Critiques please!

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: Critiques please!

Postby eishiya » September 3rd, 2018, 9:51 am

These latest two look quite nice! Looks like you're getting more comfortable with making swooshy strokes.

When you colour shadows, don't shade with just a darker version of the base colour. Instead, "hue-shift" it, that is, change its hue to something closer to some other colour. Shift towards the same hue for all your shadow colours, and then your colours will not only look more dynamic, but they'll also feel more unified. This is because IRL, light bounces and carries colour with it, usually the ambient colour of the scene. Local colours also bounce, but this usually only comes into play with brightly-coloured objects, they'll tend to colourise the shadows around them to their colour. So for example, in your drawing of Sky, she seems to be outside with a blue sky, so most of the shadows should be bluish, but the shadows where her hair is facing the red shirt should probably be reddish.

Because colours bounce around so much, grey objects rarely get to actually []be[/i] grey. In your FMA art, Al should be reflecting a lot of the warm colours around him, as should Ed's arm, since metal is particularly reflective. Ed's clothing is probably less reflective, but it should still be getting a bit of that ambient colour - there's just not enough pure white light in the scene to allow it to be so grey, because the environment is not white/grey.
eishiya

Postby Karasu Inoue » September 4th, 2018, 10:11 am

Thanks for the reply! It’s been a while. The critiques really help and I’ve grown a lot as a person since 2012. I look back at my older posts and I was still pretty sensitive to criticism back then lol but I realized that I really really need it. I’m 100% committed to my comic now and I mean it. I’m in the process of reworking my character designs and rebuilding the world and concepts. Expect plenty of dumps in the coming months. Full time job slows me down but I need this. Rusty Gears has been an idea for way too long. Your critique is really appreciated.

I’ve come a long way and I think I’m ready to start my comic but my coloring is definitely the weakest link right now, my least developed skill. This next piece of fanart was done before the others, and I was going for the same cell shaded look of the source material but not an exact copy of it. Took some liberties.

Spoiler! :
Karasu Inoue

Postby Karasu Inoue » October 8th, 2018, 11:44 pm

received_438897226633222.jpeg
(278.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Karasu Inoue

Postby Karasu Inoue » October 8th, 2018, 11:45 pm

received_294252897846386.jpeg
(294.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Karasu Inoue

Postby Karasu Inoue » October 14th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Here’s my latest work! I recently redesigned Sky and Ace a bit in my last posts so I drew a splash page of them together for the first time in a long time. Here it is as well as the original drawing of Sky I drew inspiration from.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Link for full screen http://i67.tinypic.com/71kbbr.jpg
Karasu Inoue

Previous

Return to Creative Showcase