Are sprite sheets allowed?

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Are sprite sheets allowed?

Postby Pidgeot Slayer » October 10th, 2019, 2:03 am

Why the frock was I asking if I could use sprites?

I hate mario!
Last edited by Pidgeot Slayer on October 17th, 2019, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pidgeot Slayer

Re: Are sprite sheets allowed?

Postby eishiya » October 10th, 2019, 7:21 am

(Your first link requires a log-in to view.)

It's questionably legal and against the ToS since it's using artwork that isn't yours and not always in a very transformative way, but sprite comics have such a long history that SJ tends to turn a blind eye to them, and there are many of them on the site.

However, you may want to steer clear of major Nintendo properties like Mario characters, as Nintendo are much more proactive than other companies at shutting down derivative works. I'm not sure whether they go after sprite comics, but they do go after barely-known fan games, so :/ If you choose to use them, just be prepared that if Nintendo learns of it, they'll probably send a C&D.
eishiya

Postby Pidgeot Slayer » October 10th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Is there a way to see if I was hacked becouse I have no idea how that first link got there and I certainly never put it there. It was a different link someone else changed it to that quote link :/
Pidgeot Slayer

Postby Squirreltastic-Blue » October 11th, 2019, 5:19 pm

I'm a little curious whose rules you're trying to follow.
Do you mean would normal publishers be interested in sprites? If so, the answer is likely a hard no. Especially if they're not original.
If you're doing this a self-indulgent hobby, then you mostly set the rules.
Squirreltastic-Blue

Postby jellyfishin » October 11th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Pidgeot Slayer wrote:I am completely bad at making sprites but i have found a site full of sprites sheets where I think you can take characters and use them for somthing.
Are sprite sheets allowed to be used for comics if I give credit to them?

I underlined the part of your post that is a bit of an issue. Unless the sprite creator provides a license that allows you to use the sprites or the image is established as public domain, always go for a hard "no" with whatever images you find on the internet.

Building on eiysha's comment: Even with any website's ToS notwithstanding, the laws and circumstances regarding derivative works has a tendency to vary between countries and even companies. It wouldn't be wise to put work into something if it's only going to be taken down (or potentially get you into legal trouble).

Pidgeot Slayer wrote:Is there a way to see if I was hacked becouse I have no idea how that first link got there and I certainly never put it there. It was a different link someone else changed it to that quote link :/

Maybe you just copy-pasted a wrong link after looking into someone's request for a story editor? (The Quotev website is known for hosting stories, and the link leads to a post requesting for a story editor). You could always go back into the post and change the link out.
jellyfishin

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques