. And when I try to change the style sheet coding, I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW TO DO IT and copy and paste the whole thing and then break my web comic.

So is there any way to edit the style sheet or not?
LightEclipse

Re: How to edit a template

Postby PhantomCat » September 3rd, 2017, 1:54 am

you can edit the stylesheet by copying the url in the
Code: Select all
<link rel="stylesheet"
line(overall layout page) into your browser and saving it to an editor, but in order to use the edited stylesheet, you'll need somewhere to upload it. once it's uploaded, you can then take the url from the NEW stylesheet and plug it in where the original stylesheet url is.
PhantomCat

Postby eishiya » September 3rd, 2017, 6:56 am

The intended way to add changes is to use overrides rather than create a whole new stylesheet. Using the original stylesheet as a guide (accessing it like PhantomCat described) or using your browser's inspection tools, find the changes you want to make, and place rules creating those changes into your Overall Layout in a <style></style> element in the head. So for example, if you wanted to change the default text colour and add a background around all links, you wouldn't copy and paste all the rules, you'd just have this override code:
<style>
body {
color: newcolor;
}

a {
background-color: somecolor;
padding: 4px;
}
</style>

What changes are you trying to make that broke everything?
eishiya

Postby LightEclipse » September 3rd, 2017, 10:37 pm

I was first trying to change the background of my In Silence template comic into a darker grey, possibly add my own background. And it broke.
Then I tried to change the lines of the Kingly Grunge site to white and it still broke.
I couldn't really find solutions to how to fix it on the forum...
Is it okay if I copy and paste the coding to you so that you can help me change it?
LightEclipse

Postby WildfireK » September 3rd, 2017, 10:42 pm

Oh hey Rin remember how SaS had white borders?
If I recall correctly, if you open the style sheet abd poke around there should be something that has like 6 letters in caps with quotation marks around it. There'll probably be more than one instance, but if you find out which one cobtrol the borders (you can probably tell becauze it'll probably say "border" or something like that I dunno it was a long time ago) and change it from "letters" to "FFFFFF" it should go to white since it didn't break for me :3
If anyone needs to talk, I'm always here <3
WildfireK

Postby eishiya » September 4th, 2017, 7:50 am

Copy+pasting the coding, and even better, including a link to the site where it's broken, would be very helpful! "Broken" isn't very helpful, I can't help without seeing in what way it's broken.
eishiya

Postby LightEclipse » September 4th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Hmmm...
I tried some style stuff and it didn't break.
But now I have a question for the fonts:
How do you change the color (for the h2 font) without having to copy and paste the same <font color="insert color here"> over and over again?
LightEclipse

Postby eishiya » September 5th, 2017, 5:44 am

You use CSS. You should not be using inline styles like that at all, those are a holdover from before CSS existed.

In your style tag in Overall Layout, add this CSS:
h2 {
color: whateveryouwant;
}
eishiya

Postby jwilson21985 » November 5th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Hello,

I need help on the Kingly Grunge template, Firstly how/where do I place a banner? How/where do I replace the background with an image? How/where do I change the color bars?
jwilson21985

BROKEN TEMPLATE

Postby Belus » December 25th, 2017, 5:07 am

Heya

DUST template is broken, seems the album containing some of the art has become private and now I have horrible photobucket ads at the bottom of every page.
http://wastelands.smackjeeves.com
I can't find the code to remove these, can anyone help??
Belus

Re: BROKEN TEMPLATE

Postby eishiya » December 25th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Belus wrote:Heya

DUST template is broken, seems the album containing some of the art has become private and now I have horrible photobucket ads at the bottom of every page.
http://wastelands.smackjeeves.com
I can't find the code to remove these, can anyone help??

In the future, please make a new thread when you have a new issue.

The Photobucket album with the rating stars isn't private, Photobucket just stopped allowing hotlinking a while back, breaking thousands of websites on the Internet in one swoop xP

It looks like the rating stars are what's broken. You can find the code for those in Comic Page, ctrl+F for "photobucket" and replace those URLs for your own images.

You could also remove the rating stars entirely, as hardly anyone rates long-form comics; that feature is useful more for strip comics. Here's a tutorial on adding rating stars, if you just look for similar bits of code (not necessarily identical) in your template and remove it, that should remove the rating stars. There are at least two sections of code that you'd need to remove.
eishiya

Postby Belus » December 25th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Thank you kindly. I actually didn't know how to make a new thread and couldn't find something similar.
Belus

Postby eishiya » December 25th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Belus wrote:Thank you kindly. I actually didn't know how to make a new thread and couldn't find something similar.

Click the "New Topic" button at the top or bottom of the forum you want to post in. It looks a bit weird, "NEWTOPIC*".
eishiya

Return to Template Development & Support