Total beginner needs help coding

Working on a new template and need help? Come here for support.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

Total beginner needs help coding

Postby AJ-illustrated » September 20th, 2019, 3:08 pm

I'm in the midst of trying to code the site for my upcoming webcomic.... and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have the basic idea of what I want my page to look like- something similar to SpectraSpell's page. (http://spectraspell.smackjeeves.com/) I really like the home/archive/about buttons, I like how the background fades into the banner/title, how the next/previous page buttons are so stylized... I like everything about it, basically. I'm not trying to rip it off or blatantly plagiarize it or anything, but is there someone who could show me how to achieve a similar look in terms of structure and format?
AJ-illustrated

Re: Total beginner needs help coding

Postby eishiya » September 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm

To explain everything from scratch to you would be basically coding the entire template for you xP It would be a lot easier for people to help you with more specific problems once you've already got something made.

Have no fear though, as you can do a lot more on your own than you might think. If you haven't already, use your browser's web developer tools to look at the structure and image set-up of the Spectraspell site, and you'll get a better idea of how it works :D In Firefox, right-click on something on the page and select "Inspect Element" and you can explore from there. In Chrome, it's similar, but with "Inspect".

If you poke around like that, you'll see that page's banner is just a transparent image. The skyline is a background image below that, and the stripes are another background image below that. The menu buttons just have a white background, a large padding, and rounded corners (created with border-radius). You'll also see the general structure of the page.
eishiya

Return to Template Development & Support