I need urgent critique on a drawing

Showcase your artistic works here for all to admire and critique. All forms of art are welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to allow individuals to post their artwork for admiration and critique; it is NOT for promoting your comic (see Self-Promotion). It is strictly forbidden to create a topic with the sole purpose of linking to your comic.

I need urgent critique on a drawing

Postby Pidgeot Slayer » January 16th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Private message me for this, I need to win a challange on another site and I need critique to improve a picture, it won't have anything to do with my comic and if you pm me I will ask you some questions that you have to answer then I will show you the picture.

Please tell me ways to improve on it, but in private message becouse I don't want it to be public in case they see it too early.
Pidgeot Slayer

Re: I need urgent critique on a drawing

Postby eishiya » January 16th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Please don't remake your threads, you can bump your existing ones. It's not against the rules, but it's poor etiquette since it's unfair to others who use the forum, and it's annoying for people who already saw your previous thread.

If you can't post your picture in public, you should at least post your questions in this thread, so that people have some idea of what they're getting into. Critiquing takes a lot of effort to begin with, so you should try to make it as easily as possible for people to do it. With how much of a barrier you're putting up, I'd be surprised if anyone decided to help you D: Posting the questions here will also save you time in having to PM them to people, so you can get your critique sooner.
eishiya

Postby Pidgeot Slayer » January 17th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Okay

Never mind about the questions, it's fine
Attachments
IMG_3904.PNG
Cartoony dachshund
(659.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pidgeot Slayer

Postby eishiya » January 18th, 2019, 8:31 am

Have you looked at some reference images? I recommend that you do, paying particular attention to the way the limbs attach. You've drawn them attached the way they should be on a toy - separate pieces sewn onto the surface. On real dogs, the thighs attach rather seamlessly to the torso, the back of the leg forms part of the butt, the front of the leg is within the torso until it finally emerges into the knee. The front legs are similar, the front is a part of the dog's chest, and the back emerges above the elbow. Even though you're apparently going for a stylised look, getting this part of the anatomy right will make it easier to draw and pose, and it can still look very stylised.
Here's a chart that might help, showing the skeleton underneath the skin, so you can see the different parts of the limbs. The different parts map pretty well to human anatomy, and bend in similar ways.

The lighting on the dog's torso is inconsistent with everything else, which appears lit from above-right. The shadow should probably be on the abdomen rather than the back.

At a glance, the dog looks like it only has two limbs. Try changing the positions of the limbs that are in the back, the pose will look much more dynamic and clear.

It's hard to tell whether we're seeing the tongue or an open mouth. If it's the tongue, then having it break out of the silhouette of the face would be good, and it should probably cast a shadow on the face. If it's the mouth, then we should probably see a gap, some teeth, and the top of the mouth should cast a shadow on most of the pink we're seeing.
eishiya

Postby Pidgeot Slayer » January 18th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Okay
Redrawn following the skeleton.
No shading in yet.
Markings with lines VS without the lines
Attachments
IMG_3913.PNG
Without
(212.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3912.PNG
With
(233.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pidgeot Slayer

Postby eishiya » January 18th, 2019, 7:58 pm

That's looking a lot more like a dog! Looks a lot better without the extra lines to me. The tail being so horizontal looks a little unnatural though, I think that looked better like you had it before.

I kept reading the old one as having its tongue out. Perhaps that might be a good way to add some personality to this one? The closed mouth and eye on this one give a look of fear, imo.
eishiya

Postby Pidgeot Slayer » January 19th, 2019, 3:56 am

Shading added
Attachments
IMG_3940.PNG
(334.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pidgeot Slayer

Postby eishiya » January 19th, 2019, 10:37 am

The shading's very hard to see. Don't be afraid to go bold - bigger, darker shadows. Think about the 3D form of the dog - shadows are where the light doesn't reach because the girth of the body blocks it, or some other body part blocks it. Many parts wouldn't get any light!

The tongue looks broken and detached, for two reasons - it's facing backwards rather than forwards, and it starts outside of the really thick outline. Instead, try starting the tongue within the outline (i.e. have a thinner line between it and the brown part of the mouth), and give the tongue a thicker outline to include it within the shape of the dog.

I made a quick edit of the tongue just to clarify what I meant, but then also tossed in a very rough shading suggestion just in case it might also be helpful:
Aside from going for bigger and darker shadows, I used a purplish colour for the shadows, which makes the colours pop a little more. Shading with a darker version of the same hue tends to look a little dull. Changing the hue ("hue-shifting") looks more dynamic.
eishiya

Return to Creative Showcase