Question regarding News and Custom Page

Working on a new template and need help? Come here for support.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Question regarding News and Custom Page

Postby atomicbomb23 » January 3rd, 2019, 7:07 pm

I deleted my news portion on smackjeeves because I didn't like the default of it, I wanted to change the nav bar and front page and all that stuff for starters--

My question now is if I were to make a custom page called it "News" (and coded it in my template) and decorated it however I wanted etc, etc. Could I still use the "post news" tab thingy in the manage webcomic section and that post show up in the custom page automatically? Or would I still have to just manually type up news for that custom page?

Sorry if this sounds a bit weirdly worded but I want to try something different and I have no idea if I need to code something or not for my "news" custom page.

Thanks for reading!
atomicbomb23

Re: Question regarding News and Custom Page

Postby eishiya » January 3rd, 2019, 7:31 pm

You would have to type up the news yourself.

You can customise the existing news page quite extensively though, you can structure it in almost any way you wish. You can do anything on the News/Welcome page and on the News Archive page that you can do on a custom page, while still having the benefit of being able to use the automatic news feature.
eishiya

Postby atomicbomb23 » January 5th, 2019, 1:48 am

Thank you for the reply!

I could try and code it but when I go onto the template/coding for it it says to revert back to default and I'm a little scared to do revert it completely cause I'm worried it might mess with what I have coded already...Could you tell me how I could set the news as my homepage again then? I'm using/modifying a classic template btw!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me! :D
atomicbomb23

Postby eishiya » January 5th, 2019, 8:57 am

atomicbomb23 wrote:Could you tell me how I could set the news as my homepage again then? I'm using/modifying a classic template btw!

What did you do to change it? If you used the Comic Profile drop-down menu to select a different page as the homepage, then you can use that again to set it to the News Page.

Instead of resetting to default, I recommend:
1. Saving your template,
2. Temporarily loading up the original template,
3. Copying the News section code from it,
4. Loading up your saved template,
5. Pasting the News section code into it.
You could also save all the relevant code to a file on your computer, so you can copy+paste bits from it as needed instead of the whole thing.
eishiya

Postby atomicbomb23 » January 5th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Im pretty sure I deleted it from the code but I will definitely try what you recommend! Thank you so much! :D
atomicbomb23

Return to Template Development & Support