Color comics made traditonally

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Re: Color comics made traditonally

Postby thexeternal » February 14th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Arison wrote:Copic Ciaos are refillable and have replaceable parts. I have a handful of those. I do refill them and change their nibs. I really hope you didn't throw some away :0 oh noes.

I actually never bothered buying Ciaos because when I was first considering buying them, the people at the art store told me just what I told you. That they weren't compatible with the copic system. Hmmm SMELLS LIKE A PLOY FOR MONEY but that's okay I'm actually really happy with my full sized collection. But maybe now that I know they ARE compatible with the rest of the stuff, I will pick up a few...
thexeternal

Postby Oly-RRR » February 16th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Arison wrote:Okay first off. These pages are amazing. I am getting wonderful examples and they are all super encouraging. I adore your colored pencil pages. Your web comic from first glance is the deepest comic I have every seen. You really know your sh*t.
OMG 50 shades of Cray! I am reading this all from the beginning.
Thank you so much for the comic and the advice on materials.

Aww thank you!! :mrgreen: (Late reply is late, had a work deadline.)

thexeternal wrote:Good ol' Oly, glad to see you're still AWESOME AS ALWAYS!! <3

Getting closer to updating again, with real life slowing me down as usual! :lol: Anyway, that's more for Your day in webcomics... :D

Arison wrote:Copic Ciaos are refillable and have replaceable parts. I have a handful of those. I do refill them and change their nibs. I really hope you didn't throw some away :0 oh noes.

Seconded! Sometimes it's hard to find some particular refill (but choosing refill ink with the closest number often works as well) but generally Ciao, Sketch and Classic Copics are only different in the shape of the marker (and sometimes nibs). And I suppose it depends on prices of the particular place you use but I find that it makes more sense to replace the entire marker than the nib - nibs in local art supply places cost ALMOST AS MUCH AS MARKERS. :|
My problem would rock your world. - Sam Tyler
Oly-RRR

Postby MasterLoki » May 1st, 2016, 1:20 am

Hi,

I'm a copic only comic artist. I am able to manage a low bill on my marker usage by sticking to a small amount of markers I use consistently (approximately 20) that I bought refills for and the rest of my marker colors I only use for very specific instances. Another tip if you are starting out, if there is a Blick art store near you, they have 40-50% off one item during the holidays and that includes copics. I bought my first two sets utilizing that.

I have done grayscale comics and full colored comics in copics. I ended up picking copics due to its ability to be mobile and because my ability to use traditional is stronger than my digital capacity. Here are just two samples of work I've done entirely in copic and gel pen. However, all comics I have done in my profile have been done using the same method. If you have any questions on my process, I would be more than happy to answer!

A Place Like Home - http://spacesbetween.smackjeeves.com/co ... 2063/pg-3/

Until the Last Dog Dies - lastdogdies.com
MasterLoki

Postby Cross4 » May 3rd, 2016, 6:56 pm

actually work in all of these in my webcomic. pencil, copic, pen and ink, and watercolor. stick to the copic's for people because you can blend them smoothly, and watercolor for the background initially because i wanted more color but dont have the patience for photoshop there. then more because i started to enjoy the watercolor look.

here are some single images that show the technique. if you want to see it in sequential form click on my sig

Cross4

Postby Arison » May 11th, 2016, 7:52 am

Spoiler! :
MasterLoki wrote:Hi,

I'm a copic only comic artist. I am able to manage a low bill on my marker usage by sticking to a small amount of markers I use consistently (approximately 20) that I bought refills for and the rest of my marker colors I only use for very specific instances. Another tip if you are starting out, if there is a Blick art store near you, they have 40-50% off one item during the holidays and that includes copics. I bought my first two sets utilizing that.

I have done grayscale comics and full colored comics in copics. I ended up picking copics due to its ability to be mobile and because my ability to use traditional is stronger than my digital capacity. Here are just two samples of work I've done entirely in copic and gel pen. However, all comics I have done in my profile have been done using the same method. If you have any questions on my process, I would be more than happy to answer!

A Place Like Home - http://spacesbetween.smackjeeves.com/co ... 2063/pg-3/

Until the Last Dog Dies - lastdogdies.com

Both of these beatiful comics were added to the list. :D :D

Spoiler! :
Cross4 wrote:actually work in all of these in my webcomic. pencil, copic, pen and ink, and watercolor. stick to the copic's for people because you can blend them smoothly, and watercolor for the background initially because i wanted more color but dont have the patience for photoshop there. then more because i started to enjoy the watercolor look.

here are some single images that show the technique. if you want to see it in sequential form click on my sig

Arison

Previous

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques