Key's Art & Sculptures & ... Stuff

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Key's Art & Sculptures & ... Stuff

Postby Captain Ghost » February 3rd, 2012, 3:25 pm

Hi! Welcome to my irregularly updated art thread!
I have a soft spot for traditional works but I've been trying to improve with digital stuff of late!
And I sometimes--very-rarely do sculptures too.

Old stuff old stuff
For lack of having a more interesting title in mind at the moment. -cough-

Anyway! Participating in this thing here.

Kind of nervous. Not really content with how a lot of it's been coming out so far, but oh well.
Any tips/crits/etc. are appreciated and welcome (: I know I have a long ways to go, but I intend to get there. Yup~

Feb 01
Spoiler! :
Just doodling stuff. Willow, from GT- and a new cat tree I got in my room. I've never made a habit of drawing what I see in front of me much-- something I'm trying to fix. Also Frey heads-- Frey's one of my oldest chars. 14-16 years now, it's been?

Feb 02
Spoiler! :
More stuff from in my room. A small toy skate, a Luffy figurine (I've drawn that one before a few months ago-- not sure which version I like better though), cat post, garbage can annnd. More Willow. Ugh. FEET. WHYYY. I love drawing feet/hands, but. . . it's rough, haha.

Trying to get a hang of this character before he appears next page in MotM. Hmn~

Nothing for today, the third of Feb -- yet, anyway. Been sketching/inking comic pages mostly.
Computer access is kinda limited, so odds are I'll be posting stuff up in bunches when I get the chance.
Thanks for dropping by ^^;;
Last edited by Captain Ghost on November 30th, 2014, 5:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Captain Ghost

Re: Key's ... stuff [FEB]

Postby lonk » February 3rd, 2012, 4:14 pm

liking the study sketches of things in your room =D

Also wow, that concept for your zelda comic looks very interesting, I should totally check out your comic (and then check the comics on my fav.. very bad habit of not reading them for months, what am I doing here? I can't be a true Jeevesian with that laziness! *poofs away*)

Oh but one more say before poofing off, keep it up!
bricks wrote:my mother mentioned to my uncle that i would like horror manga for my bday....so he gives me horror manga.. aka horrible manga aka 2 vols of hetalia

Seven Rain wrote:Here, how about some more animals being d-Umm... Jerks.
lonk

Postby Captain Ghost » February 3rd, 2012, 5:58 pm

Thanks, Lonk ^^~
Hee hee, have fun catching up ;o I feel as though I fall tremendously behind after even just a few days not reading, never mind months. . .

Feb o3!
Spoiler! :
I looked outside my living room window to see what I could see with my new eyes~ (yey lasik?~)
Again, I don't draw this kind of stuff often, so hopefully it's good practice.
Only real issue I have with it is the fact that the stuff in the background is supposed to be waaay farther back.

Had some room left on yesterday's page for that concept draft.
Willow and... my cat. She's not meant to be holding the cat hahaha. It just kind of... layered overtop.
(My cat was not being very cooperative.)

Now... off to go check other February challengers' threads, I think. (:
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » February 4th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Uh... not sure what the rules are in this forum about double-posting? S:
I've seen others do it so -- just let me know if you, err... aren't supposed to?

Feb 04~!
Spoiler! :
Used a lot of pose refs I had saved to the comp. Also my cat.
Kinda would like to do gestures at some point but need to look into how to actually go about doing that
(especially if I might not have net/comp access most of the time when I draw. mmn. . .)
Captain Ghost

Postby AlkseeyaKC » February 5th, 2012, 12:08 am

I like the kitties!!! X3
AlkseeyaKC

Postby lonk » February 5th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Captain Ghost wrote:Kinda would like to do gestures at some point but need to look into how to actually go about doing that
(especially if I might not have net/comp access most of the time when I draw. mmn. . .)[/spoiler]

If you have a phone you could maybe save it there? also posting more than once in your thread is fine here, as long as it's artwork and such

Nice continued work, cats always love breaking the rules, just for funsies
bricks wrote:my mother mentioned to my uncle that i would like horror manga for my bday....so he gives me horror manga.. aka horrible manga aka 2 vols of hetalia

Seven Rain wrote:Here, how about some more animals being d-Umm... Jerks.
lonk

Postby Captain Ghost » February 8th, 2012, 12:29 am

KC: Thanks ^^ Kitties are fun~

Lonk: No phone/ipod/thing-y that would seem suitable for that kind of thing. Not yet, anyway >w< Though, I have a camera with a small screen but. . . eh... I dunno. Hopefully I will figure something out : D
And yeah, cats do like to do that eh? haha. Mine posed for me an entire page of sketches once -- it felt something akin to a mircale! haha~

Feb 05-06
Spoiler! :
Been a tad under the weather.

Feb 06
Spoiler! :
Still not feeling so hot. These were sketched off pictures I took on my camera. Very small screen to go off D: still, I think they turned out all right~
In clockwise rotation: Mike, some guy we went fishing with on a Mexico trip. He caught a sting ray or something O:
Then, there were these guys at the docks always dressed up in pirate gear. Was so cool.
Bottom right, gamer cat! It adopted us for a little while before we found its family. I snapped a shot of it cuddling up with the N64 controller.
Last, my brother, doing some sort of ... victory pose... maybe. After winning a rock skipping contest with my mother/sister?

Feb 07
Spoiler! :
Just a bunch of head shots. Still not in a really good mood, but... at least my throat isn't tooo sore anymore. Just a sniffly nose and... blargh. Anyway. Sketching away.
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » February 12th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Mrrrr. So I definitely missed three days. I don't know when the last time I went three days without doodling even a little headshot on someone's mail envelope was, really... sigh. Bleh. Anyway.

Feb 11
Spoiler! :
Doodled a bit while volunteering at a table -- it was occasionally a bit slowgoing. Yay maple sugar fest : D
One of these days I will get hats and feet right. I swear :I
(The sis brushed some pencil on the bottom headshots...)

Curiously... after that page of sketches, the supervisor at my table inquired about commissioning me for a pic of her husband for Valentine's Day, or something like that. Ten bucks, she'd said. My eyes must have bugged out of my head, I'm sure, aheh . . .
... then, all of a sudden, feelings of artsy inferiority kinda crushed any desire I had to inquire further about such a proposition e.e;;
I mean, *I* personally really liked how most of those sketches turned out (just wish Rem's left arm was a tad longer). But... still so much to learn o__o;

Sigh.

Feb 12
Basically finished inking/colouring a couple of comic pages. Don't have the patience for much more, but... maybe later tonight? Neh.
Page o2 GT
Spoiler! :

Page o3 MotM
Spoiler! :

Not particularly content with the colouring/penciling in either, but meh. It's something~
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » February 16th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Coulda sworn I'd doodled something for the 13th but.. can't find it I:

February 14
Spoiler! :
I'm not even sure. . .

Also a bunch of sketches of maps for this guild I semi-run at this forum I RP at... (Also Feb 14)
Spoiler! :
Basically very sketch-y sketches for the person (a coleader of mine) who actually wants to do a nice map. |3

February 15 stuff
Coloured part of a page for Abrahamian's Sword of Winds
Spoiler! :
Just need to add a dab of shading and pick up a ref for Aryll's clothes : d

Also... if anyone's good/has the time for a red line...
Spoiler! :
Anything look off on this, before I start colouring...?

aannd. random brief face animation thing-o
Spoiler! :
Yay, Reyviir. I usually don't do much with the mouth... and it's been a long time since I've tried eyes, even. But anyway @__@ I dunno. whee.
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » February 19th, 2012, 11:33 pm

Feb 16
Spoiler! :
Pretty happy with this bunch. I thihk I'ma take Tay's full body and ink it digitally to use as a sig where I RP. (Though I will... straighten his body a tad I think)

Feb 17
Spoiler! :
Not sure what happened here, haha.
Oh. And I only scored 1 goal this weekend, and an assist or two : d not enough to advance us to the finals, unfortunately (though I did some darn good passing work ^ ^ YEAH! Hockey! <3)

Nothing on the 18th.
Will probably put stuff for today (19th) and others days after the laptop comes back from the shop. . .~
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » February 24th, 2012, 1:10 pm

If anybody's reading, would particularly like crits on Feb 22nd's sketches/inks? Or anything. I dunno.
As usual, any crits/tips are very welcome (:

Feb 19
Spoiler! :
Was not having a great day haha.

Feb 21
Spoiler! :
No comment...

Feb 22 sketches-- A lot on this day. Did some requests I got on dA after asking for photos of peeps/pets (also an OC sketch trade here n there)
Spoiler! :
^like most of this batch

And then!
Feb 22 digital inks! -- went over a bunch of older sketches I particularly liked.
Feels like I'm starting to get the hang of inking with the laptop's trackpad again : d
(It feels... easier than the tablet for me. At around the same speed e.e)
Spoiler! :
Taylef
Frey
"Twelve"
Willow, from my comic "Ghost's Tale" =3
Dav, from my Zelda comic "Maiden of the Moon"

Haven't scanned the 23rd's/drawn today's yet weeeoooo~
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » March 3rd, 2012, 8:47 pm

Feb 23 - Dance time?~
Spoiler! :

Feb 26 - Bunch o' headshots..
Spoiler! :

And with that, I guess my go at the Feb challenge is over. I missed quite a few days (roughly 11? got a few comic pages in there somewhere I didn't post here), but, still glad to have participated. All in all, most of February just... sucked, but, oh well. Spring is right around the corner, so I'ma have to pick myself up and go go go O:

Gonna keep posting in here when I get the chance, I think.

March 01
Spoiler! :
Basically my characters interacting with a few of my friends' characters. Except Thor/Eirlys, I didn't have much in my head for reference, so they're probably terribly off. Neh.

March 01 also - coloured one of those digital pics I inked in Feb
Spoiler! :
Messed up on his hand/pant leg colouring, but... all in all I like it enough.

Over the past week or so, I've sketched about 9 comic pages too, and inked about 5. Pretty content about that (:
Captain Ghost

Re: Key's ... stuff

Postby Captain Ghost » April 26th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Hrm, haven't posted here in awhile :I

Anyway, mostly just inked/coloured a bunch of sketches (most of which were posted here prior).

So... most of this was sketched either late last year or early this year-- and then a lot was inked in February-- and thennn, coloured them all yesterday.
A few are wonky in terms of anatomy, and shading is still.. a very big work in progress for me. But I'm trying to push it a bit more than usual, so we'll see >w<

Comic chars
Spoiler! :
Dav (aka a Link), from my LoZ fancomic

Willow, from my other main comic, GT-- a crossover world currently set in Pokemon : d

RP chars
Spoiler! :
Reyviir-- a youth who gets both easily bored and easily excited.

Also he's kind of a spaz.

Here's his slightly narcissistic father, Taylef. The skull belongs to this guy's mother -- he dug it up to freak out his brother. . . in part.

And here is said brother, Frey -- one of my oldest chars, and by far the guy I draw the most ~ His hair should be more like his brother's/nephew's but he was cursed at some point. (Explains the tail too.) ... I forgot his skeleton arm somehow. . .

Just a concept drawing. Not really digging the hair bit at the front. "Twelve" is either Frey's niece or daughter of 80 years ago. Isn't life complicated...?
.. I've never actually RPed her yet though. She's one of my more recent chars, from a little before December. Still needs a lot of figuring out.

and that's that =x
Might upload some of the few sketches I've done since the Feb challenge. Haven't been using the sketchbook much-- been sketching comic pages though, I guess, but...
Captain Ghost

Re: Key's ... stuff

Postby ryank_119 » April 26th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Not bad at all! Loving the art work!
ryank_119

Re: Key's ... stuff [Help with gestures?]

Postby Captain Ghost » July 25th, 2012, 11:21 pm

A super belated thank you ^^;

I haven't done much 'completed' work since then (and even less so digital, thanks to lack of own computer), but...
mm...
Recently, I took up the tablet again, for the first time in, what? years? haha. (The last bunch of digital work I did here was with a laptop's track pad. I prefer it in a lot of ways >>)

Did a set of semi-silhouettes for a friend a week or two ago:
Spoiler! :
I like the winged one best

And an art trade with dA user Hannukah
Spoiler! :
He was supposed to be flying through the air but... it didn't turn out like I envisioned haha.
I like it despite its flaws though.

And, finally, just a small random (not to mention failed) attempt at a chibi. I have never been able to do them. Gonna do a set of a bunch of my RP chars, this is one of 5.
yesheismissinganarm. he'llfindit... eventually.
(he should know better than to tear off his own skeletal arm and then throw it at a werewolf, one supposes)

ANYWAY!!
Recently started doing 30 second gestures, 2 sets of 5 mins both morning and night.
Using posemaniacs at the moment.

In any case, if anyone could give me any tips/let me know if I'm moving in the right direction, please let me know? =)
It'd be hugely appreciated.

I'm struggling most with top-down/bottom-up views, as well as just... presenting clarity in general, I guess.

Oh! And, when's a good time to move on to longer sketches?

I have a full dump of days 17-21 here -- (WARNING, BIG-ish file)
but I have just a select few cropped out below to give a general idea of where I'm at.

Day 1
Spoiler! :

Day 2
Spoiler! :

Day 3
Spoiler! :

Day 4
Spoiler! :

Day 5
Spoiler! :

I've been sketching a bit on the side too, of course. Though mostly this and comicking.
I'll update with more during my next scanning session, but in the meantime I'm still drawing! Feedback is always welcome <3
Captain Ghost

Next

Return to Creative Showcase