I Need a New Layout (Might Pay?)

Request custom templates here. There is no guarantee that it will be made for you. Please be respectful, polite, and patient when posting a request.

I Need a New Layout (Might Pay?)

Postby Gnathix » November 10th, 2017, 2:15 am

Hey all, I have a webcomic, Ollie Oxenfree, which you can find here: http://ollieoxenfree.smackjeeves.com/

Now, I tried my damndest to work out all the html stuff by myself, but it's really just not my strong point. I was attempting to personalize the Streamlined template (and take out the animations too) but I just kept screwing something up, and it really didn't look very good in the end.

If someone could help me out and work with me to create a pretty basic template that doesn't scream "Default," and centers the comic pages so that you don't have to scroll down to click "next" or "previous," I'd be overjoyed. I would also like to add in a page with bonus images, separate from the comic -- with timestamps, and which can be rated or commented on. I'm willing to pay, but I don't know how much these things cost. Unless someone wants to babystep me through the process of cannibalizing an existing theme to fit my needs.

Further explanation can be supplied if I worded things in a confusing way at all.

Thanks!
Gnathix
Gnathix

Re: I Need a New Layout (Might Pay?)

Postby eishiya » November 10th, 2017, 8:52 am

What do you mean by
centers the comic pages so that you don't have to scroll down to click "next" or "previous"

If the buttons are put below the pages, readers will need to scroll down to them. If the buttons are put above the page, readers will need to scroll up to them because your pages are large enough to require some scrolling for most people. If you put the buttons to the sides, they'll end up above and below on smaller screens (or off-screen, which is even worse).
If you want easy navigation, you should make the page itself clickable instead of doing weird things with the position of the page relative to the buttons. Clicking a big ol' page to go to the next one is a lot easier than aiming for buttons, too. Better yet, this is a feature SJ has built in for every default template, I think, you just need to set "Auto-Link Comic Image" to "On" in the comic profile.

The only way to add non-comic pages with automatic timestamps and SJ comments is to use the News feature. There is no way to have ratings on anything other than comic pages. If that's important to you, perhaps making a separate comic profile for extras is the better option. You could link between the two sites in their menus.
eishiya

Postby Gnathix » November 10th, 2017, 1:37 pm

eishiya wrote:If the buttons are put below the pages, readers will need to scroll down to them. If the buttons are put above the page, readers will need to scroll up to them because your pages are large enough to require some scrolling for most people. If you put the buttons to the sides, they'll end up above and below on smaller screens (or off-screen, which is even worse).
If you want easy navigation, you should make the page itself clickable instead of doing weird things with the position of the page relative to the buttons. Clicking a big ol' page to go to the next one is a lot easier than aiming for buttons, too. Better yet, this is a feature SJ has built in for every default template, I think, you just need to set "Auto-Link Comic Image" to "On" in the comic profile.

The only way to add non-comic pages with automatic timestamps and SJ comments is to use the News feature. There is no way to have ratings on anything other than comic pages. If that's important to you, perhaps making a separate comic profile for extras is the better option. You could link between the two sites in their menus.

I suppose that makes sense..I' was thinking more of having the entirety of the comic panel and the buttons within the confines of the page as you would see it when you first land on it, without having to scroll and readjust every time you click 'next'. i didnt use the auto link comic image thing because i'm one of those people that always accidentally skips forward on other people's comics when they have that

i guess i can skip having the rating/comments/timestamps on the other page if it's that much of a hassle, but i don't even really understand how to use the 'additional pages' feature. like, hypothetically i'm sure i'd be able to find the html language i need to use to add a couple of images, or something. but building another page that doesn't look like Baby's First Website is daunting.

thank you for your help anyway

this is why im considering paying someone to build something for me, if there are any takers that could let me know what their price ranges are
Gnathix

Postby eishiya » November 10th, 2017, 4:04 pm

The custom pages can work within your existing template, so all you'd have to do is have the code to insert the images and it'll look as nice as the rest of your template.

If you want to have someone build a template for you, you should provide some mockups of what you want it to look like, unless you also want to pay someone to design it. Without knowing what you want, no one can help you, for free or for money.
eishiya

Postby EluNiabi » February 25th, 2018, 12:29 am

If you are still looking for a new custom template, please take a look at this topic here. I am taking template commissions, just let me know if you'd like one.
EluNiabi

Postby AltCat » February 25th, 2018, 3:27 am

Gnathix wrote:I suppose that makes sense..I' was thinking more of having the entirety of the comic panel and the buttons within the confines of the page as you would see it when you first land on it, without having to scroll and readjust every time you click 'next'. i didnt use the auto link comic image thing because i'm one of those people that always accidentally skips forward on other people's comics when they have that

The easiest way to get around a bit of the scroll problem would be to simply put the navigation thing both above and below the comic page.

If one wanted to have side arrows too without them being offset by available space then I guess placing both them and the comic in a fixed size confine (table or something) would be the thing. But that is not an advisable route to do with site design nowdays I think. Maybe one of those floating box things that would stay at half page height no matter what scrollings could be another way. Guess that one would need extra files space available though.
AltCat

Return to Template Requests