Happy Valentine's Day to Smackjeeves!

Kick back and chat it up with other Jeeves Smackers.

Happy Valentine's Day to Smackjeeves!

Postby MK_Wizard » February 14th, 2018, 7:55 am

Hey, all love needs to be celebrated! With that said, I love you, Smackjeeves. You welcomed me here, you helped me meet great people and you boost my confidence. You are one of my many Valentines today!

Come on, everybody! Wish Smackjeeves a Happy Valentine's Day with me!
MK_Wizard

Re: Happy Valentine's Day to Smackjeeves!

Postby eishiya » February 14th, 2018, 9:54 am

Hyvää ystävänpäivää to those who aren't into the whole Valentine's thing or the romance thing :D Happy Friend Day.
eishiya

Postby kayotics » February 14th, 2018, 10:44 am

eishiya wrote:Hyvää ystävänpäivää

Is that... Finnish? Is that a friend day thing?

I hope this isn't coming off rude, I'm just honestly curious about the cultural story here.

Happy Valentine's day to all y'all at Smackjeeves anyway! I hope you have a good one, and if you hate the holiday, I hope this year isn't too bad for you.
kayotics

Postby eishiya » February 14th, 2018, 10:55 am

kayotics wrote:
eishiya wrote:Hyvää ystävänpäivää

Is that... Finnish? Is that a friend day thing?

I hope this isn't coming off rude, I'm just honestly curious about the cultural story here.

Happy Valentine's day to all y'all at Smackjeeves anyway! I hope you have a good one, and if you hate the holiday, I hope this year isn't too bad for you.

Yep, it's Finnish. "Ystävänpäivä" is Friend Day (ystävä [friend] + -n [genitive suffix] + päivä [day]), hyvää ystävänpäivää is "happy/good friend day". Sadly I can't provide the cultural story as I'm not Finnish and only learned about the holiday today. Looking at the Wikipedia article on it though, there doesn't seem to be a lot to it other than what's obvious :D
eishiya

Postby Glueckskeks » February 14th, 2018, 11:52 am

Happy 14th February! Some friends are arranged some sort of get-together, but it seems a lot less organized than I first thought and I have a headache and my productivity for anything (even, like, playing video games) has been so ridiculously close to zero that I'm not sure I want to go.

But generally, I just ignore this day and don't really get why people get so hung up on it. But having a friendship day sounds nice.
Glueckskeks

Postby MK_Wizard » February 14th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Glueckskeks wrote:Happy 14th February! Some friends are arranged some sort of get-together, but it seems a lot less organized than I first thought and I have a headache and my productivity for anything (even, like, playing video games) has been so ridiculously close to zero that I'm not sure I want to go.

But generally, I just ignore this day and don't really get why people get so hung up on it. But having a friendship day sounds nice.

Exactly! It astounds me that people go around hating love yet forget how important the friendships in their life is.
MK_Wizard

Postby JoKeR » February 14th, 2018, 3:40 pm

We have Ascher Mittwoch ...finally are all the fools home and Karneval is over.

-=: jokercologne.deviantart twitter.com/JoKeRcologne joker-cologne.tumblr :=-

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
JoKeR

Postby MK_Wizard » February 14th, 2018, 3:43 pm

JoKeR wrote:We have Ascher Mittwoch ...finally are all the fools home and Karneval is over.

Ha!
MK_Wizard

Postby Oly-RRR » February 14th, 2018, 4:04 pm

MK_Wizard wrote:It astounds me that people go around hating love yet forget how important the friendships in their life is

I think it's not so much people hating love as people hating the commercial image of love... With red butt-shaped hearts and casual guilt-tripping of single/asexual people. :?

So yeah, happy Friend Day! :mrgreen: Also how cool it is that it already exists (I mean as a recognized holiday).

Funny fact, I got laid off the previous Valentines day but it only led to good things happening. So it's also my anniversary of not having that crappy job any more. :lol:
You can't compare shooting a stag with lasers to putting on women's clothing!!! - Liz Carr on Ouch!
You know you're overweight when your stab-vest starts riding up and looking a bit like a crop-top... - Alfie Moore
Oly-RRR

Postby MK_Wizard » February 14th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Oly-RRR wrote:
MK_Wizard wrote:It astounds me that people go around hating love yet forget how important the friendships in their life is

I think it's not so much people hating love as people hating the commercial image of love... With red butt-shaped hearts and casual guilt-tripping of single/asexual people. :?

So yeah, happy Friend Day! :mrgreen: Also how cool it is that it already exists (I mean as a recognized holiday).

Funny fact, I got laid off the previous Valentines day but it only led to good things happening. So it's also my anniversary of not having that crappy job any more. :lol:

Hear hear, friend.
MK_Wizard

Return to General Discussion