Hello template help!

Request custom templates here. There is no guarantee that it will be made for you. Please be respectful, polite, and patient when posting a request.

Hello template help!

Postby gaiadarkstar » January 22nd, 2014, 11:03 am

I can't pay or anything but I am completely clueless about html or any other comp language that you use to make a website. I have tried modifying a template before and it worked ok but I had to have help for each and every step. None of the templates on the site right now have what I want. Though the top banner v2 has a banner close to the size I want it doesn't have a link to smackjeeves the other template I am using has that and a decent size banner but I really want the whole site to look nicer. I want a large size banner slightly bigger than the one on the top banner. I want a link to smackjeeves somewhere on the page and I would also like an extra tab for fan art and my own comic art separate from the comic like character profiles and such. I want to do as much of the art for it as I can but I have no idea about the sizing for things or how to put them in the template. So if you can help me out I would appreciate it. Even if you just know where I can find a template closer to what I want. But I would still need to know what size to make things like the banner and background picture and the image link for smackjeeves.
gaiadarkstar

Re: Hello template help!

Postby maplebee » January 22nd, 2014, 2:46 pm

http://www.w3schools.com/ is a very helpful resource for understanding code. SJ templates generally use a mixture of HTML and CSS. When you're looking at the site code and don't understand a relevant piece of code, W3Schools is a great place to look it up. They also have some beginner tutorials on both of the coding languages - going through those can help you get a bit of a foundation for what you're looking at.
maplebee

Postby gaiadarkstar » January 22nd, 2014, 3:47 pm

I will look at it but I doubt it will help me. I have trouble with normal textbooks. I read the same paragraph many times and still can't understand it so I doubt something like code will make sense to me. If I can't find someone to code it for me or a premade one that someone can help me tweak then I don't know what else to do. I hate sounding whiny but I just can't help thinking looking at something that probably has a lot of technical jargon and such that I don't know anything about.
I recently read a webcomic that had a look very similar to what I am aiming for. here is a link to the first webcomic page- http://dogtag.smackjeeves.com/comics/1735411/cover/
I would just want a few adjustments to it. Like a different background pic and border and maybe different arrows. Anyway it is the closest comic I have seen to what I am aiming for.
gaiadarkstar

Postby Meleeman » January 27th, 2014, 10:52 am

I could help you with your site. I've built my own website before. http://singularityproductions.atwebpages.com/ it's not complete yet, but the designs and layouts i've done from scratch. I could help you modify an existing template, unless you paid for premium hosting then I could have more control of the design, by handing you the CSS style sheets or html code.
Meleeman

Postby gaiadarkstar » January 28th, 2014, 8:50 pm

I would certainly appreciate it though the author is trying at the moment to see if they can do it. I made a banner 700 wide by 300 high to be visible on the comic pages. I am using the simple and plain template(I think that's the name) for the base. I just want to make sure I have a cool background, a place for the synopsis, a link back to sj( I wanted to make it a cool image link but not sure what kind of image as yet), and lastly wanted to change the navigation buttons maybe to look like bamboo. As you can see they aren't major things so if you think you can help I am not sure what to do next.
gaiadarkstar

Postby Meleeman » January 29th, 2014, 8:30 pm

gaiadarkstar wrote:I would certainly appreciate it though the author is trying at the moment to see if they can do it. I made a banner 700 wide by 300 high to be visible on the comic pages. I am using the simple and plain template(I think that's the name) for the base. I just want to make sure I have a cool background, a place for the synopsis, a link back to sj( I wanted to make it a cool image link but not sure what kind of image as yet), and lastly wanted to change the navigation buttons maybe to look like bamboo. As you can see they aren't major things so if you think you can help I am not sure what to do next.

most of the stuff you're talking about is just Artwork. I use photobucket to make the picture show on the webpage then relink the button to something else. I've never tried it with a background pic though.
Meleeman

Postby mitchellbravo » January 30th, 2014, 3:20 pm

gaiadarkstar wrote:I would certainly appreciate it though the author is trying at the moment to see if they can do it. I made a banner 700 wide by 300 high to be visible on the comic pages. I am using the simple and plain template(I think that's the name) for the base. I just want to make sure I have a cool background, a place for the synopsis, a link back to sj( I wanted to make it a cool image link but not sure what kind of image as yet), and lastly wanted to change the navigation buttons maybe to look like bamboo. As you can see they aren't major things so if you think you can help I am not sure what to do next.

Be wary with a banner that size to be displayed on the comic pages. If your comic is in strip form, it may be okay, but if it's in page form, people are going to have to scroll to see the full page and move past that banner, and if you have more than maybe two dozen pages in your archive that can get really frustrating to a reader. See if you can perhaps place that one on the main site/landing page and use a smaller version to display on the comic archive pages.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby gaiadarkstar » February 4th, 2014, 9:39 am

The author has managed to do a lot and I only have one page posted so I don't know how hard it is for people to scroll down or whatever but the page is mostly how I wanted it now so thanks for all the suggestions. I would love you to check out the page and tell me what you think. http://unwrittenpage.smackjeeves.com/
gaiadarkstar

Return to Template Requests