Damatris arts

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Damatris arts

Postby Damatris » May 15th, 2015, 7:10 am

Heya! I'm still trying to figure out how this whole digital art thing is done so I'd be really, really happy for any critique you might give. Same goes for my traditional pieces too, of course.

Now let's get started!

Fan-art of Shin-Ah from Akatsuki no Yona

Random woman. It started as a OC concept but then it turned out to be so different looking than I was aiming for that I decided to just go with it and make it random illustration instead of basically re-doing the whole thing.

Ed from Fullmetal Alchemist. Whoo boy, did I have trouble with that perspective.

Watercolor piece of Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians

Ink and tea painting. Part of a three piece series.

Pencil portrait of Castiel / Misha Collins from Supernatural.
Damatris

Re: Damatris arts

Postby eishiya » May 15th, 2015, 8:09 am

One issue I see in your digital works is you're consistently using soft-edged brushes and getting vague, nonsense shadows/lights. Use hard-edged brushes more, with pen pressure controlling opacity, and nothing else; if you're using a mouse, you can get the same look by using low-opacity brushes and doing a bit more work on going over things a few times. Most shadows are sharp, and even the soft ones aren't as smooth and even as what you'll get with a soft brush. Many artists paint even soft brushes with hard-edged brushes, because it gives them more control over the shape and softness of it.

Of course, having greater control over your shadows and lights relies on you knowing where to put those shadows and lights, and I don't know whether that's something you're comfortable with since it's all so undefined in your digital work, and I suspect the shadows in your Castiel fanart might be based on a photo. It looks like you're doing a bit of pillow-shading, that is, shading around the edges of objects without defining a light source.
There are a lot of tutorials out there about drawing light and shadow, so I'll leave it up to you to find them if you need (though I do think this in-depth one is worth a read. But, instead of going straight to tutorials and books, I recommend doing a little bit of practical experimentation first. Get some objects with simple shapes (blocky boxes, spherical balls or oranges, something cylindrical like a tin can) and a lamp, and look at how the shadows on them and the shadows they cast change as you move the light around them. Most complex shapes can be thought of combinations of these basic shapes, so if you can understand how to light those, you can light anything. Also, if you can understand how to show those basic shapes in perspective, you'll have a lot less trouble with more complex things in perspective, including the human body. It seems like seeing things in 3D is another troublesome area for you (going by Ed and the pattern on the arm-thingies of that OC-turned-not-OC drawing), so perhaps you can kill two birds with one stone.
eishiya

Postby Damatris » May 26th, 2015, 3:39 am

Oh wow! Thank you so much. That was really, really useful. I'll definitely be using harder brushes more from now on. And I do need to study light and shadow more in general too.

This is the newest (and only so far... >_>) pic I've made, trying those hard edged brushes. It's WIP still but I kinda hit a point where I don't know what I should do so I decided to take a break. I mean, I know it needs more definition with shadows, I just don't know how. xD I really need to find some good pics for light/shadow study... Anyways, trying to make a realistic(ish) portrait of one of my OCs.

Damatris

Postby eishiya » May 26th, 2015, 8:24 am

Well, I see you've already figured out how to make (overly xP) soft transitions even with a hard brush, so you've got that down :]
It can be hard to step away from softness, because it takes bravery. You have to commit to your shapes and colours, whereas if you make the transitions soft, you feel like you can get away without committing (and sometimes you can). It's a common hurdle artists face, so don't worry if you feel like you're missing something basic. Most artists do/did at some point.

An exercise you can try is using reference with hard lighting, where the shadows are well-defined. Compare the harder lighting on the left to the softer lighting on the right. The softly lit portrait also has a solid sense of form, but the forms and light direction aren't as clear as in the hard-lit portrait. Learning to give even your softly-lit pieces directionality and form will be much easier after you've learned to paint hard lighting. With hard lighting, there's no getting away from the underlying forms and light direction, so it's a great way to practice shadows and forms in general.

As you can see in the ref I linked, hard light doesn't mean all the shadows are sharp (check out the soft shadow on the forehead). Pay attention to such things when you practice. How soft a shadow is informs the viewer of the form of what they're seeing. More rounded objects make softer shadows, sharper turns give harder shadows. Cast shadows from non-fuzzy objects tend to be sharp (at least near the object). What's surprising is that fairly sharp turns occur where one might not expect them, such as the cheeks and chin. Note how the shadow on the chin in those reference photos is relatively sharp even in the softly-lit photo.

Placing good-looking shadows requires understanding the form of the objects you're shading. If you struggle with the forms (that is, the 3D forms), you may want to practice that first. Drawing wireframes is something that helps some artists. If that doesn't work for you, then doing lighting exercises might be more up your alley. It doesn't really matter how you come to understand the world in 3D, as long as you do.
eishiya

Postby Damatris » May 26th, 2015, 12:12 pm

What can I say, it's a talent of mine. x'D

No, but seriously speaking, I know that I have some "commitment issues" about this. I always start really soft and have to basically force myself to add more contrast and such. Those links and tips you've posted are really useful and I'll keep trying to break out of this bad habit of mine. I seriously need to take some time to do some basic shape/shadow studies to get used to it.

Finished that pic too. It's still not what I want it to be but it's good enough for now (even with unfortunate brush choice which made her have fur xDD *puts that on to-avoid list*). I'll try again next time...

Damatris

Postby Damatris » May 27th, 2015, 11:55 am

I described Nidi as a closeted nerd (concerning his enthusiasm about shapeshifting) to a friend and mentioned that Nidi really didn’t appreciate the term. She wanted to see the expression so, here’s a quick sketch. :D
Damatris

Postby Damatris » July 5th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Ryuko Matoi from Kill La Kill. Still figuring this coloring things out.
Damatris

Postby Damatris » July 21st, 2015, 3:27 am

I need to doodle Varric and I'll have my top 3 from DA2. :3 Well, current top 3. I don't know who else will come and weasel into my heart 'cause I'm still in smack middle of act 1.

Also, Death Parade is super cool
Damatris

Postby Tentakustar134 » July 29th, 2015, 7:05 am

it's nice to see that your drawing out a variety of other things though!:)

I'm not too much of a critic but I must say though it's good that your drawing other characters that aren't yours. i say this because it can help you develop your own style even more and you start to pick up a lot of things that you like from these other characters. this is something i've been doing and it's nice to see you doing it! it becomes more of a subconscious thing I think... your not really going to notice it. you just kinda pick up things and add on to your art as you go!
A horror webcomic I'm working on!
Tentakustar134

Postby Damatris » August 1st, 2015, 4:08 am

Oh, thank you so much! Making fan art is fun, lets me express love for other people's creations and I also use it kinda as a stress reliving method. x) It's also really fun to try to break down other's character designs and try to understand what makes them look like they do. I think that's part of the subconscious thing you mentioned, and I agree with that!

I made a new avatar, so here's the full sized pic starring my protagonist Nidi.
Damatris

Postby Damatris » October 9th, 2015, 2:06 am

Long time no see!

Here's a sketch I made for my best friend's OC, Slag

And a bit old-ish print made with etching and aquatint

Also, I really really enjoy making horses so here's a watercolor Fjord :3

Damatris

Postby fancykosher » October 20th, 2015, 9:55 am

water colour is one of the fun-nest mediums to use and explore! although sometimes it needs to be applied on the right paper, cause the paper texture and volume of it matters to the effect or absorption of the water and colour :lol:

Also i thought the Misha Collins portrait was the guy from the Constantine TV series XD
Pansikoser short stories! COME AND READ TO YOUR SILENT HEARTS CONTENT!
fancykosher

Postby Damatris » February 14th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Watercolors really are so much fun! And yeah, getting the right paper is really important. It's easy to ruin a pic by picking the wrong kind. x)

And it's the trench coat, isn't it? xD

Finished this today. I had so much fun working on this. xD Been also practicing on getting good shadows digitally. Gotta say I'm proud how far I've gotten since the start.

It's been a while so I think I'll post a couple more that are a bit older.

I just like doing details... That's pretty much this pic in a nut shell.

Quick warm up pics about my cast. Parody versions of romance novel covers.
ImageImage
Damatris

Postby Fukairi » February 17th, 2016, 11:36 am

That fenris is dope as f, his face is so hard to draw right! (I have tried & I have failed)

What your digital art especially seems to suffer from is that you use very murky tones to do the shadows. As a rule you should never shade with a darker tone of the base colour. Read up on colour theory would be my first suggestion, but the most basics is cold blue-toned colours = shadows & warm yellow-toned colours = lights. Of course this changes depending on the light source and atmosphere of the art piece, but the light source in your paintings is very vague. What I think you could find most useful is some palette exercises, just as something to start you getting more into experimenting with colours

(here's a link to a gallery folder of blank colour palette memes, point of the exercise is of course to only use the colours listed (so no black&whites for outlines etc) http://meme-station.deviantart.com/gall ... lenge-Meme Just use these to draw & shade faces or just the same face and it might open something for you)

I really do think your drawings/technique is very good and the overall colourscheme of your paintings is pleasant to look at, but the shading needs some work imho.
Fukairi

Postby Damatris » February 19th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Thank you for the tips and the link! :)

I actually usually do use bluish/cool colors for shadows, instead of picking a darker version of the base color. Could it be using "multiply" that muddles the colors? I'm still really inexperienced with digital and haven't figured out how to use it to create what I want. (Not that I don't have the same problem with traditional) I remember starting to use multiply as it was mentioned on some tutorial read but maybe it's not the right fit for the methods I use.
Damatris

Next

Return to Creative Showcase