Simple template for HTML retarded

Request custom templates here. There is no guarantee that it will be made for you. Please be respectful, polite, and patient when posting a request.

Simple template for HTML retarded

Postby Imi » May 20th, 2009, 3:22 pm

I am not exaggerating when I say I am HTML retarded. I struggle copying and pasting things into the right place, let alone figuring out how to adjust templates.

My comic is a year old next month, which should coincide nicely with the introduction of a new main character, so I fancied getting a new template for the site to celebrate.

I have no need for any fancy patterns or buttons. The comic style is action with more than a few angels and demons, so I suppose something gothic could easily suit for any text. I'd be happy with just black with white text, though, because I'm sure that'll be much easier for anyone willing to help me out. Then again, if you can just tell me where to put a URL, I suppose I can make my own buttons.

The only specifics I have is that I'd like to be able to have a large banner. Somewhere in the region of 750 x 300 pixels. The reason I ask for this to be put in the code is because I don't really understand how to adjust things Dx

For the buttons, I'd like having all the usual smack jeeves standards, as well as a section for a Gallery, Cast and About section. Possibly also a Links section.

If there a way I can reasonably fix any of the current available layouts without needing a whole new template, then that's fine. I can make the buttons myself on photoshop if there's a part in the code where I can add the new images in (like I mentioned above, orz).

So, I realise most people are really, really busy with exams and everything at the moment, so even if I can just get some way to adjust a current layout to what I want, that would be great. Thanks so much in advance~.

By the way, here is the layout i have at the moment, if that's at all relevant. Dx
Imi

Re: Simple template for HTML retarded

Postby Pyroman » May 21st, 2009, 1:01 am

As usual I am more than happy to make this. Do not feel as if you need to dumb this down or anything, just give me everything you want down to specifics and I'll do it for you. Then when I am done I will make a little guide for you so you know where and how to change things.
So yeah, I'm looking for colour palettes, images you want used (including any gothic patterns, comic images and so on), specific font colours/headers and anything else you can think of. Honestly, go nuts. Make a plan of the website or write down exactly what you want it to look like and to the best of my ability I will make it look like that, just don't worry about it being 'too hard'.

Hope I can help.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Imi » May 21st, 2009, 10:01 am

Thank you so much, you wonderful man.

I'm not very good at envisioning websites, probably because I don't know what goes into to design of it, but I threw up a hilariously bad plan of some sort of placement ideas and font ideas I have, as well as a palette for you to work with.

Here is the plan, which as you can see is...basic, at best. I just want the site to look dark and gothic and grungy, so I'll be using more muted colours, with the blues I laid down being the main ones for the header image. Unfortunately, I don't have it at the moment, because it takes me forever to do one, but if you let me know what dimensions you'll leave for me I can just slot it in like I did for my current layout.

I gave two selections of font, because I can't pick between them. I like both equally, though, so you can use whichever you want for the buttons. The fonts are available for download here and here. Also put in black or white, because it depends on which colour you go for the button strip as to what colour the font will be. Obviously.

The bar at the bottom is optional. I wasn't sure if it's a nice way to finish off a site design, and make it seem more...unified? If you don't think it needs it, though, I don't mind if you put it in or not. You're the expert Dx

I was hoping you could possibly make the section for comic content...expandable? That's why I made the header and button bar float, because I sometimes have pages that are longer, when I do a double spread or something, so I need it to stretch enough to look right. At the moment, my side button bar just overlaps the image and it looks messy.

I...really don't think I have any more detailed specifications. I'm not a very picky person, to be honest, haha. I've seen some of your other layouts and they look great, so I obviously have total faith anything you do will be fabulous. So just...go with what you want, really. I just want a big banner space and some fancier buttons than I had before. I'm easy to please.

Oh, I found this pattern, which I thought looked quite neat. Maybe if you could size it down a little and overlay it for a background (so it's darker), that could be nice? Again, up to you, though.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, I just...don't really have a lot in mind for what I actually want (because I fail). If you really do need any more, though, I'll be as imaginative as I can possibly be..

Thanks so much again for doing this, I really, really appreciate it. <3
Imi

Postby Pyroman » May 22nd, 2009, 4:32 am

Alright working on it now. You can check progress here, but I should have it done very soon. I'm trying to keep the code very simplified, and I will add in comments so you can see what the important parts are, and how to edit them.
Let me know if something isn't right, I'm not the best at the design part : D
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Imi » May 22nd, 2009, 8:51 am

It's looking great so far! Thank you so much~

I was wondering, for the comic page, when it comes to having the next, previous etc. buttons, could you add custom images in? If so, I have made some! Which are v. simple but hopefully will look okay in the overall layout. (If they look too big and bulky or something, feel free to tell me so, I don't mind~)

First
Previous
Next
Latest

Also, would you be able to change the 'links' button to say 'extra' instead? I'm just thinking, I can throw anything in there then, if I think of new stuff to add instead of needing to cram more words in the button bar.

Thank you again (and again and again)!
Imi

Postby Pyroman » May 27th, 2009, 3:32 am

Well would you look at that. A template is over thar.

Feel free to click around. Every page (including the Archive and News Archive) is customized and ready to go. If you like it, let me know what things you would be likely to want to change and I'll write up a little guide for you. Oh and also put a bunch of comments in the HTML so if you lose the guide it should be fairly easy to know what to do!

Some key things to note:
1. Click the latest comic for an idea of how the template will stretch to accommodate a large comic; and click first to see a small comic.
2. I've kept the font the same as your current template for two reasons. One, it's a great font; and two, it makes the transition between templates less jarring when it's similar.
3. Your navigation buttons are there : D
4. You most likely saw it when you last went, but the background pattern is there as well.

If there is something you don't like, don't hesitate to let me know. It's all changeable!

[EDIT]Just one note:
In IE, the content with not expand. This is because the attribute I have used (called, display:table) is not supported by IE. For some unknown reason. This means, in IE it will not expand to fit a large comic, but it will in every other browser. There is no way to fix this without either selecting a definitive width (thus defeating the purpose), or setting up a table (which sucks). Hopefully you use a browser other than IE, haha.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Imi » May 27th, 2009, 8:34 am

That looks stunning! I love the feathers, and the little crosses for the ratings. All those little details are just great. Thank you so much for doing this for meeee <3 I can't think of anything I'll be wanting to change in the future, just adding to what I have in the old layout, so hopefully that'll be okay.

I won't be updating until next month, so will I be able to save the code to my computer?
Imi

Postby Pyroman » May 28th, 2009, 1:37 am

Alright I've uploaded it as a .rar over here, so you can save it on your computer now and leave it.
Alternatively you can copy all the code in and save it on SJ, but it's up to you.

Contained within that .rar file are named text files with all the code, ready to be copied across, and instructions on what you need to change, but it's all very simple and should prove no trouble.

I'm glad you like it!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Return to Template Requests