My personal art quest kinda NSFW

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

My personal art quest kinda NSFW

Postby BobRichardsFanatic » June 28th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Here are some of my artworks:

This second one I was going for realism:

These were both made on my Nintendo 3DS XL in Colors 3D.
BobRichardsFanatic

Re: My personal art quest kinda NSFW

Postby Bowmanl3 » June 29th, 2017, 12:03 am

OK I'm assuming you want critiques so here you go:
1.in the first piece the anatomy seems a bit off (I'm not talking about the stylized proportions) for instance the face seems to be cooking straight while the tilt of the head suggests it would be at a 3/4 view. Another part which is a bit muddled and confusing is the leg that's shown in the bottom of the piece, the line between the upper thigh and and butt is just as weighted as that between the upper arm and forearm giving a forced sense of depth. These issues can be remedied by varying your line weight and searching for non animated reference photos.
2.the second image doesn't have a great value scale having only softly shaded and highlighted areas. While when you draw, especially when you draw in practicing realism, its important to realize there are areas which will be heavily dark that fade into light rather than the skin being a variety of hues in the same tone/shade. I find practicing in blacks and whites on a toned gray canvas helps with this practice. Another important feature to realize is the face contains many suggested lines but not actual lines, lines are good for mapping where you want color to go down but can ruin the illusion of realize. Finally when making art in full color pure white and black or grayscale colors used in the shading and highlighting process can make the skin muddled (a solution is using dark reds, blues and purples with light blues and yellows)
I hope this is helpful, I see a lot of potential with how clean your line work is and how interesting you pose the figures you draw, don't give up!!!
Bowmanl3

Postby BobRichardsFanatic » June 30th, 2017, 1:26 am

Thank you for taking the time, I'm always open to critiques on my art.

Sometimes I have a hard time with certain face angles, I agree I really should use references, so that I can learn more effectively. Right now I draw entirely from my imagination, but I realize that I need reference photos to improve.
Thank you for pointing out the issues with the line width, I have a tendency to make them arbitrarily thick or thin, I wasn't sure how to go about dynamic line widths, but now it's clearer to me.

I appreciate all your tips, especially the ones about my realistic digital painting. In that particular one, I was mostly winging it; I barely knew anything about how to achieve that realistic look, I just assumed it was all about lots of blending, but I see now there is more to it like the importance of contrast you mentioned. I'll be sure to work on the tones and the exercise on grey paper with just black and white.

Thanks for your help! :)
BobRichardsFanatic

Postby BobRichardsFanatic » August 31st, 2017, 12:44 pm

I made some more new things that I'd like to share:

My default style:

A style where I tried to do soft shading:

And a little more realism practice:

I like my default style the most, but I also enjoy trying out different styles.
BobRichardsFanatic

Postby BobRichardsFanatic » September 10th, 2017, 3:43 pm

My first full-body attempt at realistic digital painting:

Spoiler! :
BobRichardsFanatic

Return to Creative Showcase