Critiques please!

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: Critiques please!

Postby eishiya » September 3rd, 2018, 9:51 am

These latest two look quite nice! Looks like you're getting more comfortable with making swooshy strokes.

When you colour shadows, don't shade with just a darker version of the base colour. Instead, "hue-shift" it, that is, change its hue to something closer to some other colour. Shift towards the same hue for all your shadow colours, and then your colours will not only look more dynamic, but they'll also feel more unified. This is because IRL, light bounces and carries colour with it, usually the ambient colour of the scene. Local colours also bounce, but this usually only comes into play with brightly-coloured objects, they'll tend to colourise the shadows around them to their colour. So for example, in your drawing of Sky, she seems to be outside with a blue sky, so most of the shadows should be bluish, but the shadows where her hair is facing the red shirt should probably be reddish.

Because colours bounce around so much, grey objects rarely get to actually []be[/i] grey. In your FMA art, Al should be reflecting a lot of the warm colours around him, as should Ed's arm, since metal is particularly reflective. Ed's clothing is probably less reflective, but it should still be getting a bit of that ambient colour - there's just not enough pure white light in the scene to allow it to be so grey, because the environment is not white/grey.
eishiya

Postby Karasu Inoue » September 4th, 2018, 10:11 am

Thanks for the reply! It’s been a while. The critiques really help and I’ve grown a lot as a person since 2012. I look back at my older posts and I was still pretty sensitive to criticism back then lol but I realized that I really really need it. I’m 100% committed to my comic now and I mean it. I’m in the process of reworking my character designs and rebuilding the world and concepts. Expect plenty of dumps in the coming months. Full time job slows me down but I need this. Rusty Gears has been an idea for way too long. Your critique is really appreciated.

I’ve come a long way and I think I’m ready to start my comic but my coloring is definitely the weakest link right now, my least developed skill. This next piece of fanart was done before the others, and I was going for the same cell shaded look of the source material but not an exact copy of it. Took some liberties.

Spoiler! :
Http:/twitter.com/officialgears for the latest updates on my work in progress comic Rusty Gears!
Karasu Inoue

Postby Karasu Inoue » October 8th, 2018, 11:44 pm

received_438897226633222.jpeg
(278.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Http:/twitter.com/officialgears for the latest updates on my work in progress comic Rusty Gears!
Karasu Inoue

Postby Karasu Inoue » October 8th, 2018, 11:45 pm

received_294252897846386.jpeg
(294.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Karasu Inoue

Postby Karasu Inoue » October 14th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Here’s my latest work! I recently redesigned Sky and Ace a bit in my last posts so I drew a splash page of them together for the first time in a long time. Here it is as well as the original drawing of Sky I drew inspiration from.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Link for full screen http://i67.tinypic.com/71kbbr.jpg
Karasu Inoue

Postby Karasu Inoue » November 16th, 2018, 1:46 am

Spoiler! :

Elora from Spyro 2 In the reignited trilogy! Just threw this together pretty quickly but would still like to hear some thoughts on it and my other posts. :)
Karasu Inoue

Postby Smopit » November 16th, 2018, 9:53 am

(On Elora)

I think it's super cute. You did a really nice job on it. Very strong colors and your shading is pretty good. As far as things to improve, I think just using bigger bolder shapes would go far. Such as giving more bow to the legs. As is, her legs have only a subtle curve, but they're supposed to be the hind legs of an animal so they could use a deeper curve to give them more of an animal-like quality rather than a human quality but with hooves. Same thing with her leaf skirt. Her leaves look a bit skinny and wilted. They could be wider and more bold and defined, kind of like the pedals on a flower. It also looks like you've given her a little doe tail, but Elora has a big old furry fox-like tail.... Personal opinion, I also like to see teeth. Whether it's shaded teeth, drawn teeth, just a little line that indicates teeth. I feel that teeth bring a LOT of depth to a mouth.

There is some line overlap and gaps that look kind of haphazard... I didn't go back and read the previous posts on this thread so I don't know if you've mentioned what tools you use when doing your lines but my little bit of advice is this: When I do my lines (and I have always been told I do beautiful line work) I zoom in. Like WAY WAY in to a drawing. That way instead of having to do a solid straight line all the way down a leg for example, I only have to do a small piece of the leg. And because I am so close, I can see where all my bumps, holes, and mistakes are and it makes them easier to fix. I find when I am zoomed all the way out it is harder to get in the little details and also I end up doing more of a sketch-like stroke like the kind you have.

And because I have a 1 year old baby trying to climb on me and bang on my keyboard, that is all I can offer for now lol.
Smopit

Postby Karasu Inoue » November 28th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Too big to post here but here it is. http://i68.tinypic.com/t6xs8l.png

The final (For my current skill level) character design of my main character Sky Rivers!

I’m excited to announce that Rusty Gears episode 1 is officially in production too! I would love to hear thoughts on how she looks and such. This is basically a reference sheet for her. I expect her look to gradually improve as I draw her over the years just as it always has. Thanks for all the responses and for taking the time to look at my thread!
Karasu Inoue

Postby Karasu Inoue » December 7th, 2018, 12:34 am

Spoiler! :

Before the final design for Sky I drew this little thing. This was when I was approaching that final design. I realized she wasn’t quite the right age I was going for. She looks to be In her early 20s here but I needed her to look more towards 18. Thus the changes.

Now for this next one, not quite complete but pretty much there here’s Anya Kaylock. For the first time in years I’m updating her design (and name)!

Spoiler! :

Direct links for full screen

Sky (Old)
http://i66.tinypic.com/mv2q8l.jpg

Anya

http://i63.tinypic.com/v8k7dy.jpg
Karasu Inoue

Previous

Return to Creative Showcase