What does Manga Studio do way better than Photoshop?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

What does Manga Studio do way better than Photoshop?

Postby darkenergy » August 12th, 2015, 9:01 pm

I've had this program sitting on my computer for ages, and I go back crawling to Photoshop every time like the little bitch I am because I am so, so much more used to Photoshop.

So, I figured it would help to ask, why MS over PS? What in particular does it do that makes it learning when I have a decade+ on PS already?

darkenergy

Re: What does Manga Studio do way better than Photoshop?

Postby xox1melly1xox » August 12th, 2015, 11:05 pm

Hmmm....?

Are you talking about Manga Studio 4 or 5?
I'll be just referencing both of them comparing to CS5.

Manga Studio 4
Streamlines comic making by:
Panel creation
Generates focus lines and tones
Special Rulers
Materials
Sharper line art with less configuration needed
Save styles for text for comics, like one for Normal, Serious, SFX, etc.
Story Editor

Manga Studio 5
3d human models for referencing
Special rulers
Panel creation
Materials
Vector layers for brushes
Line art width correction
Story Editor

But honestly speaking, it really all depends on what work flow you like. All Manga Studio does is make it more easier to do certain things that you can do in PS by tweaking some stuff and importing materials/plug ins from other sources.

Most of the stuff I mentioned are pretty much optional or not really needed depending on what you do. Coloring can be easier if you are used to Sai Paint Tool or something similar, but that also depends on your preference.

That being said, the text tool isn't that great in either 4 or 5. You would have to convert it into a vector and use mesh transform to make text more dramatic.
xox1melly1xox

Postby kotor » August 13th, 2015, 4:12 am

For me, the biggest benefit to MS (aside from its low price) is that it's set up for touch screen use. This makes a big different as I draw on a Surface Pro, so it helps a lot that MS has nice big buttons that react different depending on whether I touch them with a finger or a pen.

I do find that for technical stuff, changing hues etc, I prefer PS, but it's a nightmare to use on the tiny screen of my device, so I tend to stick with MS.

But ultimately if you're comfortable in PS, there's no need to feel like you're missing out for not using MS. Heck, I still draw Magipunk in Macromedia Flash 8 (which is over ten years old at this point) because I'm comfortable with the workflow and I don't want to have to learn a new version. So do what works best for you.
kotor

Postby darkenergy » August 14th, 2015, 1:13 pm

xox1melly1xox wrote:Hmmm....?

Are you talking about Manga Studio 4 or 5?
I'll be just referencing both of them comparing to CS5.

Manga Studio 4
Panel creation
Generates focus lines and tones
Special Rulers
Materials
Story Editor

Manga Studio 5
3d human models for referencing
Special rulers
Panel creation
Materials
Vector layers for brushes
Line art width correction
Story Editor

But honestly speaking, it really all depends on what work flow you like. All Manga Studio does is make it more easier to do certain things that you can do in PS by tweaking some stuff and importing materials/plug ins from other sources.

Most of the stuff I mentioned are pretty much optional or not really needed depending on what you do. Coloring can be easier if you are used to Sai Paint Tool or something similar, but that also depends on your preference.

That being said, the text tool isn't that great in either 4 or 5. You would have to convert it into a vector and use mesh transform to make text more dramatic.

Thank you! Super helpful and detailed :D
darkenergy

Postby darkenergy » August 14th, 2015, 1:14 pm

kotor wrote:For me, the biggest benefit to MS (aside from its low price) is that it's set up for touch screen use. This makes a big different as I draw on a Surface Pro, so it helps a lot that MS has nice big buttons that react different depending on whether I touch them with a finger or a pen.

I do find that for technical stuff, changing hues etc, I prefer PS, but it's a nightmare to use on the tiny screen of my device, so I tend to stick with MS.

But ultimately if you're comfortable in PS, there's no need to feel like you're missing out for not using MS. Heck, I still draw Magipunk in Macromedia Flash 8 (which is over ten years old at this point) because I'm comfortable with the workflow and I don't want to have to learn a new version. So do what works best for you.

Ooo thanks. (I got PS back when I had a uni discount, but yeah that price tag is murder.)

Haha, the problem is I don't know if it's better because I haven't given it a chance. But yeah it would be easier to stick with PS.
darkenergy

Postby Nunumi » September 8th, 2016, 7:40 pm

OMG!! I luuuuuv Manga Studio (or Clip Studio as for now).
Here is (as for me) what CPS does best:

1st - The feel of pen is much closer to a real pencil.
2nd - Colours blend naturally when using the painting tools.
3rd - Special rulers are cool (perspective ruler is a blessing form heaven!!)
4th - You can use BOTH vector art and raster art. Vector is awesome for inking because you can edit each single stroke you made on a drawing!
5th - The animation timeline works much better. You even have lightable tools for those doing animation.
6th - Toning is much easier to do.
7th - Tones of tools especially made for creating comics.
8th - Much more but I gotta shut up now or you'll think I've been hired from Celsys to sell you the software… O__o

I've been working in this software full time for 2 years now. For both for my personal work and professional storyboarding work. It did beat Photoshop in every aspect. Except maybe for making automatic action scripts…. Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have questions!
What colour is the light that guides you?

Nunumi

Postby serenitysquirrel » October 23rd, 2016, 5:01 pm

Personally, I love MS due to the text bubbles. It also has built in stabilizers rather than needing something like Lazy Nozami. The poser comes in handy too. Oh! And when I blend the paints it doesn't end up looking like weird rainbow mud.
serenitysquirrel

Postby eishiya » October 23rd, 2016, 5:24 pm

serenitysquirrel wrote:And when I blend the paints it doesn't end up looking like weird rainbow mud.

You can fix the rainbow mud problem in Photoshop by going to Edit > Color Settings and checking the "Blend RGB Colors Using Gamma" checkbox (leave the gamma at 1.0). If you don't see this option near the bottom, click the "More Options" button. Comparison (top is the ugly default):
Spoiler! :

This option will affect your brush and layer blending, but not smudging, gradients between two opaque colours, and blurring. Of course, Photoshop being Photoshop, you can fix that too:
Spoiler! :
You'll need to create a custom RGB color profile. You only need it for doing blending, so if you want to discard or change the profile after you're done, you can, and it will not destroy your blended colours.
Edit -> Convert to Profile, choose Custom RGB, and leave everything at the default except Gamma, change that to 1.0.
You could create it and set it as your default color profile for new documents so you don't have to do it again. It's possible Photoshop offers a color profile like this by default, I haven't looked at them all xP

Personally, I just use the "Blend RGB Colors Using Gamma" option without a custom profile because it covers the vast majority of my painting, and in small quantities (e.g. the occasional softening-smudge) muddiness isn't a problem. For artists who use those tools a lot and who'd prefer to work in PS because they don't like MS or other programs for some reason, changing their colour profile is worthwhile though.

The default RGB profile has gamma 2.2 or something, hence the ugly. That gamma is appropriate for working with photos for print, but it's not so appropriate for most other kinds of image work.

I don't care to convince anyone to use PS over MS (as this thread shows, MS has plenty of good features PS doesn't), I just don't think it's fair to hold this against it when it's entirely controllable. What can be held against it is that it's such a ridonkulously complicated program that consequently ends up poorly-suited to just about everyone without major options tweaking.
eishiya

Postby haaayes » January 16th, 2017, 10:08 am

I use Manga Studio (now Clip Studio Paint) for almost everything. It just feels generally way more user-friendly, and the pencil and pen tools are super convenient and ready to use. They automatically make my drawing better somehow. However, I still like to colour in Photoshop if I'm drawing for print, because Clip Studio Paint still doesn't have a CMYK mode :evil:

Also this is probably just my computer but Manga/Clip Studio has always run way faster than PS and almost never crashes. :)
haaayes

Postby kzuich » May 14th, 2017, 8:24 am

In my experience, MS is just way more streamlined toward making comics, and it is dedicated to that purpose. Also the pen tools are really excellent.

I just find MS to be way more user friendly. It is good at making comics- that's all it tries to be is a comic-making software, and I personally think it's the best at that.
kzuich

Postby thelordbaeron » July 20th, 2017, 9:37 am

Eishiya really summed up my experience with PS vs MS. I was using MS for a little while, and with enough tweaks and some macros I was able to really achieve the same things in PS that I get in MS. However, in MS it's just a lot easier and right out in the open. I feel PS is far more versatile, but MS is definitely easier to use and more focused on comic producing. To also back up Haayes, I freaking love the pen tools and I'll be an open-and-honest lame guy and admit the stabilization and rulers help me a lot, especially as I'm a total newbie.

Hope this helped.
thelordbaeron

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques