That finial touch is always missing

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

That finial touch is always missing

Postby zaceron » December 8th, 2018, 11:34 am

As an artist I always feel that I lack that final finishEven moreso when live streaming ....A jaeger defending Bergen, styled in the way of a Viking
https://www.twitch.tv/zaceron

https://www.facebook.com/SandCos/
I do cosplay, streaming, articles and more.
zaceron

Re: That finial touch is always missing

Postby Eightfish » December 16th, 2018, 4:23 am

I don't really understand what you mean by "A jaeger defending Bergen, styled in the way of a Viking" ?

But I do see what you mean by lacking that final finish. I like your art- lots of personality, nice perspective, but it does look a bit like a coloring page.

So adding color might help, but it's not really necessary.
What might make a huge difference though, is adding shadows. They do a lot to make characters look like they belong in a scene. Like you already use solid black as shading in several places, and you drew very clear light sources, so it looks strange to me that there aren't any shadows. Blacken the shelves behind the merchandise, the space behind the counter, underneath each character. Have the shelves darken the people standing behind them. Under people's necks, under their arms, legs etc. And I think it looks best if you don't just darken the edges or draw small pools. Go crazy with the shadows and black out large swatches of the canvas! Maybe that just my personal preference, but I think it would make your scene look much more dramatic and fit the kinda wacky mood of your scene.

Also, you don't have much line width variation. Perhaps you could also try bold-ing the outlines and the more important, shape defining lines of your characters to differentiate them from the background, while using skinnier lines to fill in details.

Also here's a panel I drew with and without shadows. Maybe it'll help illustrate my point? Hopefully.
Eightfish

Postby annaf » December 19th, 2018, 10:19 am

All your lines are the same thickness. Try to vary it up. Use thicker lines to imply more shadow possibly. And yeah, there's no shading in this which can be why it looks so flat. I struggle with the same issue, always feeling like there's something missing from the piece. Your perspective however is fantastic.
annaf

Postby TWWK » December 20th, 2018, 11:59 pm

annaf wrote:All your lines are the same thickness. Try to vary it up. Use thicker lines to imply more shadow possibly. And yeah, there's no shading in this which can be why it looks so flat. I struggle with the same issue, always feeling like there's something missing from the piece. Your perspective however is fantastic.

This is person is right about the bit with line thickness, but I kinda like how it has no shading. Feels rather unique to me!
YNWA
TWWK

Return to Creative Showcase