Everybody Theme Sketch! Current theme: The 90's

Looking to team up on a creative project? Find other creators here.

Everybody Theme Sketch! Current theme: The 90's

Postby Applekai13 » June 28th, 2009, 7:58 am

I had planned something like this on the old forums, but needed to revamp the whole idea. Thus instead of a full competition, which would be impractical to run now that I am not a moderator, it's going to just be a plain theme sketch.

Most people would probably know how this works, but if you're a bit confused here's how this goes down.

New Rules as of August 09 After sitting back and seeing how this runs I have decided the time-frame will be up to a maximum of a month, with a minimum of 2 weeks. Essentially, if this thread dies and no one posts for a long time I will move onto the next topic, but no matter how un/popular the theme it will not stretch longer than ONE MONTH, and will not move on before 2 WEEKS have passed.

• Step 1. You sketch something relating to that theme. So for example, if the theme is SPACE, you can draw anything relating to space. The theme is open to interpretation of course, so some people might think of spaceships, or black holes, or even in a more artistically literal sense they may draw a piece that utilized negative space.
  • Step 2. You post it here before the theme month ends. Resize the image to at most 600px wide, or LINK TO IT if you cannot make it smaller.

*note*
    You may 'reply' to another user's post with your own image. HOWEVER, at least attempt to introduce the theme in there somewhere, and please don't start long chains of POINTLESS replies. Of course if the chain is sparking new ideas and still staying in theme it's fine, but lets not go 4chan combos here people.

I WILL NOTIFY USERS IN THIS THREAD WHEN THE THEME CHANGES, AND THE TITLE WILL BE ALTERED. IN ADDITION YOU CAN CHECK THIS FIRST POST FOR PREVIOUS THEMES TO INSPIRE YOU. YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO POST THEM, BUT THERE'S NO REASON WHY YOU CANNOT DO THEM FOR YOURSELF.

That's it. You can post as many times as you like, as this is not a competition. The idea is to get you guys sketching things you wouldn't normally do, and start to get into the habit of playing around. Anyone can post their work here, and in the end, think of it as free publicity. Users are allowed to comment on the image, and give you some advice on where you might need work, or just generally praise you.

The only rule is that you must only post an image from the CURRENT theme. If the last theme was oranges, but this month we are onto tomatoes, you cannot post an orange. I can't really DO anything, but it would be less confusing if you could keep to this. I imagine there will be a sort of grace period for a day or two after the month (which would also make up the Time-differences), but try to keep it in the right time-slot as much as possible.

Considering this is a comic forum, it always struck me as unusual we didn't have these sorts of activities, and so I hope everyone gets into this.
Remember that it is not about the skill level you have, it's about trying something new. Hopefully you'll take these themes and they will inspire you, and help you learn where you need improvement. Don't be afraid to post your work, and even if you decide not to post it, please have a go at home. It's difficult to describe how much help it can try new things, but you will see a marked improvement if you keep it up!

Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Themes.
Robots

PANDAS

FOOD

Pixel Art

Landscapes

Halloween

Superheroes

Role Playing Game Art

Action Scenes

The Dark/Dark theme

Cyber Punk

Monochromatic Art

Transportation

Dragons

Fluffy Things

Spring

Genetic Mutations

Ninjas

Halloween
THIS MONTH'S THEME
Bring Me To Life

Last edited by Applekai13 on December 11th, 2012, 1:34 am, edited 22 times in total.

I'm watching you..... so you better not steal my cookie.

Check out my SKETCHBOOK! -> AppleKai's Sketchbook
Applekai13

Re: Everybody Theme Sketch!

Postby Goldenwolf18 » June 28th, 2009, 9:04 am

THIS IS AWESOME. I'm on it, though I fail at mecha
My SJ Idol : H0lyhandgrenade
PPl whos are awesum : Pyroman, Imi, Sai, Nini-kins
Everyone Else : ILY2
Goldenwolf18

Postby Pyroman » June 28th, 2009, 9:07 am

The good news is, you'll be HEAPS better at it after you've done a few sketches. I didn't even realise I could draw robots, and that was my first sketch up there. Now I've done a few more, I realise it's not as hard as I had thought!
Have fun!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby SuperBiasedMan » June 28th, 2009, 9:19 am

Cool, I like the idea. Although strangely enough I do have to draw a robot for a comic soon, so this will be good practice...
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Seven Rain » June 28th, 2009, 9:20 am

Hmm... This seems fun. :3
Is it okay if it's something drawn prior to the theme being chosen? 'Cuz I already have a cool robot pic...
Seven Rain

Postby Pyroman » June 28th, 2009, 9:28 am

Seven Rain wrote:Hmm... This seems fun. :3
Is it okay if it's something drawn prior to the theme being chosen? 'Cuz I already have a cool robot pic...

You can post it for inspiration, but the idea is to be sketching things now, rather than as a showcase for work, y'know? The idea is to just get people actively drawing, as I know how hard it can be to think of things to draw sometimes.

Long story short:
Yes, but you'd better post another sketch or I'll come at you with my hittin' stick, y'hear!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Seven Rain » June 28th, 2009, 9:29 am

Ten-four on the hittin' stick.

*EDIT*
Aight, done. I decided not to post the other Robot thing, after all this thread's about trying new things, right? ;3
Here's a... Snake... Mecha... Thing...
(Yeah, I know. Too much blood from the arm. @_@)
[NOCRIT]
Seven Rain

Postby granmastern » June 28th, 2009, 11:03 am

SuperBiasedMan wrote:Cool, I like the idea. Although strangely enough I do have to draw a robot for a comic now, so this will be good practice...

fixed >=D

Nice idea =D
Is it just hand drawn sketches via paper? does drawing from a pc count?

cool snakeobot SR xD
granmastern

Postby Seven Rain » June 28th, 2009, 11:07 am

Thanks. ^^
Seven Rain

Postby SuperBiasedMan » June 28th, 2009, 5:57 pm

granmastern wrote:
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Cool, I like the idea. Although strangely enough I do have to draw a robot for a comic now, so this will be good practice...

fixed >=D

Ah, actually I was thinking of a different comic, I didn't think of RoboBUDDY. And I've already drawn that page. Kazuuu's just been too busy to finish it off.

Anyway, here's my attempt. I don't do much sketching but I put extra effort in this, doing preparatory sketches for some reason.

ROBOsteve.jpg
ROBOsteve.jpg (28.77 KiB) Viewed 29195 times
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby Pyroman » June 28th, 2009, 8:31 pm

granmastern wrote:Nice idea =D
Is it just hand drawn sketches via paper? does drawing from a pc count?

You can do it on anything you like. As I said, the idea is just to get people actively drawing.
But yeah, I know a lot of people feel more comfortable sketching digitally, and if that is the case go ahead. In fact, if you normally sketch traditionally, maybe take this as an opportunity to try digital, and vice versa. Be adventurous!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pyroman

Postby Vinuu » June 28th, 2009, 9:21 pm

OH BOY! another excuse for distractions! yess!

robot girl flies around space fixing other robots!
and this is why i dont do scifi
/nocrits/
Vinuu

Postby Sai » June 28th, 2009, 11:41 pm

Awesome thread, Pyro! I was wanting to do something like this as well. XD
Sai

Postby Mr Aids » June 29th, 2009, 2:26 am

[NOCRIT]
kevansevans wrote:
robybang wrote:Also, it's the internet, people always argue over dumb stuff.

Nuh uh
Mr Aids

Postby Seven Rain » June 29th, 2009, 2:48 am

Toasterbot? That's awesome! XD
These are all great, I can already tell I'm gonna love this thread.
Seven Rain

Next

Return to Creative Collaboration