Comic cover tips

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Comic cover tips

Postby Dandelion__ » December 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

I feel like the cover of my comic is sub par and doesn't really catch the eye too well. So Im open for some constructive criticism. What do you guys think about when making a cover?
Attachments
fat boy mama 2.jpg
(103.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dandelion__

Re: Comic cover tips

Postby eishiya » December 23rd, 2017, 10:21 pm

A dynamic composition is important for a cover, even if it's not action-filled. What are your focal points, and how can you lead the eye to them? An eye-catching cover is one that funnels the viewer's gaze to the important parts.

What are you trying to communicate with the cover? What is the tone you're trying to establish? These things can help you decide what to focus on, and what composition techniques to use.

(If you want specific feedback on your artwork, the Creative Showcase is probably a better place.)
eishiya

Postby Dandelion__ » December 23rd, 2017, 11:05 pm

eishiya wrote:A dynamic composition is important for a cover, even if it's not action-filled. What are your focal points, and how can you lead the eye to them? An eye-catching cover is one that funnels the viewer's gaze to the important parts.

What are you trying to communicate with the cover? What is the tone you're trying to establish? These things can help you decide what to focus on, and what composition techniques to use.

(If you want specific feedback on your artwork, the Creative Showcase is probably a better place.)

Gottcha, I'll move it over there. Thanks for the input.
Dandelion__

Postby StanleyComics » January 31st, 2018, 4:51 pm

In addition to the composition, a cover is best to be coloured in a way to allure a reader. After all, it's the first impression, the first artwork of your comic that is seen, so it must be coloured in a way, that attracts people to it visually. You can do that countless of ways - use different brightness of the same colour to make the picture, then use a contrasting colour (possibly more vibrant) for something that you want to attract attention to. Use a colour pallet you have created, or if you don't have knowledge in colour combos, look up pallets on google.
You can add more dynamics to the figures, the girl with the tank-top's long hair can be swooshed by the wind, the other person can have a more pronounced walking stance. Cats are very bendy, the cat can be looking back, as it's ready to take a step forward or whatever. The person, holding the sheet with the notes can be reading them. You can in a way tell the story via the cover, or like hint to what'll be happening in it. Or you can leave it a complete mystery, but you gotta pull in readers with the characters then. You draw them in ways to showcase what type of person they are, but not only that, you need to highlight what's interesting about them. I mean, that's kinda vague-sounding, but you can use symbolism for that, for instance if a character is a musician and is being screwed over by the music industry, the cover can be that guy, lying in a guitar-shaped coffin or whatever, and his producer spitting in his corpse's face or something.

All in all, my advice is to be maximally creative and aesthetically pleasing as you can, for a cover is the thing that's gong to reel the readers in :D

Hope my reply is at least a little helpful, and keep up the good work :D
StanleyComics

Return to Creative Showcase