Questions about the "Piano Black" template

Working on a new template and need help? Come here for support.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Questions about the "Piano Black" template

Postby TheThoughtfulBoxful » February 27th, 2019, 9:20 am

Hello!

I'm redesigning my comic site and recently changed the template from Classic to Piano Black. I really like how clean the design is; the only problem is that it's been somewhat difficult to code. I thought I could reuse codes from the classic template to change the font, colors, and replace the header image, but nothing has worked. I'm currently using an unmodded version of the template:

http://greenleaf.smackjeeves.com/

It looks like everything is sort of meshed together in the html code, too: The navbar, title/banner, and body text all seem to be affected by one code, and whenever I try to replace the font family, nothing happens or the font changes to Times New Roman. If someone could help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it!

And just to summarize what I'm having trouble finding the codes for:
-Changing the individual fonts (body, heading, title, nav, comic nav) and their colors individually
-Switching the title with a banner image/logo
-Possibly adding background color to the comments section so it's not all one flat color.
-Where to add {SITE_DESCRIPTION} (I want it to be above the news feed). (Figured it out!)

Also, how do I replace the user comments section with Disquis?
User avatar
TheThoughtfulBoxful
 
Posts: 9
Joined: September 16th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Re: Questions about the "Piano Black" template

Postby eishiya » February 27th, 2019, 11:36 am

If you use your browser's Inspect tool (right-click on an element you want to change, select Inspect), you should have no trouble finding the CSS selectors you need to use to change the appearance of all the different things. The rules should be the same as ones for other templates, only the selectors change.
Image
User avatar
eishiya
 
Posts: 9685
Joined: December 5th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Questions about the "Piano Black" template

Postby Eightfish » February 28th, 2019, 4:44 pm

It looks like you're using another comic's banner art? Ingress Adventuring Co.? What's up with that? Also, I don't know it it's intentional or not, but I think your comic might be unlisted on SmackJeeves.
Image
User avatar
Eightfish
 
Posts: 27
Joined: November 12th, 2018, 5:09 am

Re: Questions about the "Piano Black" template

Postby TheThoughtfulBoxful » March 3rd, 2019, 10:29 am

eishiya wrote:If you use your browser's Inspect tool (right-click on an element you want to change, select Inspect), you should have no trouble finding the CSS selectors you need to use to change the appearance of all the different things. The rules should be the same as ones for other templates, only the selectors change.


Sorry for the late reply. I ended up switching back to the original theme I was using, but thanks for clarifying!

Eightfish wrote:It looks like you're using another comic's banner art? Ingress Adventuring Co.? What's up with that? Also, I don't know it it's intentional or not, but I think your comic might be unlisted on SmackJeeves.


Oh yeah... I was attempting to use their code on my site but hadn't switched out their banner image. And yeah I had marked it as hidden while I was editing and just never unchecked it. Both issues are fixed now
User avatar
TheThoughtfulBoxful
 
Posts: 9
Joined: September 16th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Re: Questions about the "Piano Black" template

Postby Eightfish » March 6th, 2019, 2:09 am

TheThoughtfulBoxful wrote:Oh yeah... I was attempting to use their code on my site but hadn't switched out their banner image. And yeah I had marked it as hidden while I was editing and just never unchecked it. Both issues are fixed now


What I did to play with the code on my site was make a new unlisted comic to experiment on to avoid confusing readers (and embarrassing myself by showing off my horrid coding process/skills lol). Maybe that'd work for you?
Image
User avatar
Eightfish
 
Posts: 27
Joined: November 12th, 2018, 5:09 am

Re: Questions about the "Piano Black" template

Postby ebonykun » March 6th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Eightfish wrote:What I did to play with the code on my site was make a new unlisted comic to experiment on to avoid confusing readers (and embarrassing myself by showing off my horrid coding process/skills lol). Maybe that'd work for you?


I do this too! I copy off googled HTML codes and see if they work the way I want to. So far, the method works for me.
Image
User avatar
ebonykun
 
Posts: 5
Joined: March 1st, 2019, 10:27 pm

Re: Questions about the "Piano Black" template

Postby pixlyJolt » March 7th, 2019, 2:19 am

I don’t think I’m that advanced into web design yet :lol:
User avatar
pixlyJolt
 
Posts: 34
Joined: June 4th, 2018, 5:54 pm
Location: Narnia. JK. I’m in the Treehouse in ES.

Re: Questions about the "Piano Black" template

Postby TheThoughtfulBoxful » March 9th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Eightfish wrote:
What I did to play with the code on my site was make a new unlisted comic to experiment on to avoid confusing readers (and embarrassing myself by showing off my horrid coding process/skills lol). Maybe that'd work for you?


This is a great idea, thank you! (My coding skills aren't the greatest either, but you probably figured that out lol)
User avatar
TheThoughtfulBoxful
 
Posts: 9
Joined: September 16th, 2018, 1:01 pm


Return to Template Development & Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests