How long is your average chapter?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Re: How long is your average chapter?

Postby GreenRaptorStudios » August 26th, 2016, 10:57 am

I like to keep mine at 26 pages each, but the first chapter and maybe some future specials are longer.
GreenRaptorStudios

Postby StanleyComics » January 31st, 2018, 5:34 pm

My first chapter is planned to be 22 pages long (I am currently on page 16) and the chapters after that, I hope to make about 40 pages long.
I reaaaaally hope I manage that xD
StanleyComics

Postby MK_Wizard » February 1st, 2018, 7:46 am

On average 20 to 22 pages, but sometimes, I make them shorter or longer.
MK_Wizard

Postby kzuich » February 1st, 2018, 11:39 am

Looking at my current drafts I have lined up- 20-30 pages seems to be about the norm for me.
kzuich

Postby Cy-Comix » February 3rd, 2018, 4:25 pm

In my comic it depends on the content in the chapter it can be short like 6 pages or long like 16 pages.
I normally don't really think about having a certain amount of pages, I try to focus on what i want in the chapter and if i want to continue or end it.
ImageImageImageImage
Cy-Comix

Postby YunikoYokai » February 14th, 2018, 10:51 am

My first chapter is 23 pages, my second is planned to be... 23. Not on purpose, it just depends on what the chapter does. I know I'll have a few very long chapters (going in exess of 50 pages if my written script is anything to go by), but we'll worry about that when we reach it.
YunikoYokai

Postby LeoBlueComics » February 14th, 2018, 11:29 am

Well my chapter 1 will be 31 and all others will be 19-22 depending on artistic view. Really sticking to standard manga format just as a personal preference
LeoBlueComics

Postby Ulta » February 14th, 2018, 1:43 pm

My only completed chapter was 40 pages exactly. And judging by how Chapter 1 is going, it will probably be around that length, maybe more. It depends on how many pages are needed to complete the 'goal' of that chapter.
Ulta

Postby wr3h » August 6th, 2018, 11:38 am

My first chapter was 25 pages! Chapter 2 will most likely either have the same amount or more :o
wr3h

Postby crawlation » August 7th, 2018, 4:21 am

i dont make chapters, but episodes, like mangas. i think it is better to do a complete control..... think there is one plot that continue in it. but you can cut it to some episodes by several climax, parts or ect. it can make you upload it more comfying, and ending a episode on cliff hanger moment would make readers being curious about next part. truly i think about over 20 or 30 for a line of plot, but i cut episode as this way. but truly its not persuable cause i upload each page when i finish it......
crawlation

Postby MissElaney » September 4th, 2018, 10:11 am

I aim to keep my chapters inside of 28 pages so that if I did a print run I could print each chapter in 32 pages (counting front and back covers/inside covers). It' s just an arbitrary thing I'd like to do as a nod to printed comics that tend to release in 32-page books (although usually for them there's a decent chunk of ads). When I write a chapter I basically limit myself to 4-5 scenes, since usually I can get that scene over with inside of 5 pages themselves.
MissElaney

Postby Paulie Blade » September 4th, 2018, 10:59 am

Cy-Comix wrote:In my comic it depends on the content in the chapter it can be short like 6 pages or long like 16 pages.
I normally don't really think about having a certain amount of pages, I try to focus on what i want in the chapter and if i want to continue or end it.

I'd say this is the way to go. I wish the length of my chapters was story-driven, but I keep aiming for a possible print release one day, so I'm trying to design my chapters to be 25-ish pages long. It's not THAT difficult and I WOULDN'T say that this is an unnatural, non-organic division, but still... I fear that one day I will stumble upon a story that will call for a ten page chapter and I'll be in deep shit 8-)
Paulie Blade

Postby Strelok_401 » September 27th, 2018, 9:00 am

It depends on what I want to tell. Sometimes I'll go for a single page, sometimes 4-5 pages will be enough, but I usually use 12-16 pages.

I know, I know, so far I haven't published anything, but that's because I'm highly unsatisfied with how it looks ; I'll try to rework some stuff and see what I can come up with.
Strelok_401

Previous

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques