Bios for supporting characters?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Bios for supporting characters?

Postby jazselup101 » May 13th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Hello there! I was just wondering about something about writing about my characters. I basically have full bios for my main characters already. But should I do bios for my supporting characters too? I mean, they are mostly royalty but they won't show up as much in the story. Only when needed.
jazselup101

Re: Bios for supporting characters?

Postby eishiya » May 13th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Is it important for readers to remember them? Do you expect readers to need a refresher on those characters? If the answer to both questions is "yes", then I think it's worth adding their bios. Otherwise, it's just clutter in my opinion.
eishiya

Postby MK_Wizard » May 14th, 2018, 7:17 am

I used to think that they weren't necessary, but then I realised that they are part of the fun.
MK_Wizard

Postby authorloremipsum » May 14th, 2018, 11:23 am

I find bios useful for keeping characters straight when writing, whether or not you use them for other people to see is up to you, but I think you should write some bios for these characters to better develop them.
Even minor characters should feel fully developed and real, as opposed to props that walk and talk, they should have their own stories and quirks and whatnot, writing a bio might help with this!
Your call though, and I wish you the best of luck. :D
authorloremipsum

Postby Shard » May 14th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Another thing you could do in lieu of a massive bio (the size of the main character bios) is make bite-sized bios for the minor characters. You can then split them onto different pages (thanks to Smackjeeves' "Custom Pages" feature, you can have more than one page for bios!) or keep them on the same one, whichever you feel would be best, and keep information in the bite-sized bios to a minimum. A picture of them so readers know "ah, this is that character" without having to scour through archives for the few times they appeared, and probably at most a paragraph that explains what their name is, who they are in the story, and why it's a good idea to remember them. Not in those words, but... well, lemme put a little example behind a spoiler tag for you.

Spoiler! :

Something like that not only helps emphasize that this is a supporting character (assuming it's smaller than the main character's bio anyway), but also helps remind the audience "this is what they look like, and here's what their purpose is in the story". You can have as detailed a bio as you want in your own files, but keeping it small and simple is a neat little meta-way of helping show the audience who you should be focusing on.
ImageImage
Shard

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » May 14th, 2018, 6:15 pm

I found my crowd really liked them, especially when about characters that basically just appear in the background. That is to say, no one cared about it until I stopped updating it and now I try to keep it up to date. I have a lot of messy coding which is composed to have a separate hidden page for each character. They link to the same page if it's the same character appearing in a different story unless stated otherwise though.
It looks kind of nice, but by golly, the upkeep on it is terrifying.

My general thoughts on it are, it's nice!
Though, I sometimes question why I have it beyond the main characters.

Here's a link to my character page if you'd like to take a gander at the mess.
http://nickpolarbear.smackjeeves.com/characters/
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby Oly-RRR » May 15th, 2018, 1:16 pm

If you mean putting together bios for your own references when writing I think the answer is almost always yes. Even if the character doesn't do a lot in the story it's good to have them fleshed out, having some life inp,ied besides the role they served in the story.

If you mean doing bios for readers' reference I don't think it's necessary but it's nice having a cast page to refer to when reading, just to be reminded of a name or something, especially if a comic is updating slowly. (And I really should get to it as well... :? )
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby kayotics » May 15th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:If you mean putting together bios for your own references when writing I think the answer is almost always yes. Even if the character doesn't do a lot in the story it's good to have them fleshed out, having some life inp,ied besides the role they served in the story.

I know this is good practice but there's so many side characters that I just make up on the spot, haha.

Honestly this thread has kinda pushed me to try and make character bios for reader's reference. I think side characters are good to have a little reference for, just to say who they are and what their relationship is to the main character.
kayotics

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » May 15th, 2018, 2:13 pm

kayotics wrote:Honestly this thread has kinda pushed me to try and make character bios for reader's reference.

And be prepared to be called out for every little inconsistency you might make.
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby mitchellbravo » May 15th, 2018, 3:03 pm

In the 9 years I've had this comic on the internet, I think I can count the number of readers who have checked out the cast page on my fingers and toes. Possibly borrowing someone else's hand, but that's really it. So if you'd enjoy making it, go ahead, but don't feel like it's a "must."
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques