test comics

Working on a new template and need help? Come here for support.

Moderator: Help Desk Team

test comics

Postby Asj » January 4th, 2010, 3:59 pm

I know some people have made comics just to test layout stuff, but it seems wrong to use up space on this site making a comic that isn't a comic...
I usually just mess with the comics I'm already using, but sometimes there's things I just can't do (and there's some things I can't even do if I made a test comic).

Does anyone have a test comic that I can experiment with? I want to test out different types of rating stars, and I can't tell what happens after someone votes on a page when I'm the author.
Asj

Re: test comics

Postby Mr Aids » January 4th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Nah, go ahead and make a webcomic to do your testing. It doesn't take up that much space.
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Asj » January 4th, 2010, 10:23 pm

although, I still can't test the non-author features that way, can I? Unless I can vote as a guest... can guests vote?
Asj

Postby Mr Aids » January 4th, 2010, 11:38 pm

Nah, guests can't vote, only comment.

But you could make a new account, do the testing you want, and then delete the account.
kevansevans wrote:

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Asj » January 4th, 2010, 11:47 pm

I could just ask someone else to vote. I don't like having two accounts at once...
By the way, if I delete an account or comic, can the name be reused?
And do you like this? I'm getting worried it's not very Smackjeeves user friendly. v_v viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2744
Asj

Postby Mr Aids » January 5th, 2010, 4:34 am

You won't have 2 accounts for long. Once you're done with the testing, just delete the account. I've done so before, I had an account called Mr Aids Test or something, I had it up for 10 minutes to check something and then deleted it. Having multiple accounts to test code should not be a problem.

If you delete an account or comic, it can be reused, as long as someone else hasn't snatched up the name. If they have, you can PM Admin about it and he'll see what he can do.

And you have a good tutorial there, but you may want to summarize it a bit. Most users aren't going to even bother reading all that text. If you can restrict yourself to one or two sentences when explaining a variable or the like, then the information might be easier to take in. Or alternatively, you can transform the tutorial into an visual format, with screenshots of the code you are referring to. Most users are more comfortable with information presented like this. If you look at the [url="http://wiki.smackjeeves.com/index.php/Main_Page"]SJ Wiki[/url] you will see many screenshots are used.

But I like what I'm seeing, it's great when users contribute to the site!
kevansevans wrote:

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Asj » January 5th, 2010, 9:11 am

Can you point out anything in particular that should be cut down? Whenever I look for anything, I go, "well, I think this part's okay, and this part, and this part" and then get to the end without changing anything. I think the function explanations are pretty long, but the functions are the biggest and most important things, as well...
I don't understand having screenshots when I'm talking about text. O_o
Asj

Postby Mr Aids » January 7th, 2010, 7:07 am

I'm not going to tell you exactly what to cut out, but here are the explanations that I personally think are too long.

build_vote function part 1

build_vote function part 2

the rateover function

Those really need to be cut down. But when you read over it, think to yourself, does the user really need to know this?
kevansevans wrote:

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Asj » January 7th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Hmm... Well, those two things are the most important things. It's only those and the variable declarations that you need to change... I guess I can go over it again and see what I can find, but it'd be really helpful if people know what everything means... Perhaps there's a better way to define stuff that I didn't think of before.
Asj

Postby Mr Aids » January 7th, 2010, 9:31 pm

I'm not saying cut out what needs to be there, but if there is too much information, the user will take nothing in and still be lost.
kevansevans wrote:

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Return to Template Development & Support