Animation Shenanigans

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

Animation Shenanigans

Postby IDONTKNOWCORP » November 8th, 2018, 2:39 am

OH HEY, it's been a minute since I posted here but am trying to be more involved ever since re-entering comics here!

Post gradschool life means a whole lot more hobby times to combat work related ennui, so I've been making... a lot lately

I just finished this one about a bagel that suddenly is

Does anyone else here do animation?
IDONTKNOWCORP

Re: Animation Shenanigans

Postby eishiya » November 8th, 2018, 7:57 am

Watching that was a good start to my morning, thank you :D I particularly liked the background animation, the style is cohesive with the characters but the lighting, perspective, etc add a lot of volume to the world.

Critiques, take them with a grain of salt since my visual storytelling background is mainly comics:
Around 1:17, the characters swap sides on the screen. This is disorienting and doesn't seem to serve any storytelling purpose.
Around 3:20, you show close-ups of the characters before you establish their relative positions to each other (worse, they contradict the positions shown in the preceding wide shot of them walking). This gives the impression that the shots are disconnected from the preceding shot, I think it would've helped to have a shot of them both in one the same frame and talking before you moved to the close-ups.
Moreover, although you have them facing each other to talk, the cut feels awkward and doesn't immediately read as a conversation, I thought it was a glitch at first. I am not sure why that was, but it might be a combination of the sound cutting in at the exact same time (it tends to feel better when the visual cut happens slightly after the sound, but that's not a topic I'm familiar with), and because the second character is the same size as the first, and their pose touches where the first character was. Changing character sizes between shots leads to a more dynamic feeling and can help with clarity, since it helps the shots look very different.
eishiya

Postby IDONTKNOWCORP » November 8th, 2018, 8:21 pm

That's actually all really helpful critique :D

I've got a really bad track record in comics and animation for character placement continuity between shots and always forget to check for it when I'm laying out a scene.

Thanks so much!
IDONTKNOWCORP

Postby artofjoe » November 8th, 2018, 11:09 pm

IDUNNOCORP! Your animations are the greatest, mah dude. I saw your one with the spoon and the lettuce and it gave me the feels. XD and sometimes I come back and watch it again for the music.
I did a little animation thing earlier this year, it's my first animation and I drew the whole thing with one of those laptop mouse pads that aren't really a mouse (so it has many issues, of course). I'm going to try and work on some bigger projects soon since I got a drawing tablet.
Here is the video:

I'd love to see some more animators on the site. It would even be kinda cool to team up and make a short film or something.
artofjoe

Postby IDONTKNOWCORP » November 8th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Joe!! That was brilliantly odd. I can't believe you did that with a mouse, I started with just a mouse and never had anything that worked that well haha

I really loved the little bit with the frog royal (prince?) hopping along. Honestly, this would be a fantastically bizarre show
IDONTKNOWCORP

Postby artofjoe » November 9th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Thanks for saying that, haha. I might make it into a show sometime, I have been giving it a lot of thought and it is something I have been eagerly working towards, so it will probably happen soon.
artofjoe

Return to Creative Showcase