Not wanting to do a comic anymore...

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Not wanting to do a comic anymore...

Postby jazselup101 » August 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Not sure where to put this at, but I have a comic called Custody. It's a revamp of my old comic, "Special" Care. I drew it for a year or so until I asked for a review. Let's say that my comic wasn't too good at the time and I thought it was true. Every time I re-read the story, I cringe because it's bad. So, I thought, "Hey, let me make a revamp of this and make it better." I did that, I been writing the story for at least 3 years I think. And I wanted to reach to a point where I start the comic already, which I did. And I was hyped to get started on it. After writing the story for so long, I finally get to do it. And right now, I'm just like, "Ugh, I kinda don't wanna do this now..."

I don't know, maybe it's because I wanna try to make the comic better by making it look good. Or maybe I waited too long? I did remember having fun doing this comic, but now it's just....kinda whatever. Maybe I was younger and didn't really care on how it's gonna look like. Now, I'm all like, "GOTTA MAKE THIS HALF DECENT!" I also wanna do this story that I been wanting to do in my mind since forever, I really want to focus on that though because that's more exciting to me as of right now.

So, I'm not sure what to do. I wanna keep going because I did all that work and I don't wanna waste that. Plus, I just started. But, I wanna do other ideas as well like the one I mentioned and I'm not having much as fun than before
jazselup101

Re: Not wanting to do a comic anymore...

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » August 4th, 2016, 3:59 pm

I think a major question you need to ask yourself is "Who am I making these comics for?"
Ultimately, I think the answer should be for yourself.

What's hard about progressing in both terms of drawing and story-telling, it's easy to resent earlier work because you've improved and it no longer reflects your best, or even sometimes average ability. It's hard not to feel ashamed of it sometimes, but hey, you are your own worst critic. Perhaps a change in perspective would help you move forward, something like "Look how much I've improved!" over "Man, I used to suck." It's also too easy to feel like you lack any kind of skill because we often feel a sense of over ambition, planning out shots or scenes we've never drawn before, or are not very skilled at doing. The best way to become better is often to just go for it because you'll never improve if you avoid the task at hand.

I too have encountered the problem of writing out a comic for too long and then when it's ready for drawing, I feel I've been doing it too long and no longer desire to produce the comic. It's often caused by new ideas for another series coming up or from a noticeable jump in skill with story telling. Something I'm trying right now is an issue-to-issue styled comic where I have basic plot ideas jotted down, but I don't flesh them out until it comes time to draw said issue. Doing it this way allows a lot of room for change such as the order things happen, which characters can appear or disappear, and even allows for time-skipping to somewhat redesign a character. Also in issue-to-issue, sometimes the art style may change entirely for just one issue.
It's pretty relaxed structure in that you can change and flesh it out as you go. My only rule is that I cannot go back and change a previous issue with some exceptions such as a spelling error.

What's your point, Squirrel?
My point is, it seems like your style of going about making comics isn't working out for you and maybe you should try something a little different. Here are some suggestions in a quick, bullet format.

Problem: I already know exactly how this comic will lay out, and I've known for several years. The plot no longer interests me.
Suggestion: Jot down plot ideas, somewhat chronicalize them, and flesh them out (including character, and location designs) when needed.

Problem: My art doesn't look as nice at the beginning as it does now.
Suggestion: I like to keep moving forward to see the progression, but try redrawing an old page or two and see if the change is really worth while. A change in your own perspective is often all you need.

Problem: I want my comic to succeed, so I'm putting a load of effort into it, but it's exhausting and I'm afraid I'm not good enough to make it look decent.
Suggestion: If you're making the comic for free, and also alone, then it really ought to be just for you. Almost no one reaches what they themselves would consider a master so it's important to accept that not every drawing is going to look great, be fun, or be easy. The only way to improve is to practice. Even if you're at a professional studio level, you are still practicing.

Problem: I have more than one fleshed out comic idea at the same time.
Suggestion: If your comics are segregated into something like chapters or issues, why not work on both comics and swap them out every section.
Comic A - Chapter 1
Comic B - Issue 1
Comic A - Chapter 2
Comic B - Issue 2

Problem: A critic reviewed my comic and they didn't like it.
Suggestion: Most of the time I've had my comics reviewed, it was by someone with questionable credibility. Consider their level of experience, how in-depth the review is, the kind of media they enjoy, and as much as I'd like to pretend it doesn't matter, their age.
For example, a reviewer might give you a 0/10 instead of an omit (if they still would feel the need to include it) on plot if you run a gag-a-day styled comic where plot is not, and never was intended to be, a focus. Ultimately, don't worry about it too much. If you attempt to please every critic, you will please none of them.

Hope any of this helps.
Squirreltastic-Blue

Re: Not wanting to do a comic anymore...

Postby haaayes » January 17th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Man, I know how this feels.

I quit my old comic and started a new one, and it was the best choice I ever made. Like you, I felt like I'd progressed a lot since doing my first strip, and I wanted to start something new that I was more sure of. I say go for it - if it's the new projects that excite you, if you're itching to do them, if working on them feels like fun in a way that drawing your old strip just doesn't any more, then make the change.

If I were you, though, I'd definitely keep them together, maybe on the same site, or at least linking to each other. That way you can bring your old readers with you and all that time building an audience won't have been wasted.
haaayes

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques