How do you know if your pacing is wrong?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

How do you know if your pacing is wrong?

Postby jonufele » November 26th, 2018, 1:11 pm

I tried do a one-shot comic, but after 40 pages, nothing relevant happened yet.
I'm assuming my pacing is terribly wrong, I already lost my motivation to continue because in my head this one-shot will take some 60 billion pages to be completed :p
jonufele

Re: How do you know if your pacing is wrong?

Postby eishiya » November 26th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Does it feel wrong? 40 pages of build-up can work, but it can also feel terribly slow, depending on what exactly is happening. Even if "nothing happens", you can still be building intrigue, introducing the world, etc. If literally nothing happens (i.e. the reader doesn't learn anything interesting, doesn't get several reasons to want to keep reading, etc), then yeah, you've messed up.

Before making your pages, you should thumbnail them, so that you can look at the comic as a whole before you commit to drawing everything out. Comics are made and broken at the thumbnail stage, everything after is just polish.
eishiya

Postby jonufele » November 26th, 2018, 1:43 pm

What do you mean "thumbnail them"?
jonufele

Postby eishiya » November 26th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Plan your pages as small sketches that have the layout and content of each page. That way you can quickly iterate on different possibilities for each page or scene, and you can plan out entire scenes, chapters, or even comics and check the pacing, flow, composition, etc before committing to any time-consuming drawings.

Edit: Here's an example of thumbnails vs finished pages from Suihira, to give you an idea. Thumbnails can be even less detailed. They can also focus on different things; for example, in mine I often like to block in the major dark areas to get a better feel for the composition.
eishiya

Postby annaf » November 27th, 2018, 12:12 am

This is where it helps to have someone else look at it; someone who will give proper feedback and criticisms. It's hard to properly judge your own work when you've spent so much time with it. A fresh eye and mind is always best.
annaf

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques