Improvement and need of more improvement (lol)

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

0800-help-a-noob

Postby TWWK » March 17th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to SmackJeeves (actually I just created this account) and I want to publish some ideas I have for webcomics.

ATM my drawings are pretty crap, I'm a rookie and I have little study and experience in art.

I'll leave here one I just finished and I'll ask for sincere opinions and where I can improve.

(note - it's late night and I'm too sleepy to ink it)
(note 2 - this is an OC)

YNWA
TWWK

Re: 0800-help-a-noob

Postby Yenzala » March 18th, 2018, 1:39 pm

I like him! your style has a fun feel, and I really like the added detail on his belt.
I'd say maybe your line work could be a little neater, but it fits well with the style, and looks to be that way due to the program you're using?
All in all, keep it up! :D
Yenzala

Postby TWWK » March 18th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Yenzala wrote:I like him! your style has a fun feel, and I really like the added detail on his belt.
I'd say maybe your line work could be a little neater, but it fits well with the style, and looks to be that way due to the program you're using?
All in all, keep it up! :D

TY so much! I feel relieved to know that someone liked it.
About the line work stuff, I was just really lazy. It would look better and it would have a few changes if I inked it.
I use Paint Tool SAI for this stuff, I'd use Manga Studio 5 but I can't afford it. Besides, the PTS interface is much easier to understand.
YNWA
TWWK

Postby eishiya » March 18th, 2018, 4:25 pm

For just doing individual illustrations, I don't think there's much functional difference between SAI and MS, so you're fine. MS shines in its comic-specific tools.

I think you should try varying your line weight. It'll help your artwork look more dynamic, give it some volume, and can help the details read more clearly if you use line weight to distinguish major forms from minor details.

The lines/details on the forearm with the watch tangent with the jacket, and don't make much sense. The glove and watch seem to be worn diagonally across the wrist.

An easy but substantial improvement you can make is to not have clothing and other details line up flush with the skin, and instead give the material some volume. You're already doing a little bit of this on the shoes and arm-pad-things, but you can do way more! You can also use it to disambiguate lines that define object boundaries from those that define colour boundaries.
Here's a tracing of one of the feet, applying this (don't mind the thicker lines, that's just the result of having to draw small):
eishiya

Postby TWWK » March 18th, 2018, 6:20 pm

eishiya wrote:For just doing individual illustrations, I don't think there's much functional difference between SAI and MS, so you're fine. MS shines in its comic-specific tools.

I think you should try varying your line weight. It'll help your artwork look more dynamic, give it some volume, and can help the details read more clearly if you use line weight to distinguish major forms from minor details.

The lines/details on the forearm with the watch tangent with the jacket, and don't make much sense. The glove and watch seem to be worn diagonally across the wrist.

An easy but substantial improvement you can make is to not have clothing and other details line up flush with the skin, and instead give the material some volume. You're already doing a little bit of this on the shoes and arm-pad-things, but you can do way more! You can also use it to disambiguate lines that define object boundaries from those that define colour boundaries.
Here's a tracing of one of the feet, applying this (don't mind the thicker lines, that's just the result of having to draw small):

I used to make thick lines everywhere (back when I was at 5-year-old level), and I didn't really think it looked good, but I see what you did there, and you made his right foot look an awful lot better!
I'll take your tips to the heart and everywhere I draw.
I'll make another illustration following your tips and drop it here in a few hours (or in a few months).
YNWA
TWWK

Postby eishiya » March 18th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Think lines everywhere is just as bad as thin lines everywhere. Good line weight is about variation and using the appropriate line weight for whatever it is you're drawing. Some very general tips about where to use what sort of line weight:
Objects with mostly thicker lines appear closer than objects with mostly thinner lines. You can use this to create a sense of 3D space in your drawing even in the absence of other depth cues.
Objects with more diverse line weight appear more important and eye-catching than objects with more uniform line weight. You can use this to lead the viewer's eye through your composition.
Lines that vary in weight throughout look more organic than lines that have a more consistent line weight. You can use this to differentiate organic and inorganic objects.
You can use line weight to convey shadows/light direction even in artwork with no actually drawn shadows, by using thicker lines on the "shaded" side of the object.
Thinner lines feel less substantial than thicker lines, so it's very effective to use thinner lines for surface details like minor texture and colour boundaries, and thicker lines for the important forms.

There's a whole lot you can achieve by being purposeful with your line weight, and hopefully this list can get you started :D
eishiya

Feeling confident about my art

Postby TWWK » April 2nd, 2018, 1:51 pm

Hi, everyone!
A few weeks back I posted a drawing I made, asking for help and where I could improve.
Someone liked it, that made me very happy and looking forward to make more, improve further and just start making the webcomic that I wanna make so bad.
One certain mod gave me good tips; I didn't forget them. I'm in a hurry to finish one drawing and move on to the next, 'cause I'm feeling very thrilled about the whole thing.

I said I was gonna finish one and post there "in a few hours". I couldn't get anything right for a few weeks.
Lately I found this software for building poses that's been handy to me, and that got me through my problems (drawing hands, creating poses, overall human anatomy).
I don't know what's the limit for necroposting here, so I'm just gonna make another topic with those two I made recently, since it's been a few weeks since someone touched that one. (It's already dead anyway.)
The first one is an OC; I was feeling that the poses on my drawings were too dull and monotone, so I decided to try and make something like a page on the second one to see what I could get out of it. Turned out pretty well.
About the line work and certain lazy parts: don't mind them. It'll look better when it's something official.
Feeling very confident about it.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

EDIT 1: I finished another drawing (another OC) and I remembered I could just have edited the post instead of making another one. I tried to go grayscale (need some criticism on that) on the first one. I'm also gonna post an old drawing that's been catching dust on the shelves, it's one of the few that I have ever coloured (need some criticism on that too), as well as it's an alternative version of the aforementioned grayscaled OC.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
Don't mind the outdated and crappy signature, lol

EDIT 2: Figured I'd also throw an old one in. I kinda like this one somehow. It's an alternative version of the OC on my other thread.

Spoiler! :

TWWK wrote:[...]
This is the guy of the other thread.
Spoiler! :
Last edited by TWWK on April 12th, 2018, 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YNWA
TWWK

Re: Feeling confident about my art

Postby Yenzala » April 3rd, 2018, 11:24 am

Heck yeah! this looks really good! I'll be keeping a look out for your comic when you put it up!
Yenzala

Postby TWWK » April 4th, 2018, 10:57 am

Yenzala wrote:Heck yeah! this looks really good! I'll be keeping a look out for your comic when you put it up!

That made my day! It'll probably take a while to come out, but I'll make sure it'll be amazing when it's official!
YNWA
TWWK

Postby Honigkuchenpferd » April 11th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Great work, it's good practice experimenting with poses. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more!
Honigkuchenpferd

Postby MK_Wizard » April 12th, 2018, 8:07 am

I have to admit that I am impressed especially with the shading and smooth lines.
MK_Wizard

Postby TWWK » April 12th, 2018, 10:05 am

Honigkuchenpferd wrote:Great work, it's good practice experimenting with poses. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more!

I am really really confident, so when this week's gone, I'll start making the comic. That'll probably help me with the poses and stuff.

MK_Wizard wrote:I have to admit that I am impressed especially with the shading and smooth lines.

I've always focused on making good lines, and so it worked. Glad you liked it!
YNWA
TWWK

Postby MK_Wizard » April 12th, 2018, 10:47 am

I look forward to more!
MK_Wizard

Postby JakiraJurosawa » May 3rd, 2018, 7:51 pm

You should be proud of it:) It looks really good.

However, I think your drawings need a little more 3D dimensional structure, you know form. This was the very thing that held me back in art for a long time. When you learn form(which is not as easy as it seems:/ at least it wasn’t for me) it doesn’t just make your drawings look better, but it also helps you to draw faster and understand drawing more; it’s very important.

This guy goes over it well: https://youtu.be/yqxPHew5bGQ

But don’t just blow it off like “Oh but this looks so easy!” It takes a while to incorporate into your everyday drawing process:3
Check my webcomic Crimes & Cars! http://crimeandcars.smackjeeves.com/
A story about the schemes and misadventures of a cold trophy-wife, Renée, and a cocky teen scoundrel, Rudy, set in circa 1930s. Stay tuned for all sorts of crazy twists!
JakiraJurosawa

Postby MK_Wizard » May 4th, 2018, 8:13 am

I learned a long time ago that nothing is easy. I am just getting the hang of highlights and shading, but I'm getting there!
MK_Wizard

Next

Return to Creative Showcase