Key's Art & Sculptures & ... Stuff

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: Key's ... stuff [Help with gestures?]

Postby Captain Ghost » August 1st, 2012, 8:41 pm

Still hacking away at those 30 second gestures, 2 of 10 both morning and night. . .
Contemplating pushing half those sets to a minute instead of 30 seconds? I dunno.

Some of them are starting to come together better in terms of flow, I think.
While others are still looking quite.. difficult, I guess. S:

The whole gesture dump, if interested
[fairly big file, just a head's up]

And, below, just a select few:

July 23
Spoiler! :

July 24
Spoiler! :

July 25
Spoiler! :

Not sure what happened to my July 22, 26, and 27 files o_o but anyway. . .

... Feet keep giving me the hardest time. I have no idea why their shape is so... weird to me. Mmrf.

I like drawing the 'wild' or action poses the best haha. Jumping and punching and whatnot.
Not sure how to convey a 'turned' or 3/4 body in just a few sparse lines like this. Nor above/below views, same as before.

Oh well. I'll keep on trekking in the meantime!
And if anyone has any tips, do share =) I would like nothing better than to improve.
Captain Ghost

Postby Nya » August 4th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Gestures, awesome! I'd definitely suggest pushing the second half of your gestures to 1 minute. That way you can start working on the form of the legs & arms & such instead of just a skeleton of sorts (which is also good of course!).

They're looking good though, for 30s! The flow is getting better I think. (:
Nya

Postby Captain Ghost » August 24th, 2012, 6:41 pm

Sorry for the... forever wait in replying.

I have indeed started trying a few sets of 60 seconds, and for the most part I'm pleased with how they're turning out.

Although... I kinda slacked a bit during August ):
Despite that, though! this past month or two, I feel like my art is really just. . . starting to get to where I'd like it to be?
I dunno. Anyway, I am super enamoured with the direction it's heading *w*~

Gesture dump o1, July 28-Aug 03
Gesture dump o2, Aug o4-Aug 24
*Warning, both are semi-hefty files!

As for a glimpse at just a few... (each spoiler has four-five smallish images)

July 28-31
Spoiler! :

August 01-04
Spoiler! :

August 05-08
Spoiler! :

August 14-18
Spoiler! :

Getting back on board the art train now, woo woo.

(Probably will upload a watercolour painting & some non-gesture-ish sketches soon-ish, in the midst of scanning them~)

As always, crits & tips fully welcome and appreciated (:
I feel like I'm so close to getting there... but...
... there's always gonna be so much to learn, hehe~
Captain Ghost

Re: Key's ... stuff [Feedback Welcome]

Postby Captain Ghost » September 17th, 2012, 7:48 pm

Moar gestures >>
Haven't finished scanning other stuff yet. But come to think of it, I haven't been doing a heck of a lot of 'for fun' sketching with these gesture sets 1-2x a day... those take about 15-25 minutes each session. Also been trying a little bit of negative space drawing practice! ... and, I think that may be helping more than the gestures have been. Or at the least, as soon as I started those, the gestures started sorta coming together more nicely, I think.

August 26 - September 04 dump
September 10 - September 17 dump
Negative space stuff

5 from the first batch:
Spoiler! :
Aug 27, 60s^
Aug 30, 60s^
Sept o4 30s^
60s^
60s^

5 from the second batch:
Spoiler! :
Sept 12, 30s^
60s^
Sept 13, 60s^
Sept 16, 30s^
60s^

just a few of the negative space exercises..
Spoiler! :
Sept o3^
Sept 10^
Sept 16^

some of them I am better at not 'outlining' than others. I have to remind myself not to 'outline' too much, knowing it defeats the purpose of the exercise @_@

I think I'm finally getting the hang of feet/legs!
.. .well, sort of. I seem to be stuck making the leg limbs a bit shorter than they ought in some cases. But feet, while still partly elusive, no longer baffle me quite as much as before : >
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » September 18th, 2012, 4:47 pm

And now, some other stuffs ~

Clay kitty!
Spoiler! :
A gift I sent to a friend of mine in the US (:
It took me way too long to do this thing from start to finish.
And kept cracking during the drying process ): despite being 'silky' smooth when I put it down.
(My guess is the tinfoil I put inside was not free enough of air, perhaps?... ... I dunno)

Anyway, fun stuff, I wanna do more. Maybe a mini Vaati or minish from Zelda, or Law from One Piece, or Frey from... my stories... >> depending on how much clay I have left. I do have another gift I wanna make, too.

A watercolour painting~
Spoiler! :
My model ran away during the sketching to go chase after a bear >>
I had someone coaching me for most of this pic. It was a refreshing experience ^^
I have played with water colour pencils a bit last year, but actual watercolours?
Not since I was a toddler, methinks~ Fun stuff.
Bigger version: http://fav.me/d5f9j3l

Also compiled my 'for fun' sketches~ from July to mid September,
Sketch dump

Buuut I cropped my favourites into a couple of smaller collages that I'll post here (:

Characters & hands
Spoiler! :

Characters & scenery
Spoiler! :
Mountains are from my dad's balcony
the two sorta hard-to-see ones under it, to the left, are at a ferry terminal

Yup yup!
Crits & tips always welcome (:

now back to practice~
Captain Ghost

Postby Aenea » September 20th, 2012, 8:12 am

Hi,
I love the cat statue. ☺
As for your studies, it seems to me that you are not very good with anatomy, which is a shame, because otherwise I really like your style.
Aenea

Postby Captain Ghost » September 20th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Haha, thanks... (I think? : P)

Anatomy is definitely a work in progress, but I guess I've not improved as much as I'd hoped ^^ ;;
Depending on how things go here at home, I'd definitely like to try and get into some life drawing courses sooner than later.
For now, just finding what I can online...

If you've noticed anything in particular that needs attention (aside from just in general, which I'm trying to work at c: ), could you please let me know? ^^
Or if you've done any exercises that you found really helped you...

In any case, thanks for dropping by and leaving some feedback. Means a lot.
I'll just have to keep working harder ~
Captain Ghost

Postby Aenea » September 21st, 2012, 5:13 am

Hi,
Ok, I am referencing to this: Sketches July '12 - Sept '12
The sitting person (top right corner) is off. The hip and backside are not “under” the upper body. Draw a straight line down from the shoulders and you see what i mean. The standing persons are ok, but i am not sure if you really understand the anatomy underneath.
What I notices most was, that your arms are the wrong length a lot of the time (to short and to long). Also, the shape is off sometimes. You know, the curves are not where they should be. But i guess its better to first make full body studies, than just drawing arms because the position of the arm can change the body position, too.
Drawing courses are (I guess) good for the basics, but to really get a lot better you just have to draw a lot, and this, no class can do for you. But you do practice a lot, so keep it up.
If you want to study anatomy i can recommend you posespace, posemaniacs (maybe not so good to understand how the skin and fat/muscles really work, but to get an basic understanding of the forms) and some dA stocks. Also a good anatomy book might help, for understanding, not for practicing.

I hope this helps you. I know I am not the best artist here, but I hope if I wrote something wrong someone will correct me. ☺

Edit:
Haha, thanks... (I think? : P)

To clarify: i like your style, just that i would like it more, with nicer anatomy. :)
Aenea

Postby Captain Ghost » September 22nd, 2012, 8:35 pm

Oh! Sorry about that ^^; I didn't mean to sound so hesitant with my thank-you. . . Was just having a... weird day, for lack for a better word. >< My bad.

I see what you mean, looking closer. Definitely needing some changes. I hadn't noticed the arms though, my focus was more on the legs that have been giving me a hard time, so thanks for bringing that to my attention also!
And thanks a million for those links ~

I will do my best to work hard and improve, same as you are ^^ -salutes-
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » January 4th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Hmm, it's been awhile o-o
Here's what I've been up to the past few months...

Sculpture for my friend, Amber <3
Spoiler! :
Her right wing broke ): I tried to fix it by adding more clay (which is why the seat is so high up-- originally there was no backing, but she wasn't sitting still on the rock S: )(and I have no crazy glue :C )
Then it broke AGAIN during transport. But it was fixable, thankfully...)
My friend took the pictures cause I was too excited to send it and forgot to do so @__@

Anyway, the sculpture is of her atavian character Serene/Rene. A mix of both incarnations, sorta. <3

Sculpture for my dad and his ladyfriend <3
Spoiler! :

Used a few refs for this but the dog's legs were beyond my skill/patience levels S: I made the aluminum skeleton too big, so the legs wound up chunky in the aftermath instead of lean like I'd hoped. Tried some texturing stuff with this one too, pretty happy with how that turned out.

And this one is the first of my airdry clay works that hasn't cracked!! eeeeeeeeee
I tried putting some damp newspaper inside on top of the aluminum so it'd have some room to shrink, and I kept it better wrapped (and longer) in plastic, and sprayed it pretty often the first 3-4 days of drying so it wouldn't dry too fast. I dunno just how much any of that helped, or if maybe I just was better about not using water to patch things up, etc, but whatever it was... seems to have worked. A happy camper am I.

My little sister helped with the painting.

And now for something different! Pointilism + chalk pastel + markers
Spoiler! :

This was for a contest at my home RP base, Daeluin.
I had so many other ideas I wanted to enter but this wound up being it.
Bigger version here
Hand's a bit square but, eh.

100 Theme Challenge
I meant to start like a year or so ago but here's figuring there's no time like the present.
Been stuck on concepts for number 4 but I finally got something so... soon.

1. Introduction
Spoiler! :
Scary isn't it :I
Did this while looking in a little mirror. Only recently noticed how oddly sunken in my eyes look :u ...
mrrrf. I duunnoo. Realism needs work.

2. Love
Spoiler! :
Love is like a kite.
But less tangible, maybe.

3. Light
Spoiler! :
Was supposed to be something about the refraction of light through a crystal but I'm not 100% sure anymore what my thoughts were regarding the concept...
Worked on this on and off during November.

OCT Stuff
Joining another comic tournament...
My two characters...
Spoiler! :
Chipper gal. Rika Saizon.

Spoiler! :
An early concept, playing with colours...
Decided to go with this instead:
He's a bit stiff for my liking =/ but he'll have to do for now.

Carved some pumpkins too, but I can't for the life of me find where I put their pictures. Majora's Mask and Toothless.
I think working in 3D is helping me sorta wrap my head around the concept slowly but sure.
And I think I will be buying myself one of Scott McCloud's books on comics for my birthday. . .

Haven't been doing much sketching/gestures, but I do have some-- they're just not scanned in yet. So that, next time, I think.
Captain Ghost

Re: Key's Sculptures & Art & ... Stuff [FEB]

Postby Captain Ghost » February 2nd, 2013, 12:15 am

ashdjkahsdf

Oh yeah this Feb challenge thing is starting up again isn't it...
I thought we were the 31st still D:
But anyway
While I can't guarantee I will be able to scan and check in every single day--
I intend to try my best and draw all the same. Woooo!

So far though I have only finished this rough concept-- a friend wanted to know what a character of mine might look/act like at the age of 35.
She would finally have realized her dream of being a clothing designer...

Spoiler! :

Trouble is I'm not sure if she'd still be alive at 35 haha.
Health complications (not sure what kind yet, mind)

What do I hope to get out of this month...?
Hmm...
Studies! I would like to do a bunch of those-- my classes take me downtown, so, weather providing, I have a pretty good spot for people creeping 8>
also backgrounds. and values.
yeah!
I dunno. Simple start. -salutes-
Captain Ghost

Re: Key's Art & Sculptures & ... Stuff

Postby Captain Ghost » November 30th, 2014, 6:32 pm

It's been awhile eyyyy?

I've still been drawing though. I haven't really done much for studies (oops) but I actually managed to get a bunch of finished pieces done this year compared to some prior.
.... I do plan on getting back into studies though. Pretty soon at that.
But anyway, since the last time I posted here, I've perhaps not improved overmuch in some areas, but I've definitely grown in others!

From least recent to most:

A colour pencil commission of sorts - made for a friend in exchange for him sending me his old copy of Windwaker. Pokemon! (August 2013 -- everything else is 2014)
Spoiler! :

More Pokemon stuff, starting to practice digital now, I -think- this is when I first got my hands on my new tablet? Or might've been using the laptop trackpad still like my older digital stuff but I don't think so...? Anyway expect more pokemon, this is a trend over this year as I've joined a community or two thanks to friends I made during past tournaments. (May)
Spoiler! :

Pokemon, Super Contests, was experimenting with lineless stuff because I love the lineless look! (May)
Spoiler! :

More Super Contests, this one pushed me a bit -- I never thought I'd draw anything like this i we're honest haha. Supposed to be a 'Cute' category contest, with a subtheme of sweets and/or magical boy/girl. ... Yeah. (June)
Spoiler! :

A sculpture this time. I need to make moooaaar. Anyway this was a gift for a friend I went to visit in Aussie Land. It was also my first time playing with Sculpey instead of Crayola's air dry clay. Bit of a difference in how workable it is after a certain point, and less issues with cracks, I found. (August)
Spoiler! :

What happens when pokemon meets DnD (sorta)? A Meander happens. Anyway this one was super experimental. I'm not sure if we're gonna survive our current round to be honest (ahaha). (August)
Spoiler! :

Fire Emblem meets pokemon. A crossover of FE with my nuzlocke comic characters. Cookie if you know all the FE chars' outfits << (August)
Spoiler! :

A Kiriban I had that my friend caught, and an attempt at painting digitally. Two of our RP characters. I'm not sure why but I think this is one of my favourite pieces this year. (October)
Spoiler! :

Art trade with a fellow RPer at my main haunt. (November)
Spoiler! :

aaand finally, the latest-- I inked over a bunch of old sketches to make myself a reference sheet for one of my dearest characters, seeing as how I for some reason had noooo recent/current refs of him at all! Which makes it a PITA to get commissions of him done... well, no problem with that any longer! (Nov)
Spoiler! :

Yeah. I guess that's enough for now O:
I like where it's all heading ^^~
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » February 3rd, 2015, 11:31 pm

More stuff!

More Meander-ing
Spoiler! :
O'Connor the cacturne Harlequin, Nash the mightyena Templar (not hugely happy with how she turned out), Na'Mi the sableye Black Mage, and Samuel the houndoom Warrior,
all facing off against Cadus the mega gardevoir Archmage...
Fun times :V
Possibly one of the first times I'm actually starting to get a grip on effects--I thoroughly enjoyed playing around with them, and have done more of that since~

Collab with a friend-- she later coloured it
Spoiler! :
Two of our RP characters chillin' together. Frey in the background is mine, Caitlin in the front is hers~

Still more Meanderer stuff, we're at the last room!
Spoiler! :
Boss battle time! The rod I got, by fusing two items together, has a special ability: half the boss's HP. that was useful :V we got his minion but Lord Dome is still alive... for now.

Fireworks!
Spoiler! :
For a mission in the group I'm in, the IPL (international pokemon league-- same group I did those super contest festivals for)

... I like that last one a fair bit haha~
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » April 15th, 2016, 8:55 pm

another year later... hullo :V

I can report some improvement at the least, thankfully ^^;

my gestures have improved!
Spoiler! :
longer sketches
shorter sketches

School had me dabble a bit in 3D modelling in Maya
Spoiler! :
(lawd I almost wanna redo it cause I know I could do it so much better now)
some zelda stuff, yeeee phantom hourglass V:

My portrait drawing improved a fair bit --
those are all me holy hell what even
I can finally stop crying about my art feeling stale <<! at least.

Need to keep pushing though, just thought I'd drop in here ovo!
Captain Ghost

Postby Captain Ghost » May 24th, 2016, 12:02 am

hullo V:

Was looking at some school works again;;
for one assignment, we had to do a caricature. I went with Patrick Marleau of the San Jose Sharks.
Looking at it again now there are a few things I mighta pushed more.

Spoiler! :

Another assignment, we had to design a robot. I can't recall the exact criteria but I think we had to stick to shapes, it had to have a purpose, we had to look out for silhouette, etc.

Spoiler! :

and last guy I did for fun awhile back and like how he turned out, felt a bit more stylized than my usual and so I had to try more in the same vein (which proved fun ~)

Spoiler! :

/wooooosh
Captain Ghost

Previous

Return to Creative Showcase