Tips on coloring?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Tips on coloring?

Postby santijpg » July 2nd, 2019, 12:47 pm

Im not sure if this should go in there but im gonna put it here because im alsot nto sure if i should put it somewhere else. Anyways i don´t really like how i color but im not totally sure of what i don´t like, so i would like some specific criticism or tips. The program i use is firealpaca.
Examples under the spoiler.
Spoiler! :
ImageImage
santijpg

Re: Tips on coloring?

Postby StanleyComics » July 2nd, 2019, 1:45 pm

Well, it's a flat colour, and that rarely looks good. The colours must really go together for flat colouring to grab a viewer. If you try some shading and some dynamic lighting, you'll see how much the colouring will improve. It'll give it more layers and nuance. Also, studying colour theory helps a lot. It's important to know and have a feeling and taste of how colours work together. Hope this helps!
StanleyComics

Postby ryoshockwave » July 3rd, 2019, 3:06 am

Firealpaca has layers, right? Your gonna wanna take advantage of this when coloring digitally, especially layer modes such as "multiply" so your black lines can't be colored over.

How about this simple technique for bold lines and flat shading?

But as the other comment said, you will need more practice studying light and contrast to really help your coloring style develop. Also, try muting the your backgrounds. At present they are very solid and distracting, almost overpowering the foreground characters which you definitely don't want. Once you get the hang of layers you can just use a fill that goes behind everything, then tone down the color's opacity so it's not so bold. You might also want to start drawing more detailed backgrounds, too.
ryoshockwave

Postby santijpg » July 3rd, 2019, 8:58 pm

I see.
santijpg

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques