Color comics made traditonally

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Color comics made traditonally

Postby Arison » February 11th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Hello, there. I am looking for comics that are done traditionally. I am mainly looking for comics done with watercolor, colored pencil and copic markers.

I am doing research on these materials in particular because I wish to do my own comic but don't know if it will be worth the expense. I work with these medias. I found that watercolors are very good for loose work, but not good for traveling. I work a lot and some days can only do art during my lunch breaks. The drying times and amount of water don't work for my work place. Colored pencil is my go to media, but I would be spending a lot of time covering areas. 40-60 hours sadly doesn't work for my schedule. Copics are quick and travel easily, but the bill they run is expensive.

I have managed to find two artist that fit what I am aiming for. Finding someone that does a comic in copics is the hardest.

Watercolor examples
Spoiler! :
Cedric Babouche = Babouche's Website
3o-s-knight = Far-Out-Mantic
Qlock = It's a hard life

Colored pencil examples
Spoiler! :
Melanie Gillman = As the Crow Flies
Silverlunarwing = Shinka: The last Evee
Loverofpiggies = Aftertale

Just unsure of what media it is. But going to go with marker.
Spoiler! :
PabloKitsune = Colorblind

Combination of watercolor and pencil
Spoiler! :
JillyFoo = Demon Eater

Markers
Spoiler! :
MitchellBravo = Loudera
Dedasaur = The Flower and The Nose
thexeternal = Nightwalker
MasterLoki = Girl Boy

Mixed media From digital to watercolor to pencil to marker.
Spoiler! :
Oly-RRR = Copstories
Blix and Faye = D O O R
Cross4 = The Soverigncy
Last edited by Arison on May 6th, 2016, 3:46 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Arison

Re: Comics made traditonally

Postby eishiya » February 11th, 2016, 1:46 pm

It sounds like you're looking for colour comics, you might want to specify that in your topic title. B&W traditional comics are much easier to find (typically inks only), and probably not as useful to you, but you're likely to get lots of suggestions about them given your current wording.
eishiya

Re: Comics made traditonally

Postby Arison » February 11th, 2016, 2:02 pm

eishiya wrote:It sounds like you're looking for colour comics, you might want to specify that in your topic title. B&W traditional comics are much easier to find (typically inks only), and probably not as useful to you, but you're likely to get lots of suggestions about them given your current wording.

I will specify that. Thank you.
Arison

Re: Color comics made traditonally

Postby Captain Ghost » February 11th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Color Blind
It's a Hard Life
Ireth and Vespera Fable not 100% colour but still decided to include it
Penelope's Far-Out-Mantic
Quite Interesting Quest
Memories
Aftertale
Shinka the Last Eevee
Demon Eater

Not sure if they're quite what you're looking for but figured I'd share...
A pretty ranged variety as far as style + use of colours go, I think, some much more limited than others...

In any case, good luck with your research~
Captain Ghost

Postby Arison » February 11th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Captain Ghost wrote:Color Blind
It's a Hard Life
Ireth and Vespera Fable not 100% colour but still decided to include it
Penelope's Far-Out-Mantic
Quite Interesting Quest
Memories
Aftertale
Shinka the Last Eevee
Demon Eater

Not sure if they're quite what you're looking for but figured I'd share...
A pretty ranged variety as far as style + use of colours go, I think, some much more limited than others...

In any case, good luck with your research~

These are fantastic and greatly appreciated. Thank you :3
Arison

Postby Bloomer » February 11th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Well if you feel that copic markers are the best as far as time, you could always try out spectrum noir markers, they were suggested to me a while back as a cheaper alternative. I bought a pack to test out myself and they blend pretty well, the only thing that sucks is they have a small marker tip rather than a brush tip, so small details can be a little difficult to colour in and it also feels like you have less control over the boldness of the colour because of it... if that makes sense. But for a marker set where you can get the entire kit for $300+ dollars, versus a marker set where you can only get 1 of 4 sets for $400 to $500+, those problems aren't much of a setback.

As far as comics, this is all I got.

D 0 0 R

Which goes between digital and watercolour.
Last edited by Bloomer on February 11th, 2016, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomer

Postby mitchellbravo » February 11th, 2016, 6:12 pm

I use Prismacolor instead of Copic because of the expense. I have a few Copic I use for skin tones since those seem to run out the fastest and you can replace the copic inks, so it seemed like a worthwhile investment. I also use Prismacolor brand colored pencils, though so far this chapter I've been just using markers.

just markers:
Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

markers & colored pencils:
Spoiler! :

several years ago, I gave watercolor a whirl in a mixed-media attempt. results varied, this is one of hte better pages IMO:
Spoiler! :
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Arison » February 11th, 2016, 8:55 pm

mitchellbravo wrote:I use Prismacolor instead of Copic because of the expense. I have a few Copic I use for skin tones since those seem to run out the fastest and you can replace the copic inks, so it seemed like a worthwhile investment. I also use Prismacolor brand colored pencils, though so far this chapter I've been just using markers.

just markers:
Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

markers & colored pencils:
Spoiler! :

several years ago, I gave watercolor a whirl in a mixed-media attempt. results varied, this is one of hte better pages IMO:
Spoiler! :

I have to say when I opened the spoiler, my jaw dropped that is exactly what I am looking for as a good example. I am adding you to the list above. I will place you under markers.
Arison

Postby mitchellbravo » February 11th, 2016, 9:15 pm

Thanks, I'm very flattered by your comment. :) I wish you a lot of success with your artwork.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby Bloomer » February 11th, 2016, 11:43 pm

Remembered another one, it's coloured with marker, but I'm not sure what brand.

The Flower and The Nose

Good luck with your comic!
Bloomer

Postby Arison » February 12th, 2016, 9:49 am

Bloomer wrote:Remembered another one, it's coloured with marker, but I'm not sure what brand.

The Flower and The Nose

Good luck with your comic!

Ahh this comic is adorable. Thank you for showing me. The marker examples are the hardest for me to find.
Arison

Postby Oly-RRR » February 13th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Not to blow my own trumpet but - Cop Stories (not everything in the archive is traditional since I like both traditional and digital, some examples of traditional below).

Copic markers (plus a couple of stray Promarkers, they look similar and are cheaper but non-refillable, which is actually pricier in the long run I think), Coloursoft and Watercolour pencils, bottom panel is on coloured paper
Spoiler! :

Same materials but no coloured paper (I use an A3-sized sketchbook for this)
Spoiler! :

Ditto but A4, different paper
Spoiler! :

Arison wrote:I am doing research on these materials in particular because I wish to do my own comic but don't know if it will be worth the expense. I work with these medias. I found that watercolors are very good for loose work, but not good for traveling. I work a lot and some days can only do art during my lunch breaks. The drying times and amount of water don't work for my work place. Colored pencil is my go to media, but I would be spending a lot of time covering areas. 40-60 hours sadly doesn't work for my schedule. Copics are quick and travel easily, but the bill they run is expensive.

I think if you want to stick to traditional with limited time and limited workspace Copics are still your best bet. You DON'T have to buy their entire range, they have a lot of tones that look very similar so pick and choose - maybe a small set plus separate markers, maybe just separate markers (their sets tend to be slightly cheaper per marker but are either too limited or too repetitive), like even three warm colours, three cold colours, three skin tones and three greys will give you a really good start. Plus refill ink if you're sure you're going to use that tone.

Combining markers with pencils should end up even more cost-effective - get medium tones in marker, go lighter or darker in pencil! Some white gouache/acrylic might come in handy too. I hope this helps. :)
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby Arison » February 13th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:[
I think if you want to stick to traditional with limited time and limited workspace Copics are still your best bet. You DON'T have to buy their entire range, they have a lot of tones that look very similar so pick and choose - maybe a small set plus separate markers, maybe just separate markers (their sets tend to be slightly cheaper per marker but are either too limited or too repetitive), like even three warm colours, three cold colours, three skin tones and three greys will give you a really good start. Plus refill ink if you're sure you're going to use that tone.

Combining markers with pencils should end up even more cost-effective - get medium tones in marker, go lighter or darker in pencil! Some white gouache/acrylic might come in handy too. I hope this helps. :)

Okay first off. These pages are amazing. I am getting wonderful examples and they are all super encouraging. I adore your colored pencil pages. Your web comic from first glance is the deepest comic I have every seen. You really know your sh*t.
OMG 50 shades of Cray! I am reading this all from the beginning.
Thank you so much for the comic and the advice on materials.
Arison

Postby thexeternal » February 13th, 2016, 11:25 pm

Good ol' Oly, glad to see you're still AWESOME AS ALWAYS!! <3

I work with copic markers almost exclusively right now and I really enjoy it. Oly makes a lot of good points about getting around their costliness. Copics are definitely an investment, but they're well worth it if you do it right. It's a medium that you really have to "pick it and stick with it". If you're going to experiment, buy Copic Ciao. They are much cheaper per marker, but they are not compatible with the rest of the Copic system, meaning that they are not refillable or replaceable in any way.

Part of the awesomeness of using Copic is the fact that every time your marker runs dry or you wear out your nib, you don't have to cough up $7 for a new one (COUGHCOUGH PRISMACOLOR COUGHCOUGH). Spend a little extra on the ink refills, and that investment pays for itself big time. I didn't have the money to do Nightwalker in full color (or the PATIENCE, let's be honest), so I chose to do it in grayscale. I have almost a full set of Cool Grays (C4 and C6 are the only two I haven't found the need for yet) and refills for all but one of them, and I've only had to buy a new nib for one of them.

So, in short, Copic seems pricey, but if you do it right and stick with it, it's not really that bad. Also, there's a great website if you're going to buy a lot of Copic stuff all at once - http://www.merriartist.com

Just don't use it to buy one or two things at a time, because the shipping is ridiculous unless you spend over a certain amount.

(also, if you decide to read Nightwalker, I'm really sorry about the quality of the first half of chapter 1. I was still experimenting with what media I wanted to use so it's a huge gross mess :( )
thexeternal

Postby Arison » February 14th, 2016, 8:53 am

thexeternal wrote:Good ol' Oly, glad to see you're still AWESOME AS ALWAYS!! <3

I work with copic markers almost exclusively right now and I really enjoy it. Oly makes a lot of good points about getting around their costliness. Copics are definitely an investment, but they're well worth it if you do it right. It's a medium that you really have to "pick it and stick with it". If you're going to experiment, buy Copic Ciao. They are much cheaper per marker, but they are not compatible with the rest of the Copic system, meaning that they are not refillable or replaceable in any way.

Copic Ciaos are refillable and have replaceable parts. I have a handful of those. I do refill them and change their nibs. I really hope you didn't throw some away :0 oh noes.

thexeternal wrote:Part of the awesomeness of using Copic is the fact that every time your marker runs dry or you wear out your nib, you don't have to cough up $7 for a new one (COUGHCOUGH PRISMACOLOR COUGHCOUGH). Spend a little extra on the ink refills, and that investment pays for itself big time. I didn't have the money to do Nightwalker in full color (or the PATIENCE, let's be honest), so I chose to do it in grayscale. I have almost a full set of Cool Grays (C4 and C6 are the only two I haven't found the need for yet) and refills for all but one of them, and I've only had to buy a new nib for one of them.

So, in short, Copic seems pricey, but if you do it right and stick with it, it's not really that bad. Also, there's a great website if you're going to buy a lot of Copic stuff all at once - http://www.merriartist.com

Just don't use it to buy one or two things at a time, because the shipping is ridiculous unless you spend over a certain amount.

(also, if you decide to read Nightwalker, I'm really sorry about the quality of the first half of chapter 1. I was still experimenting with what media I wanted to use so it's a huge gross mess :( )

That was very informative! It is also wonderful to find a comic done in all copics. I will add you to the list and check out Nightwalker :)
Arison

Next

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques