Drawing Dynamic poses

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Drawing Dynamic poses

Postby xX-DragonFairy-Xx » December 10th, 2017, 11:47 am

So i consider myself relatively decent at drawing natural-looking poses, but I'm still stuck on pretty flat poses.

I practice gesture drawing when I can, and if I find a really clear reference I can draw well from reference, but if there isn't an exact reference I end up getting nowhere with difficult poses, especially ones with foreshortening.

Does anyone have any thoughts about drawing difficult poses, techniques you use for foreshortening or even a thought process when planning out a pose?
xX-DragonFairy-Xx

Re: Drawing Dynamic poses

Postby eishiya » December 10th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Your thread title says "dynamic", but your thread body says "difficult", so I'm not sure which you're looking for advice on. Simple poses can be dynamic, not all difficult poses are dynamic, and non-dynamic poses aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Foreshortening
Foreshortening requires that you understand the body in 3D, instead of thinking of it as a paper cut-out. If you struggle with foreshortening, practice first by drawing cylinders and rectangular boxes, perhaps in vaguely humanoid shapes, just to help you build up a sense for how perspective distorts the shapes, and to help you think in 3D. Then, study some of the important landmarks on the body, as these will be very useful for conveying the perspective. Study yourself in the mirror or study a 3D model to figure out the relationships between the features in perspective.

If you feel intimidated by foreshortening, just remember that there's a good chance you're actually already drawing foreshortening without realizing it! Every time you draw a person from the side, you're foreshortening their shoulders. Every time you draw a face from the front, you're foreshortening their nose. Every time you draw a fist, you're drawing some parts of the fingers foreshortened. All the body parts you feel less familiar with work the same way when it comes to foreshortening.

Dynamic Poses
I don't draw a lot of action scenes so very dynamic poses aren't something I have much experience with, so take this with a grain of salt.
I find it helps a lot to simplify the body into swooshy gentle curves that fit well into the composition. If that means ignoring some joints or features, that's often fine - accurate anatomy often gets in the way of dynamism. Think of this kind of simplification as the lineart equivalent of motion blur in photography. It also helps a lot when the various swooshes converge on/diverge from the focal point of the panel - when the eye is able to move rapidly along the drawing, the drawing feels more dynamic.
Do not underestimate the efficacy of things like dragging clothing/hair to convey motion, as well. Even animators, working with literal motion, find this stuff very important to conveying movement. Such things help convey a bit of the "history" of the movement instead of just where the body is at the current moment.
Also, foreshortening is important, so definitely try to get comfortable with that first. Foreshortening helps a lot with positioning the body along swooshes, and generally looks more interesting, because it's mostly stiff poses that involve all the limbs being perpendicular to the camera.
eishiya

Postby collective awe » December 11th, 2017, 7:14 am

I help myself a lot with my Body Ku model.
It's useful for checking the body in every angle.

It also helps a lot the management of the "direction" of the page. Because you can watch and move your model in a lot of useful point of views.
https://bodykun.com/products/body-kun-models-for-artists
Our work is dedicated to those who believe in love, those who tirelessly pursue happiness.
collective awe

Postby MariaQuinn » January 30th, 2018, 5:21 am

I'm not that good at drawing but still I complete many of my drawings with great ease using basic shapes. I'm into reading comics and I find some of its creatures very interesting and I try to draw them. Although I'm still not able to draw each and every character but most of them. I would definitely suggest you to try with basic shapes and with shapes also practice overlapping the shapes. For example keeping a sphere in front of a cylinder, this will help you learn the concept of depth and this might troubleshoot your problem related to foreshortening in drawings. Would definitely like to have a feedback if this helped you. Best of Luck.
MariaQuinn

Postby MK_Wizard » January 30th, 2018, 8:25 am

There are plenty of sites on the web that show you how for free. That and it takes a lot of practice.
MK_Wizard

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques