Disclaimer? for mini-comic

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Disclaimer? for mini-comic

Postby ReverieJC » June 23rd, 2017, 6:26 pm

Hello!
Not sure where to post this. My question is do I need to include a disclaimer with my comic? Or is it totally unnecessary?
I *think* considering some of the content, it is probably not needed, and realistically who would sue over resemblance to anyone living or dead etc.
Thanks!
JC
ReverieJC

Re: Disclaimer? for mini-comic

Postby eishiya » June 23rd, 2017, 6:48 pm

There is no law or site rule requiring it. Those disclaimers exist to discourage libel lawsuits, but they don't really have any legal power. If you have characters that are clearly meant to resemble real people and the depictions are libellous (unfairly negative), the disclaimer won't help.

Movies and TV have a lot to lose by being sued, and there is a precedent for one such lawsuit, which is the reason they include those disclaimers at all. People are a lot more lawsuit-happy when it comes to films because those companies have a lot of money and a lot of reach and social influence. I don't think this should be a big worry for a comic.

In conclusion, I think you should only have the "all characters are fiction" disclaimer if your comic has events and characters that could be easily understood as references to real people and events, but aren't intended to be references.
eishiya

Re: Disclaimer? for mini-comic

Postby ReverieJC » June 24th, 2017, 7:33 am

perfect, thanks!
ReverieJC

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques