Random Comic Tips and Questions

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Random Comic Questions

Postby Rivana » June 15th, 2011, 7:57 am

Didn't see any thread of this sort here and sometimes I got random questions that don't really deserve a thread on its own. Hopefully it can help others too. Feel free to close this if you can direct me to the appropriate thread as well.

My Random Question:

In denoting non-spoken emotions/actions such as 'sigh' , 'pant' , 'sob', etc ...do you put it inside a speech bubble? Is it enclosed with brackets, parentheses , greater/less than signs?

I've seen this before but I can't remember where to find it. >_<
Rivana

Re: Random Comic Questions

Postby eishiya » June 15th, 2011, 8:30 am

There's the random tips thread. Might be good to open that to questions, since people are already repeating themselves there.

Western comic book tradition:
Blambot's grammar article recommends putting them within the speech bubbles in lower-case, no special marks, except for sputters, coughing, etc, which would have breath marks. Remember, this is only for vocalisations, such as the ones you listed. Any non-vocal sound effects would be outside of speech bubbles.
No special font for in-bubble SFX, save for lower-case. If your font lacks lowercase, pick a similar font, or hand-write it in some neat, similar way.

The only time I can think of when you'd use any kind of special character, it would be for foreign languages being translated (<denoted in angle brackets like this>).

My own preference in my current comic is to use SFX marks such as wavy lines, etc, but not write the SFX. This does not allow the use of inline/in-bubble SFX, so if I want mid-phrase SFX, I have to do it with my speech bubble positions and the art. It's often an unnecessary challenge, but given the amount of necessary SFX in the story, I think it works for me. I tend to write "quiet" stories, so the subtle SFX marks are more than adequate. I do use "Hmm" and "Um" in-line, since these are often treated almost like words. Since my font in my comic is already sentence case, I just write them without any distinction. If I use an all-caps font for a comic, I'd probably follow the usual western tradition more. But given my manga influence, I'd probably let them float outside just as much, just because I like the aesthetic effect of that.

Edit: I got H0ly's permission to merge this into the Random Tips thread and change it to a tips/questions thread, so if you'd like, I can do that.
eishiya

Postby Gibson Twist » June 15th, 2011, 8:31 am

Whether it's inside a speech bubble or not, I think it's context dependent. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. More than anything, I think it's a question of how onomatopoetic it is. Yawn or hiss or something like that, I'd probably put it in a bubble. Sigh, pant, sob, things like that, maybe not. Really, it's one of those things you need to go with your artistic instinct. However, neither is wrong, it's just style.

As for the punctuation, I'd go for something more stylistic with the font over brackets or parentheses. Italics, bolding, maybe even a different font. Again, though, everyone does it differently. Try different things and see what gels best with your own art.

That's my answer, anyway.
Gibson Twist

Postby Rivana » June 15th, 2011, 8:47 am

Thanks Eish and Gibson! I gotta bookmark that Blambot link when I get home. ^^

And feel free to merge this. I just made a new thread because I thought the other one is just for random tips.
Rivana

Re: Random Comic Tips and Questions

Postby Rivana » June 28th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Quick question:

How do you enter the whisker symbols via keyboard (or any other method)? I see it as part of the package in the font I am using from blambot.com but I can't find the ascii keyboard sequence for it.

Rivana

Postby eishiya » June 29th, 2011, 12:10 am

Breath marks aren't an actual character in any computer character set, so they replace some other character. It varies by font. Try { } and [ ]. I think Blambot's fonts have it on { and }, but not all fonts have breath marks.
eishiya

Postby Rivana » June 29th, 2011, 6:34 am

eishiya wrote:Breath marks aren't an actual character in any computer character set, so they replace some other character. It varies by font. Try { } and [ ]. I think Blambot's fonts have it on { and }, but not all fonts have breath marks.

Thank you! It was the curly brace <3
Rivana

Postby Nikkinoodles » July 8th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Don't have pens or pencils near your work area if you're using a tablet. I tend to get the two pen shaped objects mixed up and have nearly used a biro on my tablet a couple of times.. I hate to think of how it would have reacted to that...
Eishiya said: wrote:groin attacks build character

Muh blog
Nikkinoodles

Postby pwii » July 8th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Each and every character should be the main character of their own story. But the most interesting story should be the main characters'.

Try and imagining characters if they were a minority/ the other sex. It might work better that way.
Shoprocks wrote:Surely it's no coincidence that the more I talk about the characters, the gayer they get.

Interterrestrial wrote:...and I can tell you strange things that you probably never wanted to know like the fact that I have a can of beets in my closet and I didn't put it there
pwii

Postby Patroness » August 17th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Never have a character just standing there, doing nothing and looking boring.
People make gestures, have expressions, etc. Your characters should too!

Also, play with angles and lighting!

Patroness

Postby mitchellbravo » August 17th, 2011, 4:46 pm

^As an addendum to that, everyone* hates drawing hands, but they can be so useful in conveying expression. If you draw them more you will get better at them and won't hate them anymore, and soon everyone will be praising you. Not everyone walks around all shlooped over with their hands in their pockets or conveniently in their laps under the table or tucked behind their back all cute-like all the time. Scratch belly, adjust glasses, pick up cell phone, scratch crotchregion, point at someone, give thumbs up, pick crap between teeth. Hands do a lot.

*no, not EVERYONE. not me, for instance. but i've heard it from enough people to generalize.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby blankd » August 17th, 2011, 6:04 pm

An addendum to the addendum, don't go overboard with the hand language- it's only a small part of body language.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby mitchellbravo » August 17th, 2011, 6:42 pm

blankd wrote:An addendum to the addendum, don't go overboard with the hand language- it's only a small part of body language.

True, although I've never seen someone overuse hands. In my roaming, if they're being misused, they're usually being hidden away and ignored. I could see what you mean though, in theory, just have never come across it myself.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby gevans1961 » August 17th, 2011, 7:04 pm

How does my comic look?

My other webcomic "The Business of Fashion" --> http://www.mangamagazine.net/manga-and-comics/The-Business-of-Fashion/detail-page/1242?lang=en It's about people that work in the apparel industry.
gevans1961

Postby MemaiShirosaki » August 17th, 2011, 7:45 pm

gevans1961 wrote:How does my comic look?

I'd say this is probably better placed in its own thread, that way others can give crits specifically aimed towards aspects in your comic. Like, some users could give you better ideas for anatomy practice, some users could give you tips on layouts, etc. I know you're waiting for a review (that usually takes a while), but it doesn't hurt to be upfront and ask those who you think know better :>

But uhh.. I digress :'D

Your comic definitely has potential, but as I've said time and time again, you have to clean up your inks and be careful about overlapping lines. Just basically clean the comic up; practice your inking, or clean up overlapping lines using white opaque ink (or even white acrylic paint if you're going the el cheapo route) and work on your anatomy :> You can always post sketches and ask for critiques then, because if your sketch starts to look wonky, inks and color won't save it.
MemaiShirosaki

PreviousNext

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques