Looking for an artist!

Looking to team up on a creative project? Find other creators here.

Looking for an artist!

Postby colortree » July 26th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Hi!

I'm a young aspiring writer, and I'm looking for an artist to work with. I've dreamed of making a web comic all my life, and I think I have some ideas that are interesting. However, I'm not that good at drawing, so I'm looking to do a collab with someone.

Unfortunately, as I'm in high school and still (very) dependant on my parents, I can't pay you. I hope a couple of people will be interested enough in my stories to work with me without a revenue.

I preferably would like someone about my age or older, but that isn't a restriction, if your art is good, then don't worry! And even if you think it isn't good enough, at least try!

There are several ideas I have, but the two main ones are about superheroes and a "romantic" story. I'll be explaining the ideas below.

So, if you are interested, send an e-mail to sofigqv.c@gmail.com, showing your art, and if I think it suits any of the stories I have in mind, we can discuss about the project!
Last edited by colortree on July 28th, 2018, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colortree

Re: Looking for an artist!

Postby eishiya » July 26th, 2018, 3:27 pm

You should include some information about your stories in the posts, because your stories are what will make people want to work with you. What are they about, what are your goals with them, how long will they be? If you have any of the scripts written, you could include a sample to help artists see if they like your writing style. With unpaid collaborations, all parties involved need to really like each other's work and general approach, since there isn't money to smooth things over and make the project worthwhile.
eishiya

Postby colortree » July 26th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'm including brief explanations of the plot:

1) Superheroes begin to understand that despite having good intentions, their actions still have consequences, even if they are saving others. It is more or less what people experience in real life, but at a bigger scale.

There is more to this, of course. I think this story is meant to play with your mind. I want people to empathize with the characters, and to put themselves in their shoes. For example, you can save two million people by sacrificing a hundred. Or you can rescue your family by killing a whole city. Maybe you can save the president of the country by letting three kids be assasinated. The possibilities are endless.

I have a couple ideas for the main characters, however if you want to help in the creative process of the story, you're more than welcome. Still, if you prefer to only draw, it's ok for me as well.

2) A girl has a crush on the new worker of her dad's office, but when she discovers it's her childhood bully, she decides to take revenge in an unusual way.

I'm planning it to be a lighthearted or slice of life story at first, however, as the story develops, I want to touch more serious topics such as bullying or anxiety. I want this story to be realistic, and that people can relate to any of the characters I have in mind.

This story is the one I have developed the most, so I have a main idea of how it is going to develop. Still, if changes are required for the story to be better, I can live with it.
colortree

Postby malephilim » July 29th, 2018, 3:09 pm

That second story sounds kinda interesting how much do you actually have on paper, written and ready to hand to an artist? I'm kinda looking for a project.

I've got some advice from an artist's perspective if you're interested? I've been trolling this forum for years and I've got some perspective on why a lot of writers don't get their projects picked up in here.

A lot of people who post in the Collab forum just wing it with their vague idea and see if anyone will draw for them. As the writer you are THE LEAD on YOUR project. If you want someone to pick up your project, especially for free, you have to work out all the details for how you want to make your project work:
Where are you going to host it?
Do you want to go to print?
How many pages will have to be made?
Do you want to monetize by yourself, through advertising or not at all?
What kind of art style/skill level are you looking for?
What do your main characters look like? Etc.

If you layout the full plan your project is much more likely to be picked up, I notice a lot of artists roll in here wanting something ready made and laying all your cards on the table will give you a better chance.
malephilim

Return to Creative Collaboration