Cover Art Font

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Cover Art Font

Postby AuroraArt » April 19th, 2016, 6:53 pm

I need help with something.

It's about my title logo for "Cryptic Yume". My question is: Is the title font for my comic good or not? If not, should I change it? This question's been on my mind for a while. My goal is to draw in teens and young adults. Here's the title font:

Spoiler! :
Last edited by AuroraArt on April 25th, 2016, 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
AuroraArt

Re: Title Logo

Postby ServerPanda » April 19th, 2016, 7:40 pm

For teens and young adults it seems very much geared for a younger audience. What is the genre and intent behind your comic? I can totally help you better once I know what sort of theme you're going for. :)

On the other hand, I can tell you that adding a 3D effect to text is usually frowned upon for printed work. Some can make it work, but it's more rare than seeing appealing text that is flat. I worked as a graphic designer and the first thing I was told was to never do that to any logo I designed. It took some time for me to realize that they were right, but they were. :) If you ever plan on seeing this printed, especially then.

Yellow is a bright and warm and happy colour. I think that might be adding to the more child like nature of it all.

The font itself is... I'm honestly unsure about it. I think it would depend on how it looked after other changes were made. Maybe add a border around the text as well. A somewhat dark colour for the font with a cream coloured or white border. Not too heavy of a border though or you run the risk of pulling back into the younger look.

I hope this doesn't come across as insanely picky. Or just insane. :'D
ServerPanda

Postby eishiya » April 19th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Could've posted it in your existing thread xP But this is okay too, there's no rule against multiple threads.

I think the logo on your banner looks better than the one in your post. It doesn't have that tacky 3D effect, and instead has a nice, tidy border to add visual interest without looking cluttered. I don't like the colour of that border though - it's so similar in value to the main colour that it just serves to fatten the letters instead of helping them stand out against busy backgrounds.

ServerPanda brought up a lot of other good points and questions so I won't repeat them.
eishiya

Postby apolloonfire » April 19th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Everything that ServerPanda said is on point, so I won't copy/paste all that. While I'm not going to suggest specific colors or styles to you because I haven't read your work and I don't know what kind of tone you're trying to achieve, I can offer some other basic suggestions.

I've often found that fonts typical have subpar kerning by default. Whenever I'm designing a logo or any other major title, I usually find myself adjusting it manually, so you might want to consider doing that. Also adjust your line spacing. Making it tighter unifies the entire design, as well as maximizes the amount of space you have to work with. Also consider adding something to really make the title pop off the page so that it doesn't blend in with the artwork. Lots of professional comics will use drop shadows or draw the logo in 3D to give the effect that it's leaping off the page into the reader's hand. Again, this is just quick observations on what the pros do, and what they do might not fit the tone of what you're trying to achieve.

I took a screengrab of your post and whipped up this as an example (don't actually use this, it's not good, just trying to illustrate what I'm sayin')

Spoiler! :
apolloonfire

Postby eishiya » April 19th, 2016, 8:16 pm

apolloonfire brought up some useful things, I'd like to expand on them:
Kerning, in case you don't know that term, is the spacing between letters. In their example, they adjusted the kerning between R and Y (in CRYPTIC), to make the apparent space between the characters feel consistent. Bad kerning can be distracting, and in particularly bad cases, can even be mistaken for a space between words, or two letters might blend together and read like unrelated letters. (e.g. "click" can look like "dick" if c and l are positioned too closely, "barn" can look like "bam" if r and n are too close together).

Leading (spacing between lines) is important too, but something apolloonfire didn't mention is that if you have too little space, it can make your logo more difficult to read. You need to balance the unifying effect of reduced leading with the effect it has on readability. I feel that in apolloonfire's example, the leading is a little too tight for this particular font.

In addition, both tight kerning and tight spacing can make the logo feel uncomfortable to read, lending it a sense of unease. If you're writing a story where characters feel trapped and watched, tight kerning and leading can help convey that! But if you want something that feels more carefree and happy, you'll want more space between the letters and lines, giving it an "airy" feel.

apolloonfire added a graphical element (an ellipse) to the logo but didn't talk about it. Things like that can help unify a logo and make it feel more unique! So can flourishes on the text, depending on the font. Don't feel confined to using only a font in your logo. Feel free to experiment with shapes and textures, as long as they don't impede legibility and help establish the mood you want.
eishiya

Postby AuroraArt » April 19th, 2016, 8:32 pm

I really appreciate you guys' help. Thank you very much.

I feel bad for not thinking about this earlier. I mean, I'm still learning, you know? But I do accept my mistakes and learn from them. I'll do my best to come up with something new. And without the 3D effect. Lol

Now with the font, I'm trying to send a more family-friendly vibe. The genre for this webcomic is action-adventure. My intent is to send a good message to young people, especially to those struggling to fit in or find out who they are as a person. An inspiration is Bone by Jeff Smith. I want to draw in readers with a cool font that people can remember and say, "Oh! That's Cryptic Yume." And next time, no 3D effects. Just a flat font with maybe some borders or shadow drops. And I might add the ellipse or another shape behind the font. We'll see. I'm working on something for you guys now.

Plus, I don't want people to think I don't know certain things when it comes to Photoshopping and terms (I do know them). I don't want other artists to think, "Oh she doesn't know what she's doing" or "Why is she doing art if she doesn't know this or that?" I'm just a learning and aspiring artist wanting to share something new and send a good message to young people.

But thank you again for the help, guys. I'll try and work on it right now. And I'm sorry if I sounded a bit upset.
Last edited by AuroraArt on April 19th, 2016, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AuroraArt

Postby apolloonfire » April 19th, 2016, 9:03 pm

eishiya wrote: I feel that in apolloonfire's example, the leading is a little too tight for this particular font.

I *DID* warn everyone that it was bad! :D heh heh
apolloonfire

Postby AuroraArt » April 20th, 2016, 12:14 am

apolloonfire wrote:
eishiya wrote: I feel that in apolloonfire's example, the leading is a little too tight for this particular font.

I *DID* warn everyone that it was bad! :D heh heh

Haha! It's all good.

Oh, I made a few changes for the cover. I even changed the font for the Chapter 1: Chosen One text. Here it is:

Spoiler! :
AuroraArt

Postby AuroraArt » April 20th, 2016, 4:26 pm

You can also see my secondary text here, without the black background:

Spoiler! :
CY_Title_Logo.png
CY_Title_Logo.png (198.45 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

Ignore the galaxy background.

I've also changed my signature banner.

What do you guys think of the second font on the Tapastic Page? I'm thinking about using this font for future cover arts (to where there's no black background).
Last edited by AuroraArt on April 25th, 2016, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
AuroraArt

Postby AuroraArt » April 22nd, 2016, 10:09 pm

Bump.
AuroraArt

Postby eishiya » April 22nd, 2016, 11:33 pm

Your thread was still near the top of the forum, there was no need to bump it. Bump your thread when it's fallen off the first page, or when you have something new to post :D Also, even if no one has left feedback, you can still experiment and try things yourself! Plus, your last post was a Tapastic link rather than an image, most people won't click it.

You should address that kerning issue with the letter "Y".
Other than that, you've followed the feedback pretty much to the letter - there's not much to give feedback on, because any feedback on the current logo is really just feedback of the suggestions you received xP If you're not yet satisfied with it or feel like there might be more other directions to try, the best way to get more feedback is to experiment more. Try other ideas, even if you're not sure if they're good. If you can't tell exactly why an idea would be bad, just try it! Perhaps other people can help you figure out what doesn't work.

Overall, the logo doesn't grab me. However, that might be because it looks like a logo for something I'm not interested in - that might not be a bad thing at all, because people into the sort of comic this is might find it more enticing than I do. That said, even they'd probably appreciate some more interesting colours. The border/shadow need not be black, you can use the colour(s) to convey more nuance about the mood of the comic, while still keeping them dark to aid readability against busy backgrounds.
eishiya

Postby AuroraArt » April 25th, 2016, 12:25 am

eishiya wrote:Your thread was still near the top of the forum, there was no need to bump it. Bump your thread when it's fallen off the first page, or when you have something new to post :D Also, even if no one has left feedback, you can still experiment and try things yourself! Plus, your last post was a Tapastic link rather than an image, most people won't click it.

You should address that kerning issue with the letter "Y".
Other than that, you've followed the feedback pretty much to the letter - there's not much to give feedback on, because any feedback on the current logo is really just feedback of the suggestions you received xP If you're not yet satisfied with it or feel like there might be more other directions to try, the best way to get more feedback is to experiment more. Try other ideas, even if you're not sure if they're good. If you can't tell exactly why an idea would be bad, just try it! Perhaps other people can help you figure out what doesn't work.

Overall, the logo doesn't grab me. However, that might be because it looks like a logo for something I'm not interested in - that might not be a bad thing at all, because people into the sort of comic this is might find it more enticing than I do. That said, even they'd probably appreciate some more interesting colours. The border/shadow need not be black, you can use the colour(s) to convey more nuance about the mood of the comic, while still keeping them dark to aid readability against busy backgrounds.

You're right, Lana. Thank you. My mistake. :)

I'll work on the "Y" kerning right away. I actually spotted that and meant to change that. Thanks again.

But yeah, I understand. I'm going to post one more thing, if that's alright. And yeah, all the feedbacks you all have given me are great! Thanks again to help me improve.

Should I just change the logo font? I'm aiming my webcomic to be more teen and young adult. So far, I haven't got any complaints about it. But should I change the font?
AuroraArt

Postby eishiya » April 25th, 2016, 8:46 am

If you think the font fits your comic, then stick to it. Like I said, what appeals to me isn't necessarily what appeals to your target audience. If your work is on the light-hearted side, then I think the font is fine. If it's meant to be a serious work, then it's not very suitable. Most of us here haven't read your comic so we can't assess how well your logo fits it.
eishiya

Postby AuroraArt » April 25th, 2016, 9:37 am

Oh! I should've made that clearer. My comic is more on the light-hearted side, with a few serious moments. But it's mostly light-hearted. That's why I chose this title font for my current and future cover arts.

Another reason why I chose this font was because it represents a bizarre feel. Cryptids are bizarre, right? That's why I chose this font for my title.

I've made a few changes to my title font. I fixed "Y" problem next to the "R" in "Cryptic". Please let me know if this is alright:

Spoiler! :
AuroraArt

Re: Cover Art Font

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » June 15th, 2016, 12:41 pm

I think it's a good font, but it never hurts to update. Keep the same design, but maybe add some texture and make it crisper. I'm thinking of doing the same for my logo. :D
GreenRaptorStudios

Next

Return to Creative Showcase