Gimp?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Re: Gimp?

Postby authorloremipsum » May 16th, 2018, 12:54 pm

cloverthegreat wrote:Used it, hated it.

What about it made you hate it so much? (For real, I'd actually like to know because perhaps it's a problem that could be remedied)

Yes the program is expert friendly but it's a strong program and it's free and easy to customize with a little research! For a young artist, linux users, or someone who can't afford expensive programs, it's a good alternative.
authorloremipsum

Postby cloverthegreat » May 17th, 2018, 12:48 pm

authorloremipsum wrote:
cloverthegreat wrote:Used it, hated it.

What about it made you hate it so much? (For real, I'd actually like to know because perhaps it's a problem that could be remedied)

Yes the program is expert friendly but it's a strong program and it's free and easy to customize with a little research! For a young artist, linux users, or someone who can't afford expensive programs, it's a good alternative.

I couldn't get over the interface, I already had programs installed that do the same thing, and there's already plenty of free illustration software that I haven't tried.
cloverthegreat

Postby Cyryl45 » May 19th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Yeah, You are right!
Cyryl45

Postby authorloremipsum » June 14th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I HAVE FOUND A FEW REASONS WORTH KEEPING GIMP
OKAY
1. You can export animated gifs right out of Gimp, instead of having to get animation software or use online resources
2. Really good photo manipulating capabilities that I've found other programs don't have (lookin' at you firealpaca)
3. Tons and TONS of great filters that are super customizeable.

So while I have converted to using another program primarily out of necesity, I still maintain that there's a lot of good uses for Gimp, even if it takes a little learning time. :)
authorloremipsum

Postby AltCat » June 14th, 2018, 6:05 pm

authorloremipsum wrote:I HAVE FOUND A FEW REASONS WORTH KEEPING GIMP
OKAY
1. You can export animated gifs right out of Gimp, instead of having to get animation software or use online resources
2. Really good photo manipulating capabilities that I've found other programs don't have (lookin' at you firealpaca)
3. Tons and TONS of great filters that are super customizeable.

I'd second points 2 and 3. But the animation even as point of export is a bit questionable both to use all in in GIMP as the animation is so cumbersome in the first place, and even as a means to render animation frames from another source, then changing the timings is a monstrous pain for anything like over 10 frames.

So if you like to do simple animations check out Krita.

If gifs are the output of choice for them though, GIMP again makes a great compiment to Kritas animation since it has good automatic optimisations (filters I guess they could be called) for those files.
AltCat

Postby authorloremipsum » June 14th, 2018, 6:53 pm

AltCat wrote:I'd second points 2 and 3. But the animation even as point of export is a bit questionable both to use all in in GIMP as the animation is so cumbersome in the first place, and even as a means to render animation frames from another source, then changing the timings is a monstrous pain for anything like over 10 frames.

Yeah making unique timing in gimp is, Bad, but I specifically meant for Exporting them. Like, Firealpaca can't export gifs as animations, I tried that, but you can export all the frames. Gimp can export as all sorts of cool files, so I guess that's what I meant with number 1, not just exporting gifs, but exporting anything.

And I keep meaning to try Krita lol XD
authorloremipsum

Previous

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques