Tutorials, Resources etc.

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Re: Tutorials, Resources etc.

Postby pwii » January 30th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Also, http://www.superheronation.com/ has LOADS of writing advice. Some of it's just for Superhero comics, but most of it you can apply to any sort of writing, like novels. Just story-making advice in general.
Shoprocks wrote:Surely it's no coincidence that the more I talk about the characters, the gayer they get.

Interterrestrial wrote:...and I can tell you strange things that you probably never wanted to know like the fact that I have a can of beets in my closet and I didn't put it there
pwii

Postby Rapidkirby3k » February 3rd, 2011, 11:19 pm

pwii wrote:Also, http://www.superheronation.com/ has LOADS of writing advice. Some of it's just for Superhero comics, but most of it you can apply to any sort of writing, like novels. Just story-making advice in general.

The website is actually quite useful for writing, which is why I went ahead and printed several articles to help me out. :D
Rapidkirby3k

Postby Cytheria » June 10th, 2011, 1:43 am

SuperBiasedMan wrote:Tutorials:
Here are 6 books by Andrew Loomis, well worth the read and exercises and I'm sure any artist who's read them will agreeRolex Replica Watches
Read them

On the subject of colour theory stripedwine seems to be some kind of obsessive genius, but she's got a few of the basics in these sites:
Absolute basics, explaining the terms to describe colour
An explanation of the colour wheel and choosing colours to work well together
A short outlinign of contrast and dominance in palettes
A much more in depth exploration of colour and it's effects (it's a site for web designers, but the principles still apply)

Thanks for all of these ones. I have previously just gleaned stuff and inspiration from deviantart, not very substantial though.
Cytheria

Postby Nikkinoodles » June 25th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Just to make people aware I tried to visit the link to Gibson's writing tutorials a little while ago, from both here and a saved bookmark but it doesn't seem to be working. There's just a page from DreamHost to say the sites on hold or something...
Eishiya said: wrote:groin attacks build character

Muh blog
Nikkinoodles

Postby Gibson Twist » June 25th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Nikkinoodles wrote:Just to make people aware I tried to visit the link to Gibson's writing tutorials a little while ago, from both here and a saved bookmark but it doesn't seem to be working. There's just a page from DreamHost to say the sites on hold or something...

The original site is apparently down. I've had a number of folks ask over the last couple weeks if the tutorial series could be found anywhere else, and it couldn't, so I posted it here for anyone who gives a shit.

Also, I didn't leave in any dramatic fashion. Literally, I said "fuck it" and then stopped posting.
Gibson Twist

Postby YakkitySax » June 26th, 2011, 11:01 pm

I'll change the link for your tutorial.
I love you, spam bots.
jan83fry wrote:It's my pleasure to get an opportunity to discuss in this reputed forum. I love seeing people thrive online. It's such a great opportunity I have today.

My Sketchbook
YakkitySax

Postby Hunterkirizaki » August 11th, 2011, 5:20 pm

I just found a really nice currently 9-part tutorial on drawing more realistic faces in comparison to mainstream Manga styles. Here's part 1.
ImageImageImage
Hunterkirizaki

Postby time_phoenix » August 15th, 2011, 8:38 am

Wow all of this was really useful thanks!
time_phoenix

Postby redandblack64 » September 6th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Don't forget these two topics. The most repeated piece of advice ever.
redandblack64

Postby Thera Dratara » November 15th, 2011, 6:42 pm

I found this website quite recently(read 5 minutes ago):http://www.webcomicbuilder.com/

It has like, loads of tutorials and articles on webcomic making and the like, and the articles seem pretty high-quality.
Thera Dratara

Postby Antitime » November 30th, 2011, 3:28 pm

I just made one, for detailed 'hand-drawn' grass Bgs, I'll post it here rather than waste space elsewhere with it. It's for Paint Tool Sai, but if you know photoshop you can pretty much do the same sort of thing in it.

Spoiler! :
The_Hankerchief wrote:Why choose when you can have 'em all? That's right, I'm talking about a Smack Jeeves Orgy!
Antitime

Postby Thera Dratara » February 4th, 2012, 6:21 am

Found a cell-shading tutorial.

It's not highly revolutionary or anything, but it contains everything beginners should know.
Thera Dratara

Postby hundreds » August 20th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Antitime wrote:I just made one, for detailed 'hand-drawn' grass Bgs, I'll post it here rather than waste space elsewhere with it. It's for Paint Tool Sai, but if you know photoshop you can pretty much do the same sort of thing in it.

Spoiler! :

Thanks so much for this! This is pretty boss.

eishiya wrote:Why is the PSG Art Tutorial not linked yet? It covers the basics in a very easy-to-understand way and covers a lot of things that are important. It's geared at digital artists but the concepts it covers are relevant to all media. I think anyone who wants to colour, in particular, should start here and then go for more in-depth articles.

YES that art tutorial taught me a lot of things I didn't know (and thought I knew!) about really really important practical applications of color. I thought I lost it so thanks for linking it so I could bookmark it!

There's a lot of really good stuff here :O I'm digging this thread.
hundreds

free tutorials from professionals on how to draw the face!

Postby jolokiapepper97 » August 23rd, 2012, 8:45 am

I recently came across this site called PencilKings, where instructors from Walt Disney, Pixar, etc. post video tutorials on how to draw and paint, and unlike most free websites, they don't provide step by step intructions on how to do certain characters. Rather, they teach you their methods on how they draw, so you are actually learning rather than copying! Unfortunately, you do have to pay for most of the lessons, but for a short time, they are allowing people to sign up and watch all their tutorials on how to draw the face for free: http://www.pencilkings.com/free/

I thought I'd share it with you guys, because although I've only been doing it for a few days, I find that the tips are very helpful, whether you are a beginner trying to learn, or a more advanced artist simply brushing up on your skills :D At the moment, my only complaint is that Sycra Yasin (the main instructor) talks quietly :lol:
jolokiapepper97

Postby Geek_hearts » August 23rd, 2012, 8:47 am

This is a really great thread. All these suggested sites are really helping me out. Thanks guys!
Geek_hearts

PreviousNext

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques