Which Drawing Applications are Used for Comic Pages?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Which Drawing Applications are Used for Comic Pages?

Postby OnyxtheRevived » December 26th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Hello, I'm a new member here. I plan to create a webcomic myself, but it will be a while before I get to start.
I just got a drawing tablet for Christmas, and I'm expecting to get a MacBook Pro sometime later. As a former user of MS Paint, I want to make sure that I get the most reasonable application for making my comic pages.

What art application do you use to make your pages and why do you find it useful?
OnyxtheRevived

Re: Which Drawing Applications are Used for Comic Pages?

Postby eishiya » December 26th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Clip Studio Paint (CSP) is a very common one used by comic artists, it has a lot of great comic-specific tools, and still gets lots of updates. It's also good for non-comic work. It's available on MacOS and Windows, and costs $50 (though it goes on sale every now and then).

For comics specifically, it probably doesn't get any better than CSP, and I say that as someone who chooses not to use it (I use Photoshop because I'm used to it and because I also do a lot of non-comic/illustration work too). If you're going to use anything else, it'll probably be because you want something cheaper, in which case, the free drawing program sticky may be helpful.
Of the free ones, I recommend Krita, it's a pretty full-featured drawing/painting program. Its text tool isn't as nice as Photoshop's and CSP's are, which can make lettering a hassle, but they'll probably fix that in the near future.
eishiya

Postby redandblack64 » December 26th, 2018, 5:02 pm

I can vouch for Krita, since I've been using it for the past 4 years, and it keeps getting better and better in spite of it being free. I tried out the lettering and vector tools, and it was pretty buggy, though it gets the job done. It also comes with a comics manager that only the most expensive version of Clip Studio has.

Clip Studio is the best choice, though, since it's specifically designed for making and publishing comics. If you want to print or publish your comic, the EX version has a comics manager for that. Otherwise, the PRO version is all that you need.
redandblack64

Postby StanleyComics » December 26th, 2018, 5:28 pm

I use Adobe Photoshop, mostly because I've gotten used to it. With practice, you can do just about anything on that software.
The layering system is cool, the blending modes, masking, sketching, brushes, effects, filters, everything!
StanleyComics

Postby TheJGamer » December 26th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Oh hey, a former MS Paint user! =) I'd say it depends on whether you want to go F2P or if you don't mind shelling out some money for making comics. If you don't mind spending money, I'll go with what eishiya and redandblack64 said and recommend Clip Studio Paint. I saw some screenshots of it and it looks like an awesome program!

If you don't want to spend money, however, I personally recommend Medibang Paint. I've been using it for around 1-2 years before switching to traditional art. It gets the job done for digital art, and also has a built-in panel creator tool that works wonders for comic-making! The text tool is terrible, though, so lettering will be a pain. =/ GIMP is also a pretty nice drawing tool; I use it for sprite comics. I personally like the coloring options, text tools and effects that GIMP offers. (colorize, threshold, motion blur, etc.)

In the end, though, it all depends on which programs suit your needs the most. Good luck on your artistic endeavors!
Just some kid who likes to draw and sprite. Thinking of starting a comic and actually sticking with it.
TheJGamer

Postby OnyxtheRevived » December 29th, 2018, 8:49 pm

eishiya wrote:Clip Studio Paint (CSP) is a very common one used by comic artists, it has a lot of great comic-specific tools, and still gets lots of updates. It's also good for non-comic work. It's available on MacOS and Windows, and costs $50 (though it goes on sale every now and then).

For comics specifically, it probably doesn't get any better than CSP, and I say that as someone who chooses not to use it (I use Photoshop because I'm used to it and because I also do a lot of non-comic/illustration work too). If you're going to use anything else, it'll probably be because you want something cheaper, in which case, the free drawing program sticky may be helpful.
Of the free ones, I recommend Krita, it's a pretty full-featured drawing/painting program. Its text tool isn't as nice as Photoshop's and CSP's are, which can make lettering a hassle, but they'll probably fix that in the near future.

Okay, cool. I've heard of Clip Studio Paint and I've been contemplating on getting it.
I've never heard of Krita, but I'll check it out.

Thanks!
OnyxtheRevived

Postby OnyxtheRevived » December 29th, 2018, 8:59 pm

redandblack64 wrote:I can vouch for Krita, since I've been using it for the past 4 years, and it keeps getting better and better in spite of it being free. I tried out the lettering and vector tools, and it was pretty buggy, though it gets the job done. It also comes with a comics manager that only the most expensive version of Clip Studio has.

Clip Studio is the best choice, though, since it's specifically designed for making and publishing comics. If you want to print or publish your comic, the EX version has a comics manager for that. Otherwise, the PRO version is all that you need.

Cool! You're the second person to recommend Krita. I've never heard of it until now, I'll definitely check it out!

I've heard great things about Clip Studio Paint in general, I hope I can save up for it someday.
OnyxtheRevived

Postby OnyxtheRevived » December 29th, 2018, 9:05 pm

StanleyComics wrote:I use Adobe Photoshop, mostly because I've gotten used to it. With practice, you can do just about anything on that software.
The layering system is cool, the blending modes, masking, sketching, brushes, effects, filters, everything!

That's cool. I've dabbled in Photoshop as well, but I'm not completely comfortable with it yet.
OnyxtheRevived

Postby OnyxtheRevived » December 29th, 2018, 9:36 pm

TheJGamer wrote:Oh hey, a former MS Paint user! =) I'd say it depends on whether you want to go F2P or if you don't mind shelling out some money for making comics. If you don't mind spending money, I'll go with what eishiya and redandblack64 said and recommend Clip Studio Paint. I saw some screenshots of it and it looks like an awesome program!

If you don't want to spend money, however, I personally recommend Medibang Paint. I've been using it for around 1-2 years before switching to traditional art. It gets the job done for digital art, and also has a built-in panel creator tool that works wonders for comic-making! The text tool is terrible, though, so lettering will be a pain. =/ GIMP is also a pretty nice drawing tool; I use it for sprite comics. I personally like the coloring options, text tools and effects that GIMP offers. (colorize, threshold, motion blur, etc.)

In the end, though, it all depends on which programs suit your needs the most. Good luck on your artistic endeavors!

Okay! Clip Studio Paint is getting a lot of positive recognition, I'll definitely consider it when I can afford it.
I haven't heard of Medibang Paint, but I'll check it out. It has text issues, too? I was recommended to Krita (another free software), which was warned to also have text issues.
I've heard of GIMP. I think I came across it while using a Mac computer. I'll do more research on it, too.

Thanks!
OnyxtheRevived

Postby Eightfish » December 30th, 2018, 3:35 am

I see a few people recommending Krita but for me it lagged awfully on my laptop. It seems to not run so well on computers that are not so good.
If you end up having the same problem I found that turning down the autosaving helped a bit but honestly I think you should just bite the bullet and buy (or otherwise acquire) PhotoShop or SAI or some other paid drawing program. After I got used to it the better blending and general increased functionality made my art noticeably better.
Eightfish

Postby ShaRose49 » December 30th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I use Medibang Paint! It’s maybe not the highest quality out there, but it’s just fine, and it’s free. It’s also intended for making comics and has lots of fonts and helpful things you can download, also has an automatic panel creation setting
ShaRose49

Postby NeoGenkei » January 4th, 2019, 1:00 am

I definitely recommend Autodesk sketchbook! It's free and has a great simple interface and pretty close to the feeling of drawing on paper. It gave me an easy transition to digital. I like having no extra files for brushes and they're easy to access I think the animation section is also free now.

I also use clip studio paint and adobe cc for coloring animations and using effects, but I always use sketchbook flipbook to board and sketch for personal stuff etc.

Hope this helps!
NeoGenkei

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques