Made a scifi animated short

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Made a scifi animated short

Postby wrathborne » May 3rd, 2017, 5:33 pm

Spent about 2 years making this toon. It was animated in flash, drawn by mouse and is an actiony music video. Hope you enjoy it.
wrathborne

Re: Made a scifi animated short

Postby eishiya » May 3rd, 2017, 6:08 pm

Animation is scarily time-consuming D:

That looked great! YouTube seems to have chewed up the audio a bit though, it feels a bit choppy in places near the beginning and the end, and not fully aligned with the video near the beginning.

My one crit for the animation itself is that some of the impacts don't have enough sense of force/impact to them, such as where the main character hits the wall around 2:25 and the floor around 2:41. This is something I struggle with as well, so I'm not sure if my feedback'll be any good.
With the floor impact, I think the main problem was that the character never bounces back up at all. If they're meant to get stuck on the floor, then having some dust or debris get blown away could also work.
Two tricks that can also help are small reverse camera movement or a 1~3 frame "freeze" can really help. The latter is a trick used a lot in video games, pausing the action for too short a time for the viewer to really notice it, but long enough for the brain to subconsciously register "whoa that did something".
eishiya

Postby wrathborne » May 3rd, 2017, 6:13 pm

Hmm.. will work on the impact in the future, thanks for the critique and I'm happy you enjoyed it.
wrathborne

Postby zrusere » May 17th, 2017, 4:59 am

wow that's amazing how long did it take you.
zrusere

Return to Creative Showcase