Design and layout of this cover

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Design and layout of this cover

Postby Pidgeot Slayer » July 14th, 2019, 5:12 am

This is just a quick messy sketch of some comic I am making and I want to see what I need to fix up in the layout
Don't comment about the art style or hoe badly it's drawn
The big black scribbles are just placeholders for trees.
I just want to know what I should fix or add in the layout
(I won't be posting the comic until it's at least on page 20 or later)
https://postimg.cc/T5PFdhJK
Pidgeot Slayer

Re: Design and layout of this cover

Postby Nekoturny » July 14th, 2019, 3:07 pm

The subject, that is the Pokemon, is too centered. Try putting it nearer to the bottom of the page, and leaving some empty sky or forest above.
Also don't forget to leave room for text if you want any. If there is going to be text, include it in your rough draft.
On a technical note, the dimensions for covers on smackjeeves are 3:4. The picture you supplied is too square, if you used those dimensions parts of it would be cut off.
Nekoturny

Re: Design and layout of this cover

Postby jellyfishin » July 14th, 2019, 10:10 pm

I agree with the poster above.

Also, I noticed that you have a volcano in the background, and I assume it also has some importance based on the way the character is staring at it. If the volcano is important, then I recommend that it should appear somewhere near the center of the cover (something similar to the way this mountain photo was taken), because it's currently way too smooshed up there at the top of the cover.
jellyfishin

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques