My Artwork-Critique Please?

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

My Artwork-Critique Please?

Postby SupermarketRafflesia » November 2nd, 2018, 2:48 pm

Hello. I'm new to this site and was hoping I could get some critique on some of my recent non-comic work, as I feel I haven't been pushing myself as much in the past year or so. I mostly work with pen and ink, in addition to other materials used to apply the ink. I like to draw monsters and animals from the Cambrian period!

I guess I just want critique on anything you see that you think could use some work, so line drawing, shading, form and all those other fundamental things.

Thanks in advance!
SupermarketRafflesia

Re: My Artwork-Critique Please?

Postby K-cho » November 3rd, 2018, 11:14 am

Maybe this is more like editing advice than actual drawing advice, but in the first and last pic, there is lots of white between the black background and the lines of your drawing, which looks messy. Also, the black background is much darker than your actual artwork and it's kind of jarring. How about either increasing the contrast of your art or going with a slightly lighter background color?

All those creatures look cool. :)
K-cho

Postby SupermarketRafflesia » November 5th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Yes, I see what you mean. I'll keep that in mind for future works. Thank you for the response.

Here's some more of my work, as I said, any feedback is appreciated as I want to improve.

Thanks for looking. :)
SupermarketRafflesia

Postby GusCammisa » November 17th, 2018, 10:37 pm

As a fellow monster lover myself, I like what I see:
Shading is good enough.
As a whole, each image is delightfully freakish or suggestive of freakishness. Nice clash of expectations, cute and grotesque--push this way more.
Intentionally or not, your texturing and shading evokes a 12th century wood carving look, which is a rare and valuable thing. Well done, man.

But on to the critique:

Unless you are aggressively pursuing body horror--which is a fantastic goal--your creatures here are too formless. It is difficult for me to infer a solid structure, particularly on the fox and what I assume is a skull-headed guy riding a prehistoric crustacean. This probably comes down to line weight. I have trouble myself with this, but I know that varying your line weight (thicker lines for what is closer to the viewer, thinner for those further away, thicker lines on the outline, thinner lines for details inside the outline, etc) is incredibly useful for conveying form.

There is a stiffness to all of these images that stunts the organic horror you're going for. Work on flow. Aggressively use references of real animal musculature to get some crazy poses going. Stretch, pull, twist, all that good stuff. Get some bold action poses going. if you haven't seen The Thing (1982) then do yourself a huge favor and watch it. You are directly or indirectly channeling Thing-ness here. That's fantastic.

You should be excited. This is a rare style in an era where anime/furry media dominates a lot of the internet. You should bulk up on anatomy studies and references. You will be stunned to see how monstrous these things can be when they have accurate anatomy pushing the hideousness. Nice job, man, keep going. I'm excited myself to see where you take this.
GusCammisa

Return to Creative Showcase