Random Comic Tips and Questions

Discuss the art of creating art here. Share tutorials and tips with your fellow comic creators.

Re: Random Comic Tips and Questions

Postby gevans1961 » August 17th, 2011, 8:19 pm

MemaiShirosaki wrote:
gevans1961 wrote:How does my comic look?

I'd say this is probably better placed in its own thread, that way others can give crits specifically aimed towards aspects in your comic. Like, some users could give you better ideas for anatomy practice, some users could give you tips on layouts, etc. I know you're waiting for a review (that usually takes a while), but it doesn't hurt to be upfront and ask those who you think know better :>

But uhh.. I digress :'D

Your comic definitely has potential, but as I've said time and time again, you have to clean up your inks and be careful about overlapping lines. Just basically clean the comic up; practice your inking, or clean up overlapping lines using white opaque ink (or even white acrylic paint if you're going the el cheapo route) and work on your anatomy :> You can always post sketches and ask for critiques then, because if your sketch starts to look wonky, inks and color won't save it.

Thanks!

My other webcomic "The Business of Fashion" --> http://www.mangamagazine.net/manga-and-comics/The-Business-of-Fashion/detail-page/1242?lang=en It's about people that work in the apparel industry.
gevans1961

Postby blankd » August 18th, 2011, 2:28 am

mitchellbravo wrote:
blankd wrote:An addendum to the addendum, don't go overboard with the hand language- it's only a small part of body language.

True, although I've never seen someone overuse hands. In my roaming, if they're being misused, they're usually being hidden away and ignored. I could see what you mean though, in theory, just have never come across it myself.

The mistake can present itself that the person always looks like they're using their hands to explain something (open palms) or always pointing at the other person they are conversing with or look like they're flailing their arms as they're speaking.
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 18th, 2011, 6:11 am

blankd wrote:
mitchellbravo wrote:
blankd wrote:An addendum to the addendum, don't go overboard with the hand language- it's only a small part of body language.

True, although I've never seen someone overuse hands. In my roaming, if they're being misused, they're usually being hidden away and ignored. I could see what you mean though, in theory, just have never come across it myself.

The mistake can present itself that the person always looks like they're using their hands to explain something (open palms) or always pointing at the other person they are conversing with or look like they're flailing their arms as they're speaking.

It's a character thing, because there are some people who would be like this (I'm actually included as one of those people) but it is a more rare case. If you've got a shy bookish girl, she's not going to wave her hands around the place dramatically, but if you've got an excitable person who's explaining something, the hands are gonna be all over the place.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby blankd » August 18th, 2011, 7:57 am

SuperBiasedMan wrote:
blankd wrote:The mistake can present itself that the person always looks like they're using their hands to explain something (open palms) or always pointing at the other person they are conversing with or look like they're flailing their arms as they're speaking.

It's a character thing, because there are some people who would be like this (I'm actually included as one of those people) but it is a more rare case. If you've got a shy bookish girl, she's not going to wave her hands around the place dramatically, but if you've got an excitable person who's explaining something, the hands are gonna be all over the place.

To clarify, what I'm talking about is Buckley Face but applied to hand gestures, there's quirks and then there's "well as long as the hands aren't hidden I'm doing it right!" mentality. (Kind of like how some artists think that by avoiding the generic anime face they are automatically avoiding same-face syndrome.)
SuperBiasedMan wrote:Just because you've proven something blankd doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Image Image
blankd

Postby mitchellbravo » August 18th, 2011, 11:31 am

blankd wrote:
SuperBiasedMan wrote:
blankd wrote:The mistake can present itself that the person always looks like they're using their hands to explain something (open palms) or always pointing at the other person they are conversing with or look like they're flailing their arms as they're speaking.

To clarify, what I'm talking about is Buckley Face but applied to hand gestures, there's quirks and then there's "well as long as the hands aren't hidden I'm doing it right!" mentality. (Kind of like how some artists think that by avoiding the generic anime face they are automatically avoiding same-face syndrome.)

Huh! Learn something new every day. I honestly have never seen anyone use this as a crutch. Ok, revised addendum, use hands when appropriate to the character and plot- do not hide them, but they needn't be present in every panel.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby RainbowAurora » August 18th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Is it better to spend more time on a page to make it look better, or is it best to always get it out by the deadline?
RainbowAurora

Postby Ddraigeneth » August 18th, 2011, 5:00 pm

I would think that, ideally, you should arrange your schedule so that you have enough time to make the page exactly how you want it while still meeting deadlines. That's also a good reason to have a few pages done before you start putting it up, so you have a buffer ready and you're not rushing to finish every page right before it needs to be posted.
Ddraigeneth

Postby mitchellbravo » August 18th, 2011, 5:12 pm

RainbowAurora wrote:Is it better to spend more time on a page to make it look better, or is it best to always get it out by the deadline?

Either way, someone will be frustrated. Miss your deadline, upset people who were looking forward to reading something; churn out something sub-par, people feel disappointed. Not upset/disappointed like they're going to never read your comic again (although do it often enough and they might), but it sets a bad precedence, I guess.

Ddraigeneth pretty much got it covered. But I realize it's not always feasible to do that.

Personally, I opt for the former- I'll hold back until I've completed something. I've known some artists who will put up whatever stage they've finished in order to meet the deadline- the sketch, the inking, wherever they stopped. I'm too vain though, and feel embarassed by the errors I've made and need to clean them up on the computer before I'll post them, and if I'm going to spend time editing something I might as well just hold out and wait until I've got the whole thing ready to be edited. I realize that missing deadlines is bad form, but it is what it is.
oly: we draw stories about imaginary people
Do not feet infants to honey under one year of age.
me: Posh, Baby, Sporty, and Scary Ham
robybang: Together they're Spiced Ham
mitchellbravo

Postby eishiya » August 18th, 2011, 5:55 pm

RainbowAurora wrote:Is it better to spend more time on a page to make it look better, or is it best to always get it out by the deadline?

Seconding the buffer suggestion, as it gets around this problem. Some pages are quick, some take a long time, and a buffer lets you have that fluctuation without impacting your schedule.

If it takes you more than a week to do a page and you're not slacking, you're probably in dire need of finding new techniques, however.
eishiya

Postby SuperBiasedMan » August 18th, 2011, 6:55 pm

As others have said, both are important, but for which I would say is more important?

Be on time.
I find that if I delay too much and procrastinate it can become a slippery slope. Once you've missed a deadline you feel like you can spend longer on it because you've already missed the deadline anyway, and then it's entirely possible that you could go so long you miss/delay the next update too and that can snowball on you easily.

As long as you are trying, you will improve your ability with making pages as you go. You always have the option to go back and improve a page after it's been updated and you're up to schedule.

Generally fans are more forgiving about poor quality artwork (as long as they can understand what's happening) than they are about a delay or missed update.
Snuffan and on a separate occasion, my dad wrote:"don´t be a girls who needs a man, be the girl a man need"

SuperBiasedMan

Postby RainbowAurora » August 19th, 2011, 2:44 pm

SuperBiasedMan wrote:

As others have said, both are important, but for which I would say is more important?

Be on time.
I find that if I delay too much and procrastinate it can become a slippery slope. Once you've missed a deadline you feel like you can spend longer on it because you've already missed the deadline anyway, and then it's entirely possible that you could go so long you miss/delay the next update too and that can snowball on you easily.

As long as you are trying, you will improve your ability with making pages as you go. You always have the option to go back and improve a page after it's been updated and you're up to schedule.

Generally fans are more forgiving about poor quality artwork (as long as they can understand what's happening) than they are about a delay or missed update.

OK, that helps. I've been wanting to make my comic more often for a while now. I'll have to try to make that dream come true.
RainbowAurora

Postby diceknight » August 19th, 2011, 3:06 pm

One thing I'm curious about that isn't related so much to the comic as it is to SJ itself; how do people get so many fans? I admit I get a little discouraged when I see, like... _____ comic has only one page up, already double the fan amount I have, and I've been at it for three months. >.>
diceknight

Postby eishiya » August 19th, 2011, 3:14 pm

diceknight wrote:One thing I'm curious about that isn't related so much to the comic as it is to SJ itself; how do people get so many fans? I admit I get a little discouraged when I see, like... _____ comic has only one page up, already double the fan amount I have, and I've been at it for three months. >.>

There are already lots of threads about this in General Discussion and Business of Comics, check those out.

I'll PM my thoughts about this, but for the sake of not derailing this thread, let's not discuss this subject in this thread.
eishiya

Postby Ddraigeneth » August 19th, 2011, 3:15 pm

diceknight wrote:One thing I'm curious about that isn't related so much to the comic as it is to SJ itself; how do people get so many fans?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6086
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7859
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7860
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8069

Oftentimes, when a comic has fans before anything's even posted, it's because people are familiar with the artist and excited to see what comes.

Edit: As Lana said.
Ddraigeneth

Postby diceknight » August 19th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to ask off topic; I was reading the thread and the question popped into my head. Thanks for the links. :)
diceknight

PreviousNext

Return to Art Tutorials & Techniques