Looking for help with a custom template(paid)

Request custom templates here. There is no guarantee that it will be made for you. Please be respectful, polite, and patient when posting a request.

Looking for help with a custom template(paid)

Postby Gooseworx » January 25th, 2019, 9:20 pm

I'm pretty new to smackjeeves, I've bounced around several different hosting sites to find one that'd best suit my comic, and this one seems pretty reliable.

I'm just looking for someone who can make an easy to navigate template for me that would allow for the comic to be displayed at a 1280 width with navigation buttons above and below each page.
I sketched up a mockup of something that'd be ideal http://prntscr.com/mcblqx

I'm not sure how realistic something like this is for smackjeeves, but I can pay(paypal) for anyone who'd be able to do something generally along these lines.

I have mockups for each additional webpage as well, and would be able to provide all drawn button/banner assets necessary.
http://prntscr.com/mcbmz8
http://prntscr.com/mcbmur
http://prntscr.com/mcbn70

Also, here's my backlog, just as proof that I DO have a comic to post. http://prntscr.com/mcbp1o
Gooseworx

Re: Looking for help with a custom template(paid)

Postby eishiya » January 25th, 2019, 9:36 pm

How do you want the archive to work? It's unclear from the thumbnail how readers will get to the actual pages of the comic.
Do you have a mockup of how you want the comments to look? On SJ, that's often the most complex thing to structure and style just because there are so many ways to go about it.

Everything in your mockups looks perfectly doable on SJ. Unless you've got a Premium account for your comic, you'd need to host the images externally, using an image host such as Imgur.

You mentioned that this is paid, but you haven't said how much you're paying. This is likely at least three hours of work.
eishiya

Postby Gooseworx » January 25th, 2019, 10:14 pm

I guess this is where I could maybe get some pointers from someone who knows web design better than I do.

I don't really have anything specific in mind for comments, I suppose as long as it's pretty simple and non-intrusive, I won't have a problem with it.
As for the archive, would it be wise/practical where upon clicking the chapter thumbnail, it would open a new page with a grid of small thumbnails for each comic page? Or would it just generally be better to have them all in links beside the chapter thumb?

And as for payment, I'm fine with adjusting to anyone's' rates who could pull it off. Like showing examples of their work and naming their price.
Gooseworx

Postby eishiya » January 26th, 2019, 10:17 am

What you want for the archive is possible with some JavaScript, and not too hard to do. It's extra work for the reader to get an idea of how many pages are in each chapter though, so it's slightly more annoying (but looks tidier). Either is fine, so it's up to you which trade-off you prefer xP

I wouldn't mind doing this for you! I don't have a web design portfolio (plus, you're providing the design anyway), but if you look around the Template Development & Support forum, you'll see many posts where I help people get what they want out of the SJ template system, or find derps in their HTML/CSS. I've done a few templates from scratch as well, but aside from the ones on my comics, I sadly can't remember which they were.
My hourly rate for webdev work is $30, which is probably more expensive than what some others might offer, but I like to think I know this stuff pretty well :] As I mentioned before, this looks like about 3 hours of work, so consider $90 my quote.

If you've got a tight budget and have any experience with building sites, I recommend giving it a shot yourself, all you need is fairly simple HTML/CSS (the most complex part will actually be the logo wrapping down so it's next to the content; it's easy but requires some cleverness), and you could use the default template you're already using as a base for the SJ-specific code. 90% of the work could be tweaking the default styling to add your colours and images and modify a few element sizes. You can ask for help in the Template Development & Support forum, where you'd get (free!) advice and pointers from me and other users when you run into specific problems.
eishiya

Postby Gooseworx » January 26th, 2019, 3:10 pm

That 100% works for me. c:

Would you recommend I upgrade to premium before this? Because I was probably planning on doing that anyway.
Gooseworx

Postby eishiya » January 26th, 2019, 3:15 pm

What works for you?

And nah, you can wait to get a Premium subscription until you're ready to go, so you only pay for the time your comic actually needs it. For development purposes, it's perfectly fine to hotlink the images from Imgur or something, and then once you're all ready to go, you can get your Premium subscription, upload your images directly to SJ, and change the URLs in the template code (they'll probably all be in the Overall Layout portion of the template, so you won't even need to hunt too hard for them).
That said, if you want to get a Premium subscription to set up a custom domain, I recommend getting that at least a few days before you launch your comic, as it can take a while for custom domains to work properly because of the time it takes the DNS records to propagate worldwide. Plus, setting up a domain requires a bunch of steps, it's good to give yourself time for them and not do it last minute.
eishiya

Postby Gooseworx » January 26th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Oh, the pricing works for me. I don't really have a limited budget, so I can totally pay whatever you need.
Would you want to move this conversation to somewhere more direct, like email or discord?
Gooseworx

Postby eishiya » January 26th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Yes please! I PMed you my Discord info.
eishiya

Return to Template Requests