[Buff's Art!] Some Sketchy Space Stuff!

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

[Buff's Art!] Some Sketchy Space Stuff!

Postby BuffChan » February 7th, 2018, 1:30 am

Buff's Sketches Image
So I'm pretty new to this site and I'm glad to have a place to show my comic that I've been planning for the last year. I have some sketchy character drawings to show from my planning! Please let me know what you think! and if you have any questions about my sketches or my comic or whatever, I'd love to answer them! :D

On to the art!

So these are my main characters. Their names are Rooni and Pip. Rooni being the Girl, and Pip being the rabbit. They're best friends and they deliver pizza together in space!
I was was heavily inspired by Astro Boy's cute design when I was designing Rooni. I enjoy the simple look that Astro had and I just think Osamu's art has such a nice charm to it! Her final design is a little simpler though, because it was easier for me to remember how to draw her.
Now when I was designing Pip, the only thing I knew for sure, was that I didn't want him to be human, so I went through this sort of brainstorming process of just doodling the cutest weirdest things that might fit with Rooni. Eventually I drew up a little rabbit design that was just perfect! <3 He doesn't speak, but he doesn't have to in order for Rooni to understand him. They really help each other out and look out for one another. :D

The Boss and Andrew Ovii
Interesting thing here, Andrew Ovii (on the right) started out as somewhat of a doodle and I ended up loving him so much that I wanted to make a comic. He's the guy that really got the ball rolling! I absolutely love his design, it's one of my favorites from all the characters I've created. The big thing he's wearing is actually see-through and he's actually a pretty scrawny guy. I thought that was such a silly thing. Poor guy gets the short end of the stick all the time though lol sorry Ovii! ^^;; Maybe I'll make it up for him later.
And as for the boss, I designed him next and I actually went through several ideas before I settled. It took me a few days to decide on how he should look. In fact he was very close to becoming a cat.
but I figured having him look like some weird alien would drive home the whole weird wacky space theme that I was going for. He's also in the promo video I made for my comic, which I'll post in another thread since it's promotional. But yeah he's in the promo video and he's much younger in it. He wears a bow-tie and looks way less grumpy.
------------------------.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.----------------------------------------

I have other characters too, but I don't really want to show them off until they've been introduced in my comic, buuut I'll post just one with a character not yet in the comic because why not.

Do you see why I had to share it now? You can never go wrong with cute uniforms! :lol:
------------------------.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.----------------------------------------
Anyway! Thanks for looking, I'd love to hear what you think!
Stay chill, my dudes 8-) Image
BuffChan

Re: [Buff's Art!] Some Sketchy Space Stuff!

Postby NeuroticSoulGobbler » February 7th, 2018, 5:51 pm

i really like the style! So cute and it reminds me a bit of the older anime style like Astro boy. Love the creative process as well. Great work!
NeuroticSoulGobbler

Postby BuffChan » February 7th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Thank you so much! I'm a fan of older styles, I kind of wanted to bring a refreshing taste to it with my comic. My comic actually has animated parts and will have some color to it and not have it just be black and white. I'm hoping that's enough to make it more interesting than just looking like an old comic. Here's something I did for it, that's gonna be on a page soon. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out so I wanted to share it. It's not 100% perfect, but for me just being a beginner in animation, I suppose not too terrible. I know it needs to be a bit smoother, I'm hoping I'll get better as time goes on.
BuffChan

Postby Honigkuchenpferd » February 24th, 2018, 2:26 pm

I really like your style. It's very cute, upbeat and a bit humorous. ;-) It's also nice to see the sketching and brainstorming that you put into your work.

Great job on the animation too! Just the second half feels a bit clunky to me (were she speeds up and makes a turn).
Honigkuchenpferd

Postby BuffChan » February 27th, 2018, 8:16 am

Honigkuchenpferd wrote:I really like your style. It's very cute, upbeat and a bit humorous. ;-) It's also nice to see the sketching and brainstorming that you put into your work.

Great job on the animation too! Just the second half feels a bit clunky to me (were she speeds up and makes a turn).

Thanks so much!
and yeah, the timing was a bit off and maybe needed a few more frames, I still need practice which I'm hoping to get through making my comic lol I'll improve as I go!
BuffChan

Postby Randumbz » March 22nd, 2018, 9:47 pm

Your art style is cool
Spoiler! :
Randumbz

Postby BuffChan » March 28th, 2018, 12:44 am

Randumbz wrote:Your art style is cool

Thanks! My art style varies depending on the subject, but I'm glad you like the one I use for my comic! The 70's manga style is super charming to me, and it's where a lot of my inspiration comes from for this comic.
BuffChan

Return to Creative Showcase