Mastering comics and moe girls

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Re: Random illustration

Postby eishiya » February 6th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Twinkiesama wrote:"less is more"

This is true only when you understand how to convey more with less. When you don't, less is just less. I highly recommend experimenting with different ways of drawing mouths. Don't hang onto a negative part of your style just because it's habit. Habits can and should be changed when they're not good.

On a similar note - play with facial proportions. With the large-eyed characters, I'm guessing you're going for a "cute" look, but with how the eyes are shaped and how long they make the face, I think they make your work much less cute than it could be. I can't quite put a finger on it, but sometimes about many of your drawings of large-eyed characters makes them look off, even a little creepy. I think it's the position and shape of the eyes, but I'm not sure.
I highly recommend looking into things like neoteny and popular cute/moe characters (both in manga and in other media, including real people) and analyse what makes them appear cute and attractive. There's much more to it than just big eyes and small noses and mouths.
eishiya

Postby Twinkiesama » February 6th, 2013, 4:22 pm

I highly recommend looking into things like neoteny and popular cute/moe characters (both in manga and in other media, including real people) and analyse what makes them appear cute and attractive. There's much more to it than just big eyes and small noses and mouths.

That is what I have my import Dengeki Daiohs, Comic Blades, Rex comics, Shoujo comics, and other mags for.

By the way, I have no idea what neoteny is.
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby eishiya » February 6th, 2013, 5:54 pm

When you have no idea what something is, google it xP It'll save you time, compared to waiting for an explanation from someone else that might not even come.
Neoteny is the tendendy of certain adult animals (including humans) to retain youthful characteristics (particularly infantile ones) into adulthood. This enhances cuteness, which in turn makes others want to protect them. Ever wonder why people go googoo for chihuahuas and pomenarians, but not bulldogs (at least, fewer people do)? Neoteny. If you can study what features neotenous humans and other animals have, you'll have a stronger understanding of what makes a character cute.

By really understanding it, you'll be able to depict it more effectively. That goes for everything though, not just cuteness. Study what you consider unattractive/uncute too. What makes it uncute? Understanding that will help you too.

Edit: By the way, the link in your signature is broken, and the fact that the code is visible makes your signature too large. You can fix it by getting rid of the line break before you start your IMG code.
eishiya

Postby Twinkiesama » February 7th, 2013, 11:22 am

When you have no idea what something is, google it xP It'll save you time, compared to waiting for an explanation from someone else that might not even come.
Neoteny is the tendendy of certain adult animals (including humans) to retain youthful characteristics (particularly infantile ones) into adulthood. This enhances cuteness, which in turn makes others want to protect them. Ever wonder why people go googoo for chihuahuas and pomenarians, but not bulldogs (at least, fewer people do)? Neoteny. If you can study what features neotenous humans and other animals have, you'll have a stronger understanding of what makes a character cute.

By really understanding it, you'll be able to depict it more effectively. That goes for everything though, not just cuteness. Study what you consider unattractive/uncute too. What makes it uncute? Understanding that will help you too.

Edit: By the way, the link in your signature is broken, and the fact that the code is visible makes your signature too large. You can fix it by getting rid of the line break before you start your IMG code.

Fair enough. I suppose it does not take a genius to figure out why my guinea pigs are so irresistible. Their beady little eyes, soft lips, small feet, diminutive size, and the squeaky sounds they make. (I'm beginning to sound like a creeper...)

I'll try to fix my signature...
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Twinkiesama » March 27th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Even more sample pages
Paintings
Wips and chips
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Twinkiesama » May 7th, 2013, 12:07 am

Sneak peek of my new short story.
Normal Twinkie comics
Paintings
I half-assed the background on that one.
First painting in Manga Studio 5.
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Twinkiesama » July 6th, 2013, 12:07 pm

I took a significant step backwards with my work, because my computer died. I'm now working on non-backwards compatible version of Manga Studio on my parent's computer.

More stuff!!

ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Twinkiesama » August 25th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Stuff!!
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Twinkiesama » October 28th, 2013, 1:02 am

I'm not dead. Lately, I've been trying to improve on placement of word balloons as a personal goal.
Pages
Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Stuff
Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Pink page troll for Breast Cancer Awareness month
Spoiler! :
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Queerious Toast » October 31st, 2013, 11:16 am

Something I've noticed in all of your female characters: What is up with their their clothes and their breasts? All of the clothes are really tight-fitting around the chest area, then will suddenly become loose. It's like some vacuum-packed the clothes on the breasts. That being said, I think you should observe how certain types of material behave, as well as studying how breasts work.
mosama wrote:Did I give you permission to bring my thread back from the dead with your flop ass autistic 5 year old doodle?
Queerious Toast

Postby Twinkiesama » November 1st, 2013, 12:28 pm

Queerious Toast wrote:Something I've noticed in all of your female characters: What is up with their their clothes and their breasts? All of the clothes are really tight-fitting around the chest area, then will suddenly become loose. It's like some vacuum-packed the clothes on the breasts. That being said, I think you should observe how certain types of material behave, as well as studying how breasts work.

Oh, I see. My girls don't tend to wear a lot of loose clothes around their chest area. Thanks for the observation, though.
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby eishiya » November 1st, 2013, 12:45 pm

Twinkiesama wrote:
Queerious Toast wrote:Something I've noticed in all of your female characters: What is up with their their clothes and their breasts? All of the clothes are really tight-fitting around the chest area, then will suddenly become loose. It's like some vacuum-packed the clothes on the breasts. That being said, I think you should observe how certain types of material behave, as well as studying how breasts work.

Oh, I see. My girls don't tend to wear a lot of loose clothes around their chest area. Thanks for the observation, though.

It's fine that they wear clothes that are tighter around the chest, but try to think about how such clothes might be made, and how they might actually sit on the body. Implausible/uncomfortable clothes can be very distracting, and thus detrimental to your artwork, especially in comics.

Think of the clothes your characters wear as part of the character's self-expression - what do the clothes tell us about the character? Why does the character choose to dress themselves that way (if they do)? Do they prioritise form or function? How did the character obtain them? Readers/viewers aren't likely to consciously think about these things, but if you consider and incorporate these things into your designs, then your readers will be able to read your art more effectively. It'll also force you to think more about your characters' lives, which will help your story-writing :]
eishiya

Postby Twinkiesama » April 1st, 2014, 12:56 pm

t's fine that they wear clothes that are tighter around the chest, but try to think about how such clothes might be made, and how they might actually sit on the body. Implausible/uncomfortable clothes can be very distracting, and thus detrimental to your artwork, especially in comics.

Think of the clothes your characters wear as part of the character's self-expression - what do the clothes tell us about the character? Why does the character choose to dress themselves that way (if they do)? Do they prioritise form or function? How did the character obtain them? Readers/viewers aren't likely to consciously think about these things, but if you consider and incorporate these things into your designs, then your readers will be able to read your art more effectively. It'll also force you to think more about your characters' lives, which will help your story-writing :]

Okay.

More stuff.
Spoiler! :

Comics
Spoiler! :

Free tones that I made. If you want them, just ask and I'll provide a link to them.
Spoiler! :
ImageCurrently on hiatus
Image With Terderrer
DeviantArt
Twinkiesama

Postby Twinkiesama » April 25th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Pages
Spoiler! :

Stuff
Spoiler! :

Have a good day and happy drawing.