Alexis Posts Picture Things

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Alexis Posts Picture Things

Postby Alexis_Royce » June 10th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Whew! Been working on this on and off for about a month. Inked on bristol board, then colored in Photoshop. Click it to see a larger version on dA; I didn't want to upload a giant version to the forums.

It's a group shot from an old campaign.
Last edited by Alexis_Royce on December 2nd, 2017, 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alexis_Royce

Re: Alexis Posts Picture Things

Postby Alexis_Royce » August 11th, 2012, 11:45 am

I took a Legend of Zelda commission a few months back, and it's the first big piece I've done entirely on the computer. Usually, I do the inks with pen and paper, then color everything in photoshop.

Spoiler! :

And the chibi commissions are becoming more frequent, since I make them into phone charms for the commissioners. :3 I still need more work on simplifying designs, rather than just making everything smaller.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
Alexis_Royce

Postby eishiya » August 11th, 2012, 11:53 am

I like your two poster-style group pictures. It's tough to make them not feel cluttered, but I think you handled it pretty well.

I happen to like the amount of detail/design faithfulness in your chibis! I think rather than simplify the designs, you should look for the important/stand-out parts and exaggerate them more. When everything is merely shrunk, it can start to look cluttered. For example, for Thor, I would have made the hammer larger, and maybe detailed the circle things on his cape a bit more, since they're a fairly important part of the design.
On Clark Kent, I would have made the S shape take up more of his torso. However, the exaggerated hair twirl you drew is great! Good idea to make it shinier than the rest of the hair, too.
The Aerith chibi is another one where I thought the design faithfulness worked very well.
eishiya

Postby Alexis_Royce » August 13th, 2012, 8:56 am

eishiya wrote:I like your two poster-style group pictures. It's tough to make them not feel cluttered, but I think you handled it pretty well.

I happen to like the amount of detail/design faithfulness in your chibis! I think rather than simplify the designs, you should look for the important/stand-out parts and exaggerate them more. When everything is merely shrunk, it can start to look cluttered. For example, for Thor, I would have made the hammer larger, and maybe detailed the circle things on his cape a bit more, since they're a fairly important part of the design.
On Clark Kent, I would have made the S shape take up more of his torso. However, the exaggerated hair twirl you drew is great! Good idea to make it shinier than the rest of the hair, too.
The Aerith chibi is another one where I thought the design faithfulness worked very well.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give crit, I appreciate it. And I had a lot of trouble with Thor, so the advice there really helps. The sleek sculpting on a lot of modern superhero designs is tricky to chibify. For me, at least. XD
Alexis_Royce

Postby Aenea » August 13th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Hi,
You draw awesome chibis. :) Especially the last picture you posted was great. I love the poses!
Aenea

Postby Durvin » August 15th, 2012, 1:21 am

Here's an art exercise I would suggest to help with your quest to simplify characters: go way the fook further and turn the characters into squares. Start with a square (or maybe a circle or a triangle, whatever simple shape you like best) and turn it into the character. The easiest ones to do this with would probably be Silver Age Marvel characters, but then you gradually build up to where you can pull off politicians or characters from medical dramas.

Because everybody loves chibi politicians, right?
Durvin

Postby Azumitaiko » August 15th, 2012, 10:41 am

You've improved a lot for when you started illustrating evil plan! I remember thinking "man, she has a lot of trouble with proportions" when I first saw the webcomic, but looking at your zelda picture made me eat my words! Good job.

A suggestion, though. Sometimes you draw the noses too far away in the face when you draw 3/4 angles. You should move it back a little. Let me show you.

Spoiler! :

That's where the nose should be positioned. When you put it that far away, it makes the character's face look distorted, and almost abstract, in my opinion.

You're free to do what you want with my suggestion, of course. It's just something that always bugged me about some of the faces you draw.

Hope this didn't offend you in any way. :)
Azumitaiko

Postby Alexis_Royce » September 12th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Durvin wrote:Here's an art exercise I would suggest to help with your quest to simplify characters: go way the fook further and turn the characters into squares. Start with a square (or maybe a circle or a triangle, whatever simple shape you like best) and turn it into the character. The easiest ones to do this with would probably be Silver Age Marvel characters, but then you gradually build up to where you can pull off politicians or characters from medical dramas.

Because everybody loves chibi politicians, right?

Wow, that sounds like a really fun exercise! And definitely a good way to get in a minimalist mindset.

Azumitaiko wrote:You've improved a lot for when you started illustrating evil plan! I remember thinking "man, she has a lot of trouble with proportions" when I first saw the webcomic, but looking at your zelda picture made me eat my words! Good job.

A suggestion, though. Sometimes you draw the noses too far away in the face when you draw 3/4 angles. You should move it back a little. Let me show you.

Spoiler! :

That's where the nose should be positioned. When you put it that far away, it makes the character's face look distorted, and almost abstract, in my opinion.

You're free to do what you want with my suggestion, of course. It's just something that always bugged me about some of the faces you draw.

Hope this didn't offend you in any way. :)

No, not at all, that's all exceptionally helpful! And I do have a ton of trouble with proportions; they're one of the biggest holes in my already swiss-cheese drawing capabilities. Noses are also high on that list, so thank you again. ^_^ My friends have been chiding me about them for a while, but I didn't know how to go about changing them without making them super small and buttony.

I'm working on commissions tonight, one's a chibi, and the other's got a pretty sweet big nose, so I'll be able to put this advice right to work! Thank you guys again. ^_^
Alexis_Royce

Postby Alexis_Royce » September 12th, 2012, 1:46 pm

And a new post so the other one doesn't feel so cluttered. Double posting feels weird, but I guess it's okay in a thread like this, right?

Okay, on the subject of trees. I'm really bad at them. To pick two, I did this a year ago:

Spoiler! :

And this one last night (warning, possible spoilers for Deadly Premonition):

Spoiler! :

The second one does feel better than the first, but I really only think it's because I used a leaf brush. And while I did match the leaf to the correct kind of tree, it still feels like cheating. I kind of like how the scribbly base looks with the leaves, but my fiancee said she thought it looked really sloppy. And it's nothing something I like so much I'd try to defend it if everyone else thought it looked bad. XD

For both those pictures, I was working from reference images. I feel like I'm not looking at trees right. Nothing's going to replace sheer practice, but any tips for me to focus on while I work on my trees? I wanted to work on some pretty tree-heavy stuff this month, so now is definitely the time.
Alexis_Royce

Postby Azumitaiko » September 12th, 2012, 7:38 pm

The thing about painting trees is that there's really no way to draw the leaves perfectly, unless you're immensely patient and willing to spend several hours on just a tree. I like the first picture more because it feels more "organic", in the sense that you, with your own hand, drew the leaves for the tree. It blends with the character well. In the second one, while I don't consider it cheating, I do consider it sloppy looking. And that's something that's unavoidable when you make the leaves of a tree entirely out of a leaf brush.

The only thing I can recommend is to really simplify the leaves with small, simple, dynamic strokes. Like in this tutorial here: http://www.pocketmole.com/tutorials/trees/
The leaves are drawn with small strokes, and despite the simplicity, they manage to look incredibly detailed and dynamic. What you're doing "wrong" is you're over-complicating the process. Also, try NOT to draw big masses and then put leaves in them. It makes it look like a glob of gelatin with leaves stuck in it, you know? It's not organic.

So really, just simple strokes should really bring your trees to life. Some things don't need to be thought about that much. ;)

And if you have trouble with tree trunks, the tutorial I linked you to should help you with that. Good luck!
Azumitaiko

Postby Alexis_Royce » September 14th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Azumitaiko wrote:The thing about painting trees is that there's really no way to draw the leaves perfectly, unless you're immensely patient and willing to spend several hours on just a tree. I like the first picture more because it feels more "organic", in the sense that you, with your own hand, drew the leaves for the tree. It blends with the character well. In the second one, while I don't consider it cheating, I do consider it sloppy looking. And that's something that's unavoidable when you make the leaves of a tree entirely out of a leaf brush.

The only thing I can recommend is to really simplify the leaves with small, simple, dynamic strokes. Like in this tutorial here: http://www.pocketmole.com/tutorials/trees/
The leaves are drawn with small strokes, and despite the simplicity, they manage to look incredibly detailed and dynamic. What you're doing "wrong" is you're over-complicating the process. Also, try NOT to draw big masses and then put leaves in them. It makes it look like a glob of gelatin with leaves stuck in it, you know? It's not organic.

So really, just simple strokes should really bring your trees to life. Some things don't need to be thought about that much. ;)

And if you have trouble with tree trunks, the tutorial I linked you to should help you with that. Good luck!

This is just what I need. Practical criticism on technique. -u- That tutorial is lovely too; it even has bark. Delicious. Those manage to look both simple and full, and I know better how to focus my energies. Thank you.
Alexis_Royce

Postby Alexis_Royce » September 26th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Okay, less of a picture thing here, more of a gaming-bookish thing. I tried my hand at Ren'Py a while back, and made a demo for a visual novel, using Invader Zim. I'm thinking about using Ren'Py again in the future, and I was wondering if I could get any critical feedback after my first foray. I've never done this before, and it's been a couple years since I've flexed my prose writing muscles, so I could use comments on pretty much anything. I don't own Zim and a friend did the music, but other than that, any mistakes in there are all really my own fault.

You can download the game here: http://www.purple-tree-studios.com/files/reinvaded.zip Fair warning, it is a little bit dark, as it's a horror story thing.
Alexis_Royce

Postby Alexis_Royce » November 5th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Might as well toss some more picture things up!

And new chibis. The first set was to help me hash out some character designs for my NaNo, <i>Empathy,</i> and the second is some <i>Wreck-It Ralph</i> fanart, because a movie that adorable deserves all the love it can get.

Spoiler! :

I was experimenting with some different shading techniques in the top three, but Vanellope down there is more or less how I normally shade. Do you guys think that either one looks better than the other? I'm pretty torn.
Last edited by Alexis_Royce on May 15th, 2014, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis_Royce

Postby Alexis_Royce » December 9th, 2012, 9:17 am

Updates! I did a bigger Wreck-It Ralph thing, which was also an excuse to daw a bunch of video game paraphernalia. It took over 300 layers because I can't help putting ever thing on a separate layer. Had to make the background and the characters in two different files. Can you name all of the games referenced?

Spoiler! :
Last edited by Alexis_Royce on May 15th, 2014, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis_Royce

Postby AlkseeyaKC » December 9th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Love the Wreck-It Ralph pic! Your chibis are so cute too! =3
AlkseeyaKC

Next

Return to Creative Showcase