Open Critique on the Classics and Childhood Memories

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Open Critique on the Classics and Childhood Memories

Postby The Santeri » April 6th, 2018, 12:19 pm

I rarely post pre-finished designs, but with my newest and most cherished project, I plan on recreating the atmosphere of retro animes and manga I grew up enjoying in my past and even now. The classic style of the 80's and 90's may look simple but can be hard to replicate. So after many months of mixing all kinds of styles into my own, I finally settled on my official style with my latest manga, Crystal Dawn. I wanted viewers to check my line art sketch and share what they think.

Also, if you want, share your experiences with any vintage anime, manga, music, or even games you enjoyed in your past. I'm always open to a conversation about childhood memories.

1. Kaguya Akiyama (A highly stylized design with aiming for a flexible yet confident pose.
Kaguya Scan.jpg
(178.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet

2. Daisuke Okamoto (A bold stylized design focused on sharp wit and strength.)
Daisuke Scan.jpg
(152.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet

3. Mitsuki Miyazaki/MiMi (An energized stylized design showcasing a perky and energetic personality)
Mitsuki Scan.jpg
(143.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by The Santeri on April 6th, 2018, 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Santeri

Re: Open Critique on the Classics and Childhood Memories

Postby mitchellbravo » April 6th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Did something go wrong when you tried to attach the images? None of them are appearing for me.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby The Santeri » April 6th, 2018, 1:34 pm

wow really? They show perfectly fine for me. I'll have to take a look at the picture links.
The Santeri

Postby AltCat » April 7th, 2018, 6:44 am

Eighties was the first thing I saw in the pictures, (yes I tend to click things before reading..) :( so objective sure reached there.

Some poses, anatomy and perspectives are quite a bit too rough even for those times though, so maybe work on that before doing the real heavy work from them. Great style at core still.
AltCat

Postby The Santeri » April 7th, 2018, 11:20 am

Yeah, the line art is pretty rough around the edges but that's because those are freshly scanned through my printer and I haven't gone over them with Manga Studio yet. But, I try to combine the 70's 80's and 90's into my manga in some way or fashion, yet it always tends to lean heavily on the 80's (maybe because that's my favorite era in anime and manga lol). Series like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Gunbusters, and Macross play a heavy role in the way my characters are designed.

But if you want to see a more crisp and clean design, then I have this one here that I use as a transition page when switching from full color to black and white pages
Transition Page.jpg
(222.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet

And I decided to add my own flavor with the full-color pages and make it a mix of realistic and watercolor.
Photo Shot #1.jpg
(385.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Page Cover.jpg
(373.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I know it will be hard to fully replicate those days of anime and manga, but I'm gonna try my best to make it as authentic and aesthetic as possible.
The Santeri

Postby TWWK » April 7th, 2018, 6:41 pm

I love the style! Daisuke's got that JoJo's feel, perfect for an 80's based comic.
Keep going that way, it looks great.
YNWA
TWWK

Postby The Santeri » April 7th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Thanks! That really means a lot to me! :D
The Santeri

Postby Maeri comics » April 7th, 2018, 10:26 pm

I love the 80's and 90's manga style. Also the cartoon styles of that years, the music, the movies, the objects... I am a retro fan.
When I started drawing I tried with "a lot of shoujo", I mean, flowers, sparkles, big eyes, etc. Even now, my drawings are based on the shojo mangas from 80's-90's
https://pre00.deviantart.net/3a78/th/pre/i/2018/064/d/9/aqteet_cap2_by_maeriangel-dc52vho.jpg
Maeri comics

Postby The Santeri » April 7th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Hey! A fellow retro fan! Yeah, the 80's and 90's had some of the greatest Japanese shows that I still cherish to this day. Your art is pretty great! I use to use the colored pencil palette a while ago but moved towards the 3-toned to 4-toned shading. I'm thinking about bringing it back later on in my manga, but I'm still figuring out how to make it look as good as I can make it.

If anyone else has anything they loved or drew about their childhood shows or games regardless of it being either Japanese or Western, tell me about it (I love Marvel and DC as much as Japanese anime and manga). Maybe I'll even draw more designs and share them on here for some more critiques.
The Santeri

Return to Creative Showcase